Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:12 AM   #1

Default HD Camcorder, which to Purchase?

Hello,

I'm searching for a good HD camcorder.
I want:
- Very good HD quality.
- Good image-stabilizer.
- Spend max. 300 US Dollars.
- Normal/Good battery life.
- Enough framerates to record a footballmatch or something else.

I've searched a lot and have found a lot of interesting items:
- Aiptek Action-HD GVS (I think it is the Aiptek Z600/Z700 in Europe).
- Sanyo CG10
- Toshiba (S10, P10, P30)
- Portable Camcorders: Flip UltraHD, Flip MinoHD, Creative VadoHD, Kodak Zi8.

Which one is the best to take, according to the video quality? Good still image quality isn't needed because I've the Canon 1000D SLR.

So what I want to know, what is the best HD camcorder for around 300 US Dollar or less.

Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited by fishycomics; Aug 28, 2009 at 6:40 AM. Reason: tak, sounds like on a trip, purchase fits more of a decision
B-BAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:31 AM   #2

None in that price range have a good image stabilizer. If that's important you may have to drop the HD and go for a Standard Definition Camcorder.

Depends on what you mean by 'Good Battery Life'. Do you want to record for 2 hours continuosly for instance? In which case none will fit the bill but if you record in short bursts then battery life is not such an issue as long as you carry a spare or two.

If you intend to record football then the Flip video and lookalikes are out because none of them have optical zoom.

The Sanyo CG10 only records 60fps in 640x480

so that leaves the Aiptek GVS which has a decent 720p/60fps mode.

I don't know about the Toshiba so others can chime in.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:44 AM   #3

I've seen the Aiptek GVS (Z600, Z700) and the 60FPS in 720P mode looks very interesting. But the videoquality I've seen on youtube looks fewer and worser than the Flip UltraHD and other small camcorders. I know they haven't image stabilizer but the prices are good and the quality good. Let I say it others: stabilizer isn't needed, but only the best cam quality for the best price even when I'am recording something that is moving. Battery life indeed around the 1,5h continious filming. 1h is also good, but not less.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4

I guess video quality is subjective but the video from the GVS can look stunning on a large screen. The colors in the Aiptek GVS aren't as rich as other camcorders. In fact they tend to me more lifelike which is why they can sometimes appear dull. The Aiptek is far more versatile than the Flip Ultra though.

Here are a couple of small video clips I took with my GVS:

Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:29 PM   #5

hello all,,

i am also in the process of getting one of this compact HD video cameras. I have two minds, one for the aiptek z700 and the other for aiptek h5 extreme.

i want to film in true 16.9, the h5 seems to do it (read it in other forums) but i am not too sure about the z700 (or gvs in the states).

rgvcam, could you answer that question? your videos seems to be 16:9, is that interpolation?

thanks

r
rasnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:05 PM   #6

rgvcam,

so do you think the gvs is unusable is the videographer is moving??

in what cameras image stabalizer is worth looking at?

thanks

ras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
None in that price range have a good image stabilizer. If that's important you may have to drop the HD and go for a Standard Definition Camcorder.

Depends on what you mean by 'Good Battery Life'. Do you want to record for 2 hours continuosly for instance? In which case none will fit the bill but if you record in short bursts then battery life is not such an issue as long as you carry a spare or two.

If you intend to record football then the Flip video and lookalikes are out because none of them have optical zoom.

The Sanyo CG10 only records 60fps in 640x480

so that leaves the Aiptek GVS which has a decent 720p/60fps mode.

I don't know about the Toshiba so others can chime in.
rasnoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnoland View Post
hello all,,

i am also in the process of getting one of this compact HD video cameras. I have two minds, one for the aiptek z700 and the other for aiptek h5 extreme.

i want to film in true 16.9, the h5 seems to do it (read it in other forums) but i am not too sure about the z700 (or gvs in the states).

rgvcam, could you answer that question? your videos seems to be 16:9, is that interpolation?

thanks

r
yes all the video modes on the GVS are 16:9 although the 1080p mode is only 1440 but it is anamorphic in that it has the 16:9 flag so when played back it is stretched to 16:9 widescreen. Even many more expensive cameras did this, or still do in the lower modes ie Canon HF100 still uses 1440 unless you use the top quality mode.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasnoland View Post
rgvcam,

so do you think the gvs is unusable is the videographer is moving??

in what cameras image stabalizer is worth looking at?

thanks

ras
By moving I assume you mean walking? No it won't work with that so you may want to look elsewhere. Perhaps one with OIS.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:57 PM   #9

Here is another video shot with the Aiptek GVS that I just uploaded to vimeo.com:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/995796-post7.html
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:36 AM   #10

The quality looks good, but I think that some video's on youtube from pocket HD camera's such as Zi8, UltraHD, MinoHD, VadoHD gives better quality. Is that posible? And why not to take the Sanyo CG10? And I think that I will spend maximum 250 US Dollars, which is than the best camcorder to take according to the HD video quality, even when I'm moving? I don't matter which brand the cam has, only the cam quality and a reasonable batterylife is important.