Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:23 AM   #1

Default GH1 Video portraits/first post

Hello all,
this is my first post here, a big fan of Steve's reviews I finally signed up for the forums, which look great! Now I am looking forward to your cc on my work. Since the introduction of the Nikon D90 I kind of got hooked on video.
Check out my video portraits shot with the Panasonic GH1, let me know what you think.
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=215
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=233
look forward hearing from you.
cheers,
Mike
Mike Kobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:51 AM   #2

Welcome aboard Mike kobal...

when at my home pc I'll check the clips out. I am sure this is some competitive stuff for the hybrid section, enjoy the site, and thanks for joining

editeddue to sites pics LOL they were of the SLR camera not a hybrid LOL

Last edited by fishycomics; Sep 3, 2009 at 1:41 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:54 AM   #3

thanks fishycomics, now going to check out what you got there
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4

Nice work though as fishycomics said they are really SLR's.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 9:26 AM   #5

thanks rgvcam, true for the nikon and canon, but I dont consider the GH1 as SLR
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kobal View Post
thanks rgvcam, true for the nikon and canon, but I dont consider the GH1 as SLR
Well I guess if you go by the old definition of film cameras where they had a mirror but it still has the interchangeable lens design. Digital cameras don't actually need the mirror anymore like the old film cameras as they don't have any film they need to keep from exposing.

I assume the only advantage of the traditional Single Lens Reflex Design is that you are not viewing the image through the sensor and so get a 'cleaner' view but as technology improves I can only assume they will do away with the mirror on all the SLR's eventually and just use live view especially as video and still image functions are combined.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

again, this is some great videography. i really love the high contrast b&w presentation. and love the intimate feel to them. great stuff.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Well I guess if you go by the old definition of film cameras where they had a mirror but it still has the interchangeable lens design. Digital cameras don't actually need the mirror anymore like the old film cameras as they don't have any film they need to keep from exposing.

I assume the only advantage of the traditional Single Lens Reflex Design is that you are not viewing the image through the sensor and so get a 'cleaner' view but as technology improves I can only assume they will do away with the mirror on all the SLR's eventually and just use live view especially as video and still image functions are combined.
Actually, the only function the mirror has since the very beginning of its invention is to let you look through the lens that exposes the film. the shutter keeps the light away from film and sensor alike, not the mirror. Now we dont need the mirror anymore because we can see what the sensor records. SLR stand for Single Lens Reflex, versus twin lens reflex, where you had an additional lens to look through and frame your image and a prime lens to record onto film. This shows that the term SLR for a camera like the GH1 is totally wrong, since there is nothing in the camera reflecting anything . It is a digital camera with interchangable lenses and live view, not a SLR. it does not bother me that the term is being used incorrectly, but if you are trying to explain it, you better know what you are talking about.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 7:41 PM   #9

thanks Hards80
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:19 PM   #10

Yes you are quite correct it is the shutter that prevents the film being exposed. I don't know why I said the mirror, but what I was getting at is that the mirror is superfluous in modern digital cameras.

Regardless of whether it has a mirror, the GH1 is still pretty much nearer an SLR type of camera than a regular compact camera. Of course the lines between the different camera types are blurring fast and it's pretty much getting to the point where the only real difference will be in how you hold then!

The only SLR that I have is an old Praktica MTL 50 which was a bargain camera in it's day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kobal View Post
Actually, the only function the mirror has since the very beginning of its invention is to let you look through the lens that exposes the film. the shutter keeps the light away from film and sensor alike, not the mirror. Now we dont need the mirror anymore because we can see what the sensor records. SLR stand for Single Lens Reflex, versus twin lens reflex, where you had an additional lens to look through and frame your image and a prime lens to record onto film. This shows that the term SLR for a camera like the GH1 is totally wrong, since there is nothing in the camera reflecting anything . It is a digital camera with interchangable lenses and live view, not a SLR. it does not bother me that the term is being used incorrectly, but if you are trying to explain it, you better know what you are talking about.