Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:16 AM   #11

OK, Finally downloaded the manual of the Samsung. I must say I would be impressed, except that the QVC link you posted has so many negative comments, and so few positive ones. The QVC site would not work on my browser, but I changed to ie.

To: d:\My Documents\U10_user_manual.pdf

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...V-_-HP-_-IMAGE

I'll try a blow by blow account:

Well, bitrates, there are plenty, up to around 17.77Mb/s, but still a poultry 11.85mb/s for 720p60, but that is still a significant improvement over the 5.x- theoretically max of 9mb/s that many cameras here are using. This is in contradiction to the figures on the website catalog download, of 5, 4 and 3mb/s (thankfully) which seems like it refers to some sort fo TV resolution, but includes normal mode, that is not in the manual.

It says 120fps, but basically as a low 320x240 resolution, but playback is limited to 1/2speed (if they could slow that down to 1/4 or 1/8th that would also have been nice). Still, if you knew what you were doing you might be able to do it through computer software. Still, what is also needed is a hi-speed button, so that in any shooting mode you can press the button, and get the last one second of footage paralleled recorded in 120fps, and continue to as long as you are pressing the button (of course, this is unlikely to work in the higher bitrate modes without temporarily suspending the mode to record 120fps, due to processing constraints). 240fps would be better, or 640*480 resolution, but I am just grateful to have 120fps QVGA (which is much more suitable for the parallel record system just suggested).

NO REMOTE< warning, no REMOTE. It is a shame they cannot include a couple of dollar remote, because it helps a lot in record and playback. A thought, a bluetooth remote and external microphones. Not having a remote is not what I associate with an product of this quality.

Has anybody figured out how people are supposed to film themselves with these blogger cameras?

Features, much more advanced then my Aiptek Hi Speed, probably less grainy too. But still a very basic camera, no settable shutter, gain exposure, color, sharpness, color, but just enough to get going.

I do not know how advanced the editing software is, but it indicates a filename change with editing. I hope this is not indicative of re-encoding/transcoding the file stream, and it uses high quality native editing instead. I have a camera that does this, and once you uncompress from one system and then re-compress to another encoding software (even if the same type), you can loose some quality.

The editing software in on camera for fast download and installation, on any machine you come across. But what happens when you sell your camera, or it dies, and the software on your PC becomes corrupt? You will need the software to reinstall it to edit the footage. Let's hope separate software is downloadable. No Mac, non Linux, mentioned.

No, Microphone, and Microphone settable gain and anti wind noise controls. One major let down if not only image noise, exposure latitude problems, but also cracking, distorted, popping microphone noises and general whining and other noises in the sound track. Guys remember the 96/96 rule, aim for 96db SNR+ of low image noise and 96db SNR 16bit+ stereo to 5.1 audio clarity. Sure the microphone/electronics might not be able to handle it, but it will help with what they are recording. 12bit/mono/stereo with 50db SNR is definitely out.

No, HDMI.

Samples, oh samples, often so nice looking, but many comments on the QVC site are negative about actual image quality, but some positive.

Much complaint is made about low light recording ability and lack of flash at the same time as image complaints. There is graininess, but how much? Graininess is very common with these types of cameras in low light. Flash and leds should be included, I would attach a pocket led torch myself. So what is happening?

I guess that the sensor might not be the advance that the samples indicate on the one hand. Looking at the picture of the girl under the tree on the Samsung site more closely, indicates that the surrounding country side is burnt out, but the girl is well lit instead of being dark at the same time, so maybe the latitude performance is acceptable for this type of camera. Is this Sensor new micron (aptiva?), or the competing one posted here last year, or Sony, or Samsung? Some of these senors would definitely give superior daytime performance and altitude and some better night time performance, but still with some noise (though Samsung has access to technology that can do this noiseless, if available and they choose to).

With fixed lens you might have to look out for the focus not being so sharp.

Other things. Well, for such a camera as this not much more is expected then that mentioned. Sure, one day all these cameras might have GPS location direction and angle geotagging, better high sped etc, but for the moment if actual low light and daytime footage and stills can stack up, it might be a great basic camera.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:58 AM   #12

watched a excellent demo vid....

I see that the U10 has two covers , so I may like/dislike thecam. not a fan for these rubber banded glued backing lol,
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:12 AM   #13

Got news, the camera is to be available at Dick Smith electronics retail chain in Australia, not somewhere I normally keep an eye out for hybrid cameras. They are to be released on the 15th, but when they get here might be up to December (when is that next Kodak available, really would like 60fps fullhd progressive at 24mb/s). There are a few other Samsung sellers in town, but for some reason we don't get many models (I know the reason).

But I don't know if I want to buy this one, I would wish a credible quality stereo microphone port (alongside a quality internal microphone) at CD+ sampling rates, and remote. As long as the high bit rate video quality is there with low noise and high latitude, the small size compensates for the lack in other areas I have not mentioned.

Samsung has access to some fantastic low light tech, hopefully one day it gets to these cameras one day. It is a shame that you can't trust people, and the consumer cameras should be limited to the performance level of human low light full color noiseless vision. I could certainly do excellent stuff myself with lower level light performance.

Am currently asking RCA about their new excellent sounding EZ409HD camera, 60 frames or fields 1080, 10mp photos (but what is the native resolution), have to find the thread.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:37 AM   #14

the samsung is out here in the USA in NYC 169.99 20.00 off at bestbuy.
its sweet to heare them hitting locations but I am sure all the bells and whisltes will be on your wish list while all that video you're missing out on LOL
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:38 AM   #15

BTW, that demo looks similar to the flash footage of another camera, r10, I think.

All this downsizing is interesting. Progressing forward, if hybrids can hit fullhd p60 24mb/s beginning of next year, they might be able to hit super hd (8mp video at 100mb/s) in three years (don't freak out, storage should be able to keep up in the short term, and it is really not that much, professionally 100mb/s is not much, and on the higher end we might consider even recording over 600MByte/s (now that is expensive and difficult), in future we are moving towards camera sensors that output over 10GB/s before compression). Funny, remember some other people doubting me that hybrids would hit 60fps 24mb/s when they did (Sanyo first last year).
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the samsung is out here in the USA in NYC 169.99 20.00 off at bestbuy.
its sweet to heare them hitting locations but I am sure all the bells and whisltes will be on your wish list while all that video you're missing out on LOL
I have one hi speed disappointment to use, so I prefer to wait for something really nicer.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:25 PM   #17

I hear I like certain things , but at times I just bite the bullet.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:44 AM   #18

Have a hispeed bullet already, I can wait a bit while I am busy.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:29 PM   #19

what amazed me on a video was that the Samsung hmx-U10 has THREE MICS, andareal sterio sound difference WOW!.