Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Ipod Nano with h264 VGA Video Camera!

This new nano has got the makings of a flip video killer. Sure, it's not 720p but considering it's size and that the second most carried device after a phone has surely got to be an mp3 player, it's got be giving flip video some restless nights.

More here:

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features/
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:10 PM   #2

starting at 150 not bad.
640x480 vga with H264 codec hmmm thinking
battery life:
24 hr audio 5 hr video combined not much more I bet 8 hours?

I think it's not a bad device, but I still get 16 hours fresh battery when newer, 12 hours used.

looks awesome though.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:28 PM   #3

It remains to be seen if the video quality is any good though as it isn't quite clear at this stage what the bitrate is. It says it holds up to 8 or 16 hours of video (depending on model) based on a 1.5Mbps bitrate which is about half that of most VGA hybrids. But it doesn't make it clear if they are on about video in general including downloads from itunes or if they include the video camera. I guess we'll find out once we can get hold of sample raw video.

The price is good as these nanos seem to have twice the capacity of a similar Flip video for the same price. Having said that, it has to be remembered that the nano fixed memory is not dedicated just to video like the flips and has to share space with all the other multimedia that a user may have.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:01 PM   #4

Its a Mp3/mp4 player so hd quality will be dedicated to the mp3/4 player. and sure not to the pc, or mac on monitor, I am probably incorrect, but more pixals to the lil screen and making a clearer video to watch.
I do not care for 5 hours of playback, I do care for 24 hours of playback, and said i have 16 hours of playback video, aud,or both.

just my 2 cents. LOL
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Here is a sample video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-I--4JrERI

You can see by the slight wobble that it has a CMOS sensor but otherwise not too bad. Similar to the original SD flip video.

Of course, many cellphones have this video quality now, but those with VGA quality video are still a lot more expensive unless you get them with a contract. If you have no need of a phone but want the other functions, then this is the next best thing.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:35 PM   #6

this really rocks, I am sure if sold a lot less, i pcik one up but not at 150 plus. a little steep for a mp3/4 player.

video puts away a standard def cam and a company WOW, never mentioning a name company

Great job ipod......
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
this really rocks, I am sure if sold a lot less, i pcik one up but not at 150 plus. a little steep for a mp3/4 player.

video puts away a standard def cam and a company WOW, never mentioning a name company

Great job ipod......
I actually think $149 is not a bad price really but I am not in a hurry to get one as I already have a good MP3 player ie my Insignia Pilot, plus the ipod doesn't have bluetooth which I use with my car stereo.

If you intend to use it a lot for video it would make sense though to get the 16GB version for $179.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:34 PM   #8

Agree, it is a great buy, the sound was tinny or higher and not super loud. If theModel has av inpu WOW watch out, otherwise its astill a purchse for those who needa mp3/4
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Agree, it is a great buy, the sound was tinny or higher and not super loud. If theModel has av inpu WOW watch out, otherwise its astill a purchse for those who needa mp3/4
Yeah would be nice, although you can purchase AV out cables for your TV.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:59 AM   #10

Default I got one, but it's Blue, I really wanted Pink

I am a gadget nut. I wanted to get that out in the open first. I was given two 512mb iPod shuffles (the gumstick version) love 'em but doesn't hold many songs.

I got the iTouch 32GB. Great! I am sure you know most of what it does. Does not disappoint.

I have the iPhone 3G 16GB. Camera is marginal. 2.0mp and shoots a constant 2.8 aperture. Never did upgrade along with the other parts of the phone which I have current to 3.1. *sigh* The iPhone 3Gs has a better camera 3.1mp and has ability to choose your focus point. It also has video which I wanted to have but since I am in contract with my current iPhone I wasn't about to spend what amounted to $600.00 to get those features. Besides, I do have better cameras and enjoy using my Casio EX-V8 which does a nice job with shooting video with stereo sound but the wind noise is just horrible and does not do very well in lower light situations.

Now to my point of this post. I got the iPod Nano Video 16GB. The FM radio which was not mentioned is just great. It was a snap to get it up and running but it does not have any instructions per se with the iPod Nano Video. You need to acquire that online which I have yet to bother with. I have been to busy dinking with this. The video is good even in low light situations. It does seem to smear the details a bit to cut down on the noise and artifacts. Obviously, it looks good on the little view screen on the Nano. The sound is actually very good. This Nano also records voice much like a dictation recorder. You will need what I already got with my iPhone and set of earbuds with built in mic.

The price for all that this does and the face it is small light and easy to use makes this a much a part of what I now carry with me along with my iPhone 3G. The price and features are the best bang for you buck IMHO. Battery life, recording time and so on just makes this an easy one for me to make the purchase and enjoy the heck out of this thing.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote