Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:04 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
You have made my day. Do you think the 200 does this as well? I don't see Gloria coming on line on Skype, so I think it may be because of their new year thing in China.
You're probably right. New Years will definitely slow things down for a while.
Gloria was VERY FAST in returning emails.
I'm sure she will reply as soon as she's back in her office.

Let us know how it works out for you.
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:12 AM   #92

FWIW I just ordered the 33281 from Dealextreme.

This appears to be the same as the F500HD from what I read.
Wouldn't you agree? I'd say you've got it coming already!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:24 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
FWIW I just ordered the
Quote:
33281 from Dealextreme.

This appears to be the same as the F500HD from what I read.
Wouldn't you agree? I'd say you've got it coming already!

*** Whoops, I wrote too soon.
The 33281 / HD DV 200 is the F200HD.

The extra menu items I have on the F500HD are:

USB IN
VIDEO FLIP

VERSION V2.0.1 085-K

Makes all the difference for using it in the car.

BTW, sorry about not just editing my words, but for some reason the system won't accept an edit. It asks me to log in again to edit, but I do and it still doesn't work
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:42 AM   #94

Quote:
The extra menu items I have on the F500HD are:
USB IN
VIDEO FLIP
VERSION V2.0.1 085-K

Makes all the difference for using it in the car.
Well, if you ever have important footage shot with the F200HD, you can use VirtualDub to flip the video in post-production. I guess it all depends how much of the footage you might actually regard as "important"
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:22 AM   #95

thanks Guys. I am no pro, and many cams on the market
so we have the F500Hd that will bea smart cam turn on record, and save file shut down to the next start.

I clearly understand now

The F200 Hd does not turn on and record, but if it shuts down due to any power outage , drop etc, it wil lsave a file,

I mention the Kodak zi8, and It Does not do auto start, it will do uninterrupted power, it will save file when shutting down etc. but not a

So I do apologise for missleading etc....

never worried about correcting me LOL, I have to many of these cams and can get lost , andmix things up

Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 17, 2010 at 4:29 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:25 PM   #96

WP - I got cold feet and canceled almost immediately after posting that I purchased it from DE. I'm glad I did considering your input.

Fishy - thanks to you too. If it hadn't been for these last two pages of comments, I likely would have made a frustrating mistake. Thanks!
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:02 AM   #97

hope it is cleared up and you made a decisoion fort he best. enjoy
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:16 PM   #98

Gloria responded to me from her Skype account - today was her first day back. I agreed to buy two from her w/paypal as soon as she sends me the proforma invoice with total.

Can't wait to get these installed.

Anyone know what the lens setting is? I know the one I have now is 2.1mm (I think). It's very wide, and picks up everything between the pillars when mounted behind the RV mirror
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:18 PM   #99

Not sure about the lens...
Did you receive your F500HD's yet?
What do you think?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:39 PM   #100

Default Received f500HD

Ha! Your post came in as I was writing this!

What a fantastic little camera! I ordered two from Gloria on Wed (last week) and the arrived in Florida today. Amazing service.

A couple observations:

1. The power on = auto record, power off = auto turn off mode has to be turned on. This is done in the main camera setup area under "USB IN". By default, the option is turned off. Once this is turned on, once power is applied, the MMC/Charge/Power On menu will appear for about 5 seconds - then it will default to power on and will begin recording.
  2. The window mount that was sent has two elbows - one for X-axis, the other for Y. Each has a thumbscrew knob. However, because of the rather large size, there is quite a bit of distance between the windshield and the camera. This causes a bit of instability, and any road vibration is clearly visible in the recorded video. The current mount does not make use of the tripod screw on the bottom of the unit. Instead, it has a snap-on carrier, and there was quite a bit of 'wiggle' between the mount and the camera. I added some double-stick (padded) tape to reduce vibration (haven't tested it yet). I will try to find an alternative, because this renders the video nearly useless
  3. The angle of the lens is probably 4mm (maybe even a 6mm). 2mm is considered wide angle. Compared to the 2mm lens I have on my other unit (which can see pillar to pillar), this is quite 'zoomed-in'. That makes the video MUCH clearer, but also, the chance of missing action is higher since it has tunnel vision. Here's a link of a video shot with my current 2mm lens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqStTGBTQwU
  4. When watching the MOV videos on my computer, the clarity is stunning. With movement, however, there seems to be a lot of blurring and tearing. However, that is the PLAYER not the recording. If I pause the video during a lot of movement, license plates and intricate signs on the side of the road are crystal clear. I had to install quicktime (yuck!) since none of the free codecs I found (even Quicktime Alternative) could handle the MOV format correctly.
  5. The 'tilt' on the camera head is very weak, and has a tendency to flop around a bit (on both cameras). There's no notch or dimple that would lock it into position. I taped mine in the straight ahead position.
  6. HDMI works great, right out the box...
  7. The rubber cover that protects the various ports easily pulls off (and can be put back in). I took mine off so that it didn't dangle.
I've got more comments, but not enough time. All-in-all, I give this a 4.7 out of 5. Nearly perfect. In fact, I've asked Gloria for pricing for 10 pcs, as I think they will make great gifts (plus a lot of co-workers want one).