Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:41 PM   #101

BTW it would be awesome to be able to have an external camera input. This way one could add an overlay - such as speed. Here's my existing setup (standard def).

http://www.youtube.com/erkme73#p/u/17/s5se8n5XSuY
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:31 AM   #102

Nice write-up. That bad cop video was great.
Are you going to try changing to a wide lens?
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:11 AM   #103

I'm really torn on the wide angle thing. Nothing else like seeing everything out your windshield like your eye's peripheral view - but at the expense of being able to read license plates and road signs. BTW, I used the mount from the HD720P (DVR-007), and the vibration is totally gone. It's a very simple design - single big suction cup with a 1" shaft, connected to a threaded ball. I'm gonna see if I can find just those on eBay.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:16 AM   #104

Westpoint - do you get this type of vibration in the video when driving down the road? It's almost like the camera is tied to a diving board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rGY2Rf5Hw it's noticeable starting at 23 seconds...

Short of gluing this thing to my window, I don't know how to get this to stop. It worbles like crazy.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:10 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Westpoint - do you get this type of vibration in the video when driving down the road? It's almost like the camera is tied to a diving board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rGY2Rf5Hw it's noticeable starting at 23 seconds...

Short of gluing this thing to my window, I don't know how to get this to stop. It worbles like crazy.
Mine is ok. I'm using the included suction mount mounted at the top of my windshield. I've set the option for flipping video 180 degrees. I mount the camera upside down with the lens angled straight ahead and the camera angle is about the same as the windshield. The camera just touches the sunshade on the passenger side so maybe that's stopping any wobble. The camera plastic "clip" slides off it's mating plastic piece on the suction mount since it's upside down so I have to tape it in place.

Your other videos are great: utility worker who has to go, and psycho mail lady.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:15 PM   #106

Is the field of vision (lens coverage) the same on the F200D and the F500D?
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:19 PM   #107

I can't speak to the F200D, but the F500HD is a 7mm lens. This gives about 50 viewing area. This is far from ideal. A 2mm lens, for example, will provide 155 viewing area.

The trade off is clarity and distortion. With a wider angle, tags become unreadable, and distances are distorted. But, you can see everything pillar to pillar.

I love the clarity of the 7mm F500HD, but it's almost like having blinders on...

BTW, the CCD mount on the F500 does not accept standard 1/3" (12mm x 0.5mm) fixed board lenses. I tried, but you can't screw the standard lenses in far enough to get proper focus. Plus, you'd have to remove the clear plastic cover.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:16 AM   #108

DOD has updated the F500HD page:

http://www.dod-tec.com/dm.php?prod=F500HDs.jpg

For a bit of a wider lens, they offer a 4.5mm lens.
The standard is 7.0mm.

Regarding mounting vibration, I recommend using the standard tripod mount and doing away with the clip-on plastic brackets.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:18 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
DOD has updated the F500HD page:

http://www.dod-tec.com/dm.php?prod=F500HDs.jpg

For a bit of a wider lens, they offer a 4.5mm lens.
The standard is 7.0mm.

Regarding mounting vibration, I recommend using the standard tripod mount and doing away with the clip-on plastic brackets.
Wow, their promo page now is looking sharp. I am so tempted to get me one again
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:11 AM   #110

Wondering to sell mine the 200Hd iwould get something i could review