Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:29 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
DOD replied to my email within a couple of days.
Probably Gloria will provide you with pricing, shipping charges...

I am still waiting for my parcel but this sure looks like the same wide angle lens that DOD shows:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Wide-Angle-Macro-...item3ca3c7a364

It's advertised to fit a whole bunch of devices.
Thanks.

I checked my sent messages and it turns out that it wasn't even sent!
I've sent another one and they've replied now. It seems like a really good price for $90 and the shipping is quite a bit cheaper than I was quoted for the DVR-007 cam.
GSDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:48 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDog View Post
Thanks.

I checked my sent messages and it turns out that it wasn't even sent!
I've sent another one and they've replied now. It seems like a really good price for $90 and the shipping is quite a bit cheaper than I was quoted for the DVR-007 cam.

Are you saying you gothteF500Hd for 90.00 shipped.

a link please
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:42 PM   #133

Hey, guys. It's nice to finally be among fellow camera fanatics

First, to answer your question, fishycomics, it's 90 USD for 1x F500HD, plus 43 USD for shipping and 15 USD for the wide conversion lens. I'm going to order mine next week.

Also, I happen to own the VR-H1 in its older, plastic version. I have written quite a lot about it here: http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.33282 and suggest you go through those threads first.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding it.

Also, I guess my reasons for switching from VR-H1 to F500HD are due:

- VR-H1 does not automatically stop recording - it can only *start* recording automatically, which kinda sucks
- VR-H1 is not really HD... it can produce 1280x1024 at 8 fps, but doesn't output 1280x720 nor of course 1920x1080. I was actually quite satisfied with the 8 fps mode, so not a big problem for me.
- VR-H1 seems to have a bug with SDHC cards > 2 GB... the LOOP function works fine for some time, but then randomly fails... sucks big time!

To finish my post, I contribute this sample video of VR-H1... I have had my driver's licence for 5 years now and have never come so close to a person running a red light as in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYFKj62Rl8A

Last edited by markostamcar; Mar 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM.
markostamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:55 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by markostamcar View Post
Hey, guys. It's nice to finally be among fellow camera fanatics

First, to answer your question, fishycomics, it's 90 USD for 1x F500HD, plus 43 USD for shipping and 15 USD for the wide conversion lens. I'm going to order mine next week.

Also, I happen to own the VR-H1 in its older, plastic version. I have written quite a lot about it here: http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.33282 and suggest you go through those threads first.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding it.

Also, I guess my reasons for switching from VR-H1 to F500HD are due:

- VR-H1 does not automatically stop recording - it can only *start* recording automatically, which kinda sucks
- VR-H1 is not really HD... it can produce 1280x1024 at 8 fps, but doesn't output 1280x720 nor of course 1920x1080. I was actually quite satisfied with the 8 fps mode, so not a big problem for me.
- VR-H1 seems to have a bug with SDHC cards > 2 GB... the LOOP function works fine for some time, but then randomly fails... sucks big time!

To finish my post, I contribute this sample video of VR-H1... I have had my driver's licence for 5 years now and have never come so close to a person running a red light as in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYFKj62Rl8A

thank you a lil steep for the shipping DHl or airmail. not bad comes out to the same price I paid .

now on that video no comment. lol. I see that every day.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:42 PM   #135

They ship via DHL.
markostamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:48 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by markostamcar View Post
They ship via DHL.
Lol that is why they are way over priced. today USPO i think would have been around 5-10.00 with a few days waiting.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:10 PM   #137

Markostamcar, that is excellent information. Thanks for posting! I wish I didn't buy the VR-H1 now that I know about the flaws.

This is my favorite cam that I've been using for 8 months so far in my truck. Powers up on vehicle start, records after shut down for a bit.
I like the design because I can have it sitting under my rear view mirror (using velcro instead of the suction cup thingy) and you don't even notice it after a while. Sure wish they would hurry up with a higher res version.

westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:30 PM   #138

Here is how I mount my F500HD after having the suction cup mount fall off a few times.
I cut a short bolt to fit the camera's tripod hole and had to drill and tap the plastic sunvisor holder.
I should have drilled more at an angle to take advantage of the camera's angled lens so the whole camera is a bit more up and out of view.
It is a snug fit right up against the visor to dampen vibrations.

Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:02 PM   #139

Default f500hd with wide angle conversion lens

I received my parcel from DOD. They used UPS instead of DHL this time.

Here is the new box just for the F500HD:

Here is the Wide Angle Conversion Lens package:

Here is what's inside:

Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:08 PM   #140

It is also a macro lens.
Attachment is MAGNETIC.
If your camera/cell phone etc. isn't metal around the lens or the wrong diameter then you attach one of the rings included. It is sticky on one side. After holding your breath and aiming for the center, this is what you'll get:

Here is the wide angle conversion lens magnetically attached to the F500HD:

It doesn't look the prettiest but it is certainly not going anywhere. With the lens being light and the magnet so strong, the lens is not going to fall off. If you do bump the lens it tends to just go off center.
I'm happy with the whole ordeal since for me the F500HD stays in my vehicle and now it will capture a bit more action from the sides with the wider lens.