Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:04 AM   #161

they started out that way
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:28 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsekatse View Post
how did you people get it for USD90? i was quoted 168$ :S (+ shipping)
I just bought another F200HD for $112. Just as sharp a lens and sensor as my first F200HD, and much sharper than the second one I bought

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33281

Only real advantage in the new firmware is that now you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to switch the camera off. I can't count the number of times I have accidentally switched off the cameras as I picked them up -- this is a real improvement Otherwise nothing has changed from the original units.

Oh - they come DOD branded...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:48 PM   #163

hi Guys,

appreciate your help with a coupla qns:

1. Can i wire this to the car battery to ensure that recording goes on even when i leave the car overnight at a parking lot? can it just be wired to simply run directly from the car battery w/o the internal lithium battery?

2. assuming the camera has expended the storage space within the sd card, will it still continue to record and dump the oldest data? i'm hoping to have this double as a night surveillance camera as well

3. anyone tried this with a 32GB sdhc card?? would really love to maximize any available storage i can purchase.

4. i've seen this being sold in several sites, but not all have mentioned that the plastic car mount (not the screw in type) will be included. is this included by default wherever its sold? are there any pics showing what it looks like when mounted with that plastic holder?

first post and soooo many qns...
would greatly appreciate any responses to the qns above

Last edited by xReDeViLx; Jun 26, 2010 at 1:58 AM.
xReDeViLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:08 AM   #164

anyone?? would greatly appreciate the help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xReDeViLx View Post
hi Guys,

1. Can i wire this to the car battery to ensure that recording goes on even when i leave the car overnight at a parking lot? can it just be wired to simply run directly from the car battery w/o the internal lithium battery?

2. assuming the camera has expended the storage space within the sd card, will it still continue to record and dump the oldest data? i'm hoping to have this double as a night surveillance camera as well

3. anyone tried this with a 32GB sdhc card?? would really love to maximize any available storage i can purchase.

4. i've seen this being sold in several sites, but not all have mentioned that the plastic car mount (not the screw in type) will be included. is this included by default wherever its sold? are there any pics showing what it looks like when mounted with that plastic holder?

first post and soooo many qns...
would greatly appreciate any responses to the qns above
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:25 PM   #165

[QUOTE=xReDeViLx;1111777]hi Guys,

yes. on power up 5VDC using USB cable it will auto start recording and go until card gets filled then will overwrite if you told it to and continue recording on and on...

yes it will overwrite earliest...

I have a 16 and it's working fine capturing about 3 days of driving around for 1/2 the day when in HD mode.

The belt clip is included. Buy the other clip as an accessory with Bracket 2 that comes with suction cup mount. Check out DOD's website and then click F500HD then "more" at the bottom then scroll down to see optional accessories at the bottom. Pick up the wide angle adapter to play with as well.

Check out the VR-H1 as well. This one is motion activiated recording, continuous loop as well. nice wide angle.

You won't be disappointed with the F500HD. The VR-H1 is great but too but too bad not HD as well.

Cheers!
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:37 AM   #166

[QUOTE=westpoint;1112761]
Quote:
hi Guys,

yes. on power up 5VDC using USB cable it will auto start recording and go until card gets filled then will overwrite if you told it to and continue recording on and on...

yes it will overwrite earliest...

I have a 16 and it's working fine capturing about 3 days of driving around for 1/2 the day when in HD mode.

The belt clip is included. Buy the other clip as an accessory with Bracket 2 that comes with suction cup mount. Check out DOD's website and then click F500HD then "more" at the bottom then scroll down to see optional accessories at the bottom. Pick up the wide angle adapter to play with as well.

Check out the VR-H1 as well. This one is motion activiated recording, continuous loop as well. nice wide angle.

You won't be disappointed with the F500HD. The VR-H1 is great but too but too bad not HD as well.

Cheers!
thanks for the reply!! greatly appreciate it! my preference is for the plastic mount rather than the suction-cup style as it simply looks more elegant when adhered to the windscreen...weird that no one here has mentioned the usage of this yet..... thanks for the advice!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:02 PM   #167

quick qns, i understand that this model is now currently available as the f500hd rather than the f200hd. but i realise that most online shops are selling the f200hd model, is the difference simply the firmware? can we even flash the firmware ourselves? if thats not possible, am i correct to assume the new firmware addresses the key issue of rotating recordings 180 degrees?

Last edited by xReDeViLx; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:33 PM   #168

Quote:
quick qns, i understand that this model is now currently available as the f500hd rather than the f200hd. but i realise that most online shops are selling the f200hd model, is the difference simply the firmware? can we even flash the firmware ourselves? if thats not possible, am i correct to assume the new firmware addresses the key issue of rotating recordings 180 degrees?
firmware and hardware is needed. thesecams do not run on firmware stated by the company, they will not supply it. I asked this to them.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:28 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
firmware and hardware is needed. thesecams do not run on firmware stated by the company, they will not supply it. I asked this to them.
I see, thx for the info. I guess thats y the f200hd is available for less than 130usd while the f500hd is typically available for 200+ usd.......
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:04 AM   #170

hi guys, just a quick question with regards to the DOD F200HD.

1. Is this unit able to overwrite old files? Using this as a in-vehicle camera, I frequently have to dismount the unit to clear up the memory card (i'm using a 16GB card), which is pretty troublesome.

2. I'm having problems with the recycle setting. Thing is, I set the recycle to '5 mins', press the middle button to confirm, power down the unit, and when I power it back up and check back on the menu again, the recycle is back to 'no'. Is there any solution to this?

3. Is there anyway to turn off the LCD display while its recording? My unit gets pretty hot after recording for an hour while stuck in a traffic jam!

Thanks guys!
isaacp is offline   Reply With Quote