Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:21 PM   #41

There should be a file of size 4Gb on the SDHC card, and another file (at least one) to indicate that the camera continued to try and record after reaching the 4Gb file size limit. The second file should take up from where the first one ended
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:10 PM   #42

You asked for ifthe camcorder can record for a extended period, and not limited.

The DOD F200HD records unlimited, to either the sdhc, or battery runs dry.

Now it sounds like you're asking about the recycle, and Duration video?

Using recycle, the cam will shoot video in incriments of what the cam is set to if it is 1 min, 3, min 45 min.

recycle will repeat filming till the cam is depleted.

Duration the cam will film one time only for the time set., you must hit record to start, you cannot set to record at a given time.

If you are filming on any cam, the record button pressed , records, till stopped.

you now wantto know if you can use the duration in HD1080P, andsee if it continues.

YEs it will. if I proven the cam already records till unlimited?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:49 PM   #43

Just started a thread on this:

http://www.dod-tec.com/dm.php?prod=product.jpg

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...ml#post1013069
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:18 PM   #44

(Fishy, can you please incorporate this info into the main message #1 ?)

I have spent a day figuring out this wonderful little camera (DOD-F200HD)
I bought mine direct from HongKong. It is labelled "HD DV200" on the box.

First, if you use a 16GB SDHC Class 4,6, or 10 card, the DOD-F200HD will record video continuously until the card is full, or the battery runs out. Both of my two 32GB cards timed out when the DOD tried to transition between the 4GB file segments. But with 16GB cards there are no gaps between the 4GB segments - recording is seamless.

If you plug in a high-current USB source while the unit is recording, then the USB will power the camera, and the battery will not become exhausted. I just recorded for 3 hours at 1920x1080 using this trick (thanks for the tip, Fishy ).

I expect the 4xAA cell USB power packs will work in this way - I will report back later after I have tested this...

The battery which came with the unit lasted for 100 minutes of continuous 1280x720 video - pretty good for a Nokia BL-5C (equiv) battery

Video Zoom seems to only work in the 1440x1080 and 1280x720 modes, not in the 1920x1080 mode. The field of view is very much less in 1920x1080, and my guess is that the sensor pixels are mapped 1:1 in this mode. The nature of the noise, and the image clarity, leads me to this conclusion. For all its limitations, 1920x1080 works, and works very well indeed.

Data rate: 1920x1080 : 8.3 Mbps AVC with CABAC (high efficiency coding)
1440x1080: 6.5 Mbps AVC with CABAC
1280 x 720: 5.2 MBps AVC with CABAC

Audio is 128K AAC stereo (only mono audio used)

This is a very nice little camera. Adequate manual controls (including EV) I have been looking for something like this for some time Excellent image quality (look at the wallpaper in the back of Fishy's pizza video).

My unit came with a European 2-round-prong power brick (5V, 1A) but I have a stack of these real bricks laying around, so no big deal:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19242

Last edited by Trevmar; Nov 12, 2009 at 3:58 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
in pocket the cam, I recommend a pouch, a baby sock when not in use.
My unit came with a nice slip-over case, with elastic sides, exactly what is needed to protect the camera. My camera was not called F200D, and did not have the DOD branding, it was just called "HD DV"

http://shop.esino.hk/mini-dv/173-dod...camcorder.html

More info, including photos of a disassembled unit, can be found at this Japanese site (translation):
http://tinyurl.com/ykrvteu

Old Nov 7, 2009, 4:10 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
My unit came with a nice slip-over case, with elastic sides, exactly what is needed to protect the camera. My camera was not called F200D, and did not have the DOD branding, it was just called "HD DV"

http://shop.esino.hk/mini-dv/173-dod...camcorder.html

More info, including photos of a disassembled unit, can be found at this Japanese site (translation):
http://tinyurl.com/ykrvteu
were there mor color choices, only grey was from the seller.

firmware is not a option he and the company claimed
I am happy it isso small anddoes its job
mine came with a chekered grey cover with a center strap over the top as well. I only mentioned a baby sock as protection if all else fails Lol.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:35 PM   #47

Mine is grey

Another disadvantage for some may be that the DOD has no stabilization, Since I always deshake any important footage with Virtualdub, I tend to overlook this issue - it is better for me that the image be raw, sharp, and unprocessed by camera software...

My firmware is dated 26 June 2009.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:57 PM   #48

I made an error in my post above about seamless recording. It turns out that the 32GB cards don't transition properly, the 16GB cards do, Class 6 or 10. Here is the revised text:

"First, if you use a 16GB SDHC Class 6 card, the DOD-F200HD will record video continuously until the card is full, or the battery runs out. Two 32GB cards timed out when it tried to transition between the 4GB file segments. But with 16GB cards there are no gaps between the 4GB segments - recording is seamless."

Last edited by Trevmar; Nov 28, 2009 at 4:19 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:45 AM   #49

Here is an image of my DOD F200HD screen (taken with my Panny ZS3) after 3hrs 45 minutes of continuous 1920x1080 recording (counter is at the bottom of the screen). It kept on recording for another half hour until the 16GB card filled up.

Power was provided by a dummy battery with a wire leading to a tiny switching power supply fed from a Canon BP819 battery (the batteries I carry around for my Canon HF100). Battery voltage is 7.4, 1600maH, converted to 3.7 volts for the F200HD.

The clock was recorded to show that the joins between 4GB segments were seamless, no gaps (unlike the messy 7-second gaps on the Sanyo HD2000).

The camera was not really warm. The 3.7V supply voltage reduces the heat dissipation inside the camera

You need a good Class 6 or class 10 SDHC card to give seamless recording at this data rate. I used an A-Data turbo Class 6, which gives consistent 7MB/s data rates, much better than the average class 6 card... If the SDHC card is too slow the camera will stop recording a few seconds after the 1 hour 1 minute 40 second point, after failing to extend the first captured file.

Last edited by Trevmar; Nov 29, 2009 at 1:49 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:22 AM   #50

DOD have a new model out, the F500HD. There don't seem to be any fundamental changes.

http://www.dod-tec.com/dm.php?prod=F500HDs.jpg