Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:59 PM   #71

Crappy snowy cold day but history warms me up:

Video mode 1920x1080 and then you can grab a frame that you like to store as photo.
I think this camcorder is a great deal.

Last edited by westpoint; Feb 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:45 AM   #72

I told you so lol
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:35 PM   #73

Well if one can get the firmware, and can be loaded to the F200Hd, you got yourself the DOD F500HD. nothing is different but added functions.

they aresayongfirmware is totally useless, on the f200hd to upgrade. wondering ifthey really ment that f200 was upgraded with some hardware, and firmware.

Last edited by fishycomics; Feb 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:00 PM   #74

Oh yeah, the only reason why I bought this camcorder was because of fishycomic's reviews. Thanks for doing all the work. You made it easy to decide on the F200/F500HD.

Cheers!!
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:59 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpoint View Post
Oh yeah, the only reason why I bought this camcorder was because of fishycomic's reviews. Thanks for doing all the work. You made it easy to decide on the F200/F500HD.

Cheers!!
its a great small cam, and wish that firmware would have been the way. rather a upgrade lol.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:27 PM   #76

Fishy (or others)...

I have read through all 8 pages, but didn't see any clear cut answers. Could you take a moment to reply regarding either the 200/500 on the following questions?

I intend on mounting this in my car, powering via external 5VDC.

1. Will the unit gracefully shut down if it detects external power loss? In other words, if the unit is recording, and I shut off my car, will it wrap up the current record session and power down?
  2. When the power is restored (i.e. when I start my car) will the recording resume automatically, or will I have to manually power up and press start?
I recently purchased the HD720P (DVR-007) and the menu screens (format and wording) appear to be the same as the F200/500 - though not all the same options.

The DVR-007 works great, but the resolution at 1280x720 is no where near as crisp as the samples you posted. That may also have to do with the 2.4mm wide-angle lens that's on the 007.

FWIW I just ordered the 33281 from Dealextreme.

Has anyone figured out if the F200 can be upgraded/flashed to the 500HD firmware?

TIA
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:06 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Fishy (or others)...

I have read through all 8 pages, but didn't see any clear cut answers. Could you take a moment to reply regarding either the 200/500 on the following questions?

I intend on mounting this in my car, powering via external 5VDC.

1. Will the unit gracefully shut down if it detects external power loss? In other words, if the unit is recording, and I shut off my car, will it wrap up the current record session and power down?
  2. When the power is restored (i.e. when I start my car) will the recording resume automatically, or will I have to manually power up and press start?
I recently purchased the HD720P (DVR-007) and the menu screens (format and wording) appear to be the same as the F200/500 - though not all the same options.

The DVR-007 works great, but the resolution at 1280x720 is no where near as crisp as the samples you posted. That may also have to do with the 2.4mm wide-angle lens that's on the 007.

FWIW I just ordered the 33281 from Dealextreme.

Has anyone figured out if the F200 can be upgraded/flashed to the 500HD firmware?

TIA
I contacted the company, and posted up the answer.

they basically cannot be upgraded. they say, there's no reason to upgrade.

the firmware alone will not do, will need hardware

As for power dc feed I did not so that test, but I know the kodak will work with interrupted power

I have to dig the correct cables out, I tried a aiptek plug and didnot recognise ac power for me. I know its a lil picky. that is all I know for now
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:32 AM   #78

Thanks Fishy - let me know what you find out. I got spooked this morning and canceled my DealExtreme order for the F200...

I started a skype session with "Gloria" from DOD - but so far she's not replied - with pricing or answers to the questions I submitted above.

Westpoint - it appears you're the only one here who already has the new 500 version. Could you take a moment to answer my questions above? Specifically, I want to know if this thing will auto-resume recording once external power is applied.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:09 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Thanks Fishy - let me know what you find out. I got spooked this morning and canceled my DealExtreme order for the F200...

I started a skype session with "Gloria" from DOD - but so far she's not replied - with pricing or answers to the questions I submitted above.

Westpoint - it appears you're the only one here who already has the new 500 version. Could you take a moment to answer my questions above? Specifically, I want to know if this thing will auto-resume recording once external power is applied.

Thanks!
With dod ac plug, and usb cable battery removed camera does not go on, it stands in a charge mode.

with battery it will go on and record.

is there a bypas, I am sure there is I will not mess with it.

your answer will be no it cannot continous record with uninterrupted power, unless other members can comment. I am sure one may have found the usb bypas.

Onecan mod a dummy battery for unlimited power, becareful notto go pass 5.0 vdc
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:35 PM   #80

fishy... sorry, i think you may have misunderstood. i do want it to shut off when the ac/dc power is turn off. but i also want it to turn on and resume recording when ac/dc power is restored...