Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:42 PM   #81

this cam will only run via battery if you plug in a ac or dc to the cam will not function. the cam will go to cam charging mode once the power is removed. or turned off

I believe I understood but may not been clear at my end, I do appologise.

so is this what you're after in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFTetOie304
Old Feb 16, 2010, 3:47 PM   #82

So you're saying as soon as you apply external power, the camera will shut off? And there is no way to use it while it's on AC power? Ugh...

BTW, you youtube link does not seem to pull up...
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:02 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
So you're saying as soon as you apply external power, the camera will shut off? And there is no way to use it while it's on AC power? Ugh...

BTW, you youtube link does not seem to pull up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cqpA9DXj4 video loading

reloaded.

exactly what i said. only way will be to keep power will be through thed battery section, not usb. usb is where it powers on via a charger

you are bestto get a kodak zi8 like I said earlier ?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:29 PM   #84

Thanks Fishy. The Zi8 appears also not to have the auto-record upon power-up mode either. Seems the cameras that have this ability are specifically designed with this feature.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:39 PM   #85

Default F500HD car feature

Hi there.

The camera will definitely go into automatic recording mode when it sees power from USB cable (ie. USB cigarette lighter adapter in car 12V to 5V)

Upon power up with USB cable attached, the menu screen shows MRC, Charge, and Camera (MRC is if you're hooked up to your computer to view files). After a few seconds if you don't select, then it auto records.
westpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:42 PM   #86

That's EXCELLENT news! So this must be part of the newer firmware/hardware, as Fishy says the 200 doesn't do this. Could you send me a link where you purchased the 500?

Also, on the shut-down sequence, if you disconnect the USB/power will it immediately shut down, or continue to record until the battery dies?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:55 PM   #87

Default F500HD specifics

I intend on mounting this in my car, powering via external 5VDC.

1. Will the unit gracefully shut down if it detects external power loss? In other words, if the unit is recording, and I shut off my car, will it wrap up the current record session and power down?
  2. When the power is restored (i.e. when I start my car) will the recording resume automatically, or will I have to manually power up and press start?
So to answer your questions completely:

1. YES. Upon loss of cigarette lighter power the camera does save what it was recording before power down.

2. YES. When camera sees power from cigarette lighter adapter it will automatically start recording if you don't select anything on menu (MSC, Charge, Camera).

I use it daily to record my driving and it works great.

Gloria at DOD is who I dealt with. Very friendly and helpful.
Try to get her to include a USB cigarette lighter adapter because you'll need one for the car (if you don't have one already).

Sorry to contradict you fishycomics, but I repeatedly powered up and down and reviewed the video to confirm before writing these comments.

Cheers!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:57 PM   #88

You have made my day. Do you think the 200 does this as well? I don't see Gloria coming on line on Skype, so I think it may be because of their new year thing in China.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:00 PM   #89

Default F500HD specifics

To clarify, MSC is what is on the menu screen, not MRC.

I'm guessing it means My Computer, My See Computer, Me See Computer ???
Instructions don't say. Anyways, that's the option to select if you're hooked up to your PC via USB and want to view files.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:01 PM   #90

Yes, the HD720P I bought recently does the same thing. If it's actually a PC connected it shows up as a drive/mass storage device. But obviously it times out and goes back to recording. This is awesome...