Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
Not one of my videos recorded on the HD-50z at 720p 60fps have this 'Jello affect' even when zoomed. In 1080p 30fps, this affect is present but not overly so. 99% of my videos are filmed at 720p 60fps, as it is super smooth and great quality. Shaking the camera will of course cause some distortion, but what camera doesn't? EIS minimises this somewhat and I have to say works quite well on the HD-50z.
I totally agree...
The camera specs of ccd and cmos cannot really be compared ....
The Speed is a camera that is perfect for occasional users and trips shooting 1080p with tripod scenes , and all other low light and fast scenes in 720p it will serve the cause...
Note that digital videos Have enormous video processing capabilities !!
manostsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:31 AM   #52

Does anyone know if any of these cameras support 25 FPS recording?

I see that they are 50/60hz switchable but I don't see anywhere that they can record 720/25p or 1080/50i or even 1080/25p .
lirany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirany View Post
Does anyone know if any of these cameras support 25 FPS recording?

I see that they are 50/60hz switchable but I don't see anywhere that they can record 720/25p or 1080/50i or even 1080/25p .
It can't. All(I believe) low cost hybrid cameras record video in either 15fps(really old ones), 30fps and 60fps(few cams). If you need to shoot in PAL, you should get a PAL camcorder.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:32 PM   #54

But is the HD-50z 50/60hz switchable like the Kogan?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirany View Post
But is the HD-50z 50/60hz switchable like the Kogan?
On a CMOS-based hybrid economy camera, the 50/60 Hz setting just changes the frequency of the flicker reduction to match your AC power frequency, such as when shooting video under a fluorescent light or aiming the camera at a TV screen. It doesn't actually change the frame rate the camera records (nor does changing the camera to PAL mode, if it offers that option).

For true 25 fps video you will need a standard definition CCD camera designed for a PAL market, such as Europe or most of Asia (but not Japan, which uses NTSC 30 fps). I believe HDV high definition tape camcorders may also record at 25 fps in PAL regions, but I'm not sure.

Many "true" HD camcorders (in the $500 and up price range) offer 24 fps "film look" recording, if that is close enough.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
On a CMOS-based hybrid economy camera, the 50/60 Hz setting just changes the frequency of the flicker reduction to match your AC power frequency, such as when shooting video under a fluorescent light or aiming the camera at a TV screen. It doesn't actually change the frame rate the camera records (nor does changing the camera to PAL mode, if it offers that option).
For true 25 fps video you will need a standard definition CCD camera designed for a PAL market, such as Europe or most of Asia (but not Japan, which uses NTSC 30 fps). I believe HDV high definition tape camcorders may also record at 25 fps in PAL regions, but I'm not sure.
Many "true" HD camcorders (in the $500 and up price range) offer 24 fps "film look" recording, if that is close enough.
Thanks for the reply. I am perfectly aware of that. I just wanted to make that this specific model supports 50hz florescent lights.
So does it?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:57 PM   #57

as stated by Nuttysqurrel. but I cannot find the webpage of the company, that this cam is a ntsc/pal. that wil ltell me it has the support of flicker

example Kodak zi8 only and only shows ntsc or pal in setting, while Aiptek shows ntsc or pal, and flicker 50 or 60

best to find a owner and ask.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:57 PM   #58

Hi guys my 1st post, I got a Speed HD-50Z a few days ago from Honk Kong delivered within 7 days to the UK,

I intend to use this camera for my hobby of microlight flying and I think its small and light enough to be clipped to my flying helmet and having a remote control made my mind up for me not being able to operate the camera in flight but it would be ok with the remote I hope anyway,

I wonder if any of you guys could help me out here, I am concerned about the battery life and was hoping I would be able to turn off the LCD screen, I wonder anybody know if this is possible I see no mention in the manual,

Also the battery's that came with the camera are an unknown brand, I wonder if there are a longer lasting version available, the ones that came with the camera are NP-120 3.7v 1700mAh Li-Ion.

Regards from Nick in the UK.
nickjaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:11 PM   #59

Default newbie asking about 240fps!

Great post and forum. Getting into video's and photo's with the kids. One thing that interested me in this camera is the 240fps option. I am wondering if it would work out for science classs or hobbies. Will it capture fast images or will they be blurry? Items like dropping a water ballon on the ground, or a fast electric boat model zooming by, or water dripping?

I have found HD videos of it here and on the utube, but not of 240 fps. Wondering if I will have to save more and spend around $1000 to get that or if this will work for a hobby?

Anyone have any input, sample videos on 240fps, or other camera options? Would like to stay under $400 if possible. Otherwise I get nervous about letting the kids use it.

Thank you and looking forward to being able to add info to the forum in the future.

Brian
befu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Interesting feature: Dual Video recording simultaneously : 1080P+WQVGA, 720P+WQVGA

Seems like a marketing gimmick to me, as I really don't see a lot of point in this. I guess the only advantage would be in situations where you need both a minimal resolution version and HD version yet can't/don't want to spend the time in conversion. But considering youtube etc now accept 720p videos this is redundant anyway.
New user here - great forum. I have a question though. Obviously it has been noted that this camera has 'dual video recording' which as stated is kind of a gimmick more then anything. However, what I am wondering is if the 'WQVGA' video format could be streamed live (like a webcam) and at the same time be recording the higher quality video format (1080P or 720P) to the memory card? I'm assuming if it could, it would be done by using a usb cable and maybe a program such as 'WebCamMaxx'? The reason I ask is I am a storm chaser and I stream live (using a dash mounted webcam) while out chasing. If this was able to do both at the same time that would be highly helpful to me as I would be able to more easily be able to 'stream' more then what is just seen out the front window of my vehicle...

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by bigworm; Jan 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM.
bigworm is offline   Reply With Quote