Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:36 PM   #11

The rolling shutter effect is still there, but minimal. I wish they would offer a fixed 100 degree lens and then a screw on adaptor for their 170 degree "stupid wide" lens.

Most people do not want a lens so wide you can practically see what's behind you. Give us a normal lens and let the surf dudes spring the cash for the fishbowl lens.

I was also hoping they would ditch the brick-on-a-stick camera format for something a bit slimmer / longer so it does not stick out too much. Maybe next time.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:24 PM   #12

At last, somebody around here knows how to post 'action' footage . Thanks.

The footage seems nice, except the flash version is stuffed up because of the motion, so would love to see native recordings. The latitude and color seems there, similar to the impression I get from the Samsung ux10. Very tempting buy.

Still, would, like to know what codec chip set it sues (amabrella, something as good, or something inferior) and what sensor, or at least the sensor manufacturer.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:39 PM   #13

It is good they have given the 720p60 mode 15mb/s, which is near the minimum I recommend for this sort of camera, but the 1080p is only 12mb/s. It will be good if a future version could have 1080p60/50 (and 720p60) at 24mb/s in future.

But if they wanted to make enhancements to the codec at the moment 25fps and 50fps are official HDTV standards, and would deliver more better quality per frame.

I am still interested in this camera (with a narrower field of view lens option that can be internally flipped between) and no polarizing filter (that discolors the image). But I think one of the the Samsung ux10, Kodak zi8 or RCA might be an option for me.

A touch screen on this and uncompressed hdmi out (that can be connected to a cineform hand held sized monitor/recorder) along with narrow and mountable lens option would make this a very interesting camera for video people in general as a personal camera and for various non-standard shots, perfect camera to mount to cars and out car windows.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
At last, somebody around here knows how to post 'action' footage . Thanks.

The footage seems nice, except the flash version is stuffed up because of the motion, so would love to see native recordings. The latitude and color seems there, similar to the impression I get from the Samsung ux10. Very tempting buy.

Still, would, like to know what codec chip set it sues (amabrella, something as good, or something inferior) and what sensor, or at least the sensor manufacturer.
I guess once it's out, hopefully we will be able to find some raw samples and find out for ourselves with mediainfo or similar.

I wonder if you asked them nicely in an email if they would forward you a raw clip, or at least provide a temporary download link.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:34 PM   #15

Thinking about it, but I would be asking a lot more questions as well, so would have to spend time wording a nice email.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:34 AM   #16

This camera is interesting because it offers higher resolutions, and appears to have little rolling shutter artifacts. We need more footage to know for sure.

I will need a replacement camera soon, the old modified Vupoint is starting to get flaky, it's been crashed one too many times

I like the Vupoint because of the CCD imager, and now have a 100 degree lens on it. It works pretty well. That is about the perfect FOV for an "action" camcorder.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWxELoCeVw
watch the high speed run through the trees at 2:45, this is a torture test for a digicam's compression quality.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdirtrider View Post
This camera is interesting because it offers higher resolutions, and appears to have little rolling shutter artifacts. We need more footage to know for sure.

I will need a replacement camera soon, the old modified Vupoint is starting to get flaky, it's been crashed one too many times

I like the Vupoint because of the CCD imager, and now have a 100 degree lens on it. It works pretty well. That is about the perfect FOV for an "action" camcorder.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWxELoCeVw
watch the high speed run through the trees at 2:45, this is a torture test
for a digicam's compression quality.
Hahah this reminded me of the simulator I went in with my son in the Mall once, only they use computer graphics of course, especially when you put it full screen. Of course the poor youtube compression spoils the effect a bit but I am sure once you get the HD version I can see this being awesome!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote