Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:25 PM   #1001

These are somevideo shots, showing theframe rate, bitrate, whatever rate you want to call it

8gb class 2 not the 1st file but files that already on cam about 10.

I have some video's on there that I do not want to air, and they are at a bitrate of 5 mbits. 4 mbits 3 mbits, so go figure why the differences?

As the Kodak Zi8 does its job shooting, I cannot complain of how it proforms in mbits. thank you
8kbits.....9mbits...11mbits give or take [email protected]
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:16 AM   #1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
These are somevideo shots, showing theframe rate, bitrate, whatever rate you want to call it

8gb class 2 not the 1st file but files that already on cam about 10.

I have some video's on there that I do not want to air, and they are at a bitrate of 5 mbits. 4 mbits 3 mbits, so go figure why the differences?

As the Kodak Zi8 does its job shooting, I cannot complain of how it proforms in mbits. thank you
8kbits.....9mbits...11mbits give or take [email protected]
Dear fish,

Variation in bit rate in the same mode (constant) clearly indicates that it has something to do with the variables like illumination (day/night),amount of details captured (simple-wall/complex-scenary) ,vividity of colors etc factors. It should have nothing to do with the processing power of the ambrella chip which is a constant.

Another thing fish, regarding using ZI8 as a PMP, I tried your tips regarding renaming a video clip to native ZI8 video file name.Now the ZI8 recognizes the video file with a exclamatory mark (question mark in firmware version 1.03) meaning that it cannot identify the codec. I converted the video clip to .MOV format with the arcsoft media impression software that came with the ZI8 but to no avail. The same exclamatory mark keeps popping over. I can't trace where i went wrong. Can't the ZI8 identify the .MOV format? Please help me.

In the poorman's video series you told that "i" icon in settings menu shows the firmware version as well the a number indicating the number of ZI8 manufactored. You asked for a confirmation!

Mine shows "1.06" and "586".

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 7, 2010 at 4:03 AM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:58 AM   #1003

Hey Petunder,

Today I have recorded 1080p video with the ZI8 in my fist while brisk walking with rapid swinging of my arms(tandom walking).

I noticed that there were a lot of compression artifacts whenever there was a sudden displacement of ZI8 position. The compression artifacts were in form of small rectangular/square blocks arranged together to form a video frame. Though there wasen't any blurring. The sudeen displcement of the camera position would probably cause an intense mismatch between the consecutive frames (details changing dynamically).

This clearly indicates that the compression artifacts result due to rapid hand shakes or sudden shift in position of the camera. It doesn't have anything to due with position of the details captured.

As you rightly said there weren't any compression artifacts reported in 720p/60fps mode. Video was smooth but clearly the details weren't as sharp as that of 1080p mode.

So hold your hand still when recording a video or using a tripod would be a good idea!

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 7, 2010 at 4:08 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:08 AM   #1004

Drramk....

You are overlooking very simple steps,

1 ANY video, still, text etc in a video file.

2 Arcsoft total media Impressions, render, save as in hd1080P hd720P any one.

Note* When you save it te file name must be exact of the cams file name.

Example 124EKZI8 124_0001

The folder is 124EKZI8 the file of the folder is 124_0001.

naming anything else gotten you the ?

3 rename file to cameras file if 124_0001 exists, eitherreplace it, or makea sequential one 124_0002 etc, etc.

Finish.

As for the mbits etc. yes every artifact will be differentthen the other creating more/less/

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
Dear fish,

Variation in bit rate in the same mode (constant) clearly indicates that it has something to do with the variables like illumination (day/night),amount of details captured (simple-wall/complex-scenary) ,vividity of colors etc factors. It should have nothing to do with the processing power of the ambrella chip which is a constant.

Another thing fish, regarding using ZI8 as a PMP, I tried your tips regarding renaming a video clip to native ZI8 video file name.Now the ZI8 recognizes the video file with a exclamatory mark (question mark in firmware version 1.03) meaning that it cannot identify the codec. I converted the video clip to .MOV format with the arcsoft media impression software that came with the ZI8 but to no avail. The same exclamatory mark keeps popping over. I can't trace where i went wrong. Can't the ZI8 identify the .MOV format? Please help me.

In the poorman's video series you told that "i" icon in settings menu shows the firmware version as well the a number indicating the number of ZI8 manufactored. You asked for a confirmation!

Mine shows "1.06" and "586".
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:36 AM   #1005

hey fish......

now i know where i went wrong.i used to render the videos in 640*480 resolution 30fps (which isnt a widescreen HD format ) .mov format .
because the media converter in my media impression only offers this resolution for .mov format. but it has a 720p for .mp4 format.

is there a free converter that renders video in a 720p or 1080p resolution for an .mov extension?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:14 PM   #1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
hey fish......

now i know where i went wrong.i used to render the videos in 640*480 resolution 30fps (which isnt a widescreen HD format ) .mov format .
because the media converter in my media impression only offers this resolution for .mov format. but it has a 720p for .mp4 format.

is there a free converter that renders video in a 720p or 1080p resolution for an .mov extension?

a video must watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-g8Tq5ZlHg

PMP it is and how simple it is to do

exactly what came with your Imported model Drramk.....

I thought you said fw 1.06 and comp 566. if you allow Arcsoft to update you'll get the latest program, what I did was save the files and backed up, just incase as I reverted and verted back, as you ca nseeclearly it is there LOL. I shown that downgrading/upgrading works.

This is a video live , showing exactly what and how, it is done nothing more..

I prove that 640x480 works, I prove that other cam in works, I prove renaming other cam works, and I do understand your frustrations....

Its possable your machine isset up differently, region wise.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:30 PM   #1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
a video must watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-g8Tq5ZlHg

PMP it is and how simple it is to do

exactly what came with your Imported model Drramk.....

I thought you said fw 1.06 and comp 566. if you allow Arcsoft to update you'll get the latest program, what I did was save the files and backed up, just incase as I reverted and verted back, as you ca nseeclearly it is there LOL. I shown that downgrading/upgrading works.

This is a video live , showing exactly what and how, it is done nothing more..

I prove that 640x480 works, I prove that other cam in works, I prove renaming other cam works, and I do understand your frustrations....

Its possable your machine isset up differently, region wise.
Once again thank you soo ...........much fishy for providing a quick solution video!

You really prooved me wrong and it was a small mistake from my part.

Stunning video and must have for ZI8 owners!

I was able to download only one half of the video (youtube downloader) because of a slow internet connection and busy schedule.But that half video answers all my questions.

Now I am able to play all the converted videos (.MOV) on my ZI8 and use it as a PMP. I shall watch the remaining half of the video tommorow and then repost.

Where i went wrong was ,I was using the "media converter" option than the "make movie" option in the media impression software.

Converted videos play smoothly ,but when i try to fast forward them 2x,4x,16x etc , my ZI8 hangs and I cant switch it off and need to pull out battery and replace it back and later switch it on. Though slowing the video to 1/2 , 1/4 speed etc works fine for me.

But that dosen't matter much to me as long as i am able to play back the converted videos.Though I would be happy if the fast forwarding option worked fine.

With regards,.

Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:46 PM   #1008

I am sure you need notto convert any. just edit and then save as I shown. the problem with the video I made was a direct [email protected] 720p, if I rendered to the correct format wmv then it play for all at a faster pace.

to many people thing quicktime.mov is the better on the net, when wmv is streaming ade for the net. lol

Always Welcomed
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:05 AM   #1009

Importing .MOV videos recorded by KODAK ZI8 directly to VIRTUALDUB (a free and light video editing/processing software).

Dear Fish,I experimented and have finally found a method to directly import videos (.MOV format-1080p+720p HD) recorded by KODAK ZI8 and i thought i would share with you guys.VIRTUALDUB is a free and light(1.9MB) but a very powerfull video editing(frame by frame),processing (allows to apply various filters) and encoding (compress the videos with different codecs) software.

Follow these simple steps,

1) Download the virtualdub version 1.9.9 (latest version) from the following link,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/virt...9.zip/download

NOW extract the contents of the downloaded file VirtualDub-1.9.9.zip to a folder VIRTUALDUB.

2) Download the .MOV import plugin for VIRTUALDUB from the follwing link.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub

3) Extract the contents of downloaded file Quicktime_VD_v0.2.0.0_bin.zip to plugins folder of virtualdub.

4) A folder called plugins32 will be created in the plugin folder of Virtualdub along with the quicktime.ini file.
Now comes the tricky part where everyone went wrong.
Now cut the contents of Plugins32 folder and paste it back to Plugin folder of virtualdub. Now delete the empty plugins32 folder.

5) Now cut the Quicktime.ini file from plugins folder of the virtualdub and paste it to root of VIRTUALDUB folder that contains the Virtualdub.exe file.

6) Now edit the quicktime.ini file using notepad and change the Mode=-1 to Mode=2 and then save the file.

7) Now double clip auxsetup.exe file in the VIRTUALDUB folder, a menu called Virtualdub 1.4 auxiliary setup will be displayed. Now singleclick the install handler
option and click ok. "avifile frameclient install successfull will be displayed"
NOw click ok.

8) It is very important to install QUICKTIME7 to your PC beforehand to get final step to work. You can download it from either of the following links,

http://download.cnet.com/QuickTime/3...-10436654.html

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

9)Now you are ready to open any .MOV video recorded by KODAK ZI8 using virtualdub and later edit/render it.

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1010

Thanks Petunder.

They have just rung me up to say the zi8 has arrived, but now it is not worth buying that much, supposed to be going in there now to buy. I could have got an aiptek or DXG locally for a lot less rather than waiting for this replaceable camera. I thought it was strange and tried to check these 24mb/s value before, but nobody verified it was different, (thanks). It could be that they have downgraded (drastically) in latter firmware release, but i think it is likely it is bad (as I thought it was suspicious at the time it came up originally, why i tried to verify).

So, in the next couple of minutes can somebody verify why the old clips were over 20mb/s (was it just saving clip in high quality mode from editor, or was it a firmware downgrade or whatever).) Thanks.

round 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by petunder View Post
Hi Wayne12!
I ve tryed to record complex scene, f.e. "the trees are sighing", bitrate in 1080p was 13,6 Mbit/s. Simple scenes, like a light room with little movement, takes 9,6 Mbit/s in 1080p.

But in 720p/60 bitrate is critically low. Car record takes only 5 Mbit/s!!! Thats exactly why quality of the record is very poor on 42'' LCD. Definitely, that Zi8 records looks fine in Yotube small window. But the issue is in big screens. When you connect Zi8 to HDMI LCD (Plasma), you will be disappointed because of compression artefacts.

I have 32 Gb SDHC and I want to increase quality and, of course, increase file size. But there is no interface...

Please, calculate bitrate for records, with video length more than 10 minutes. Use the file size in bytes, then divide it on video length (seconds) and multiply on 8 bits.
Yes, i did, but without broadband I am unable to load 10 minutes in, so just load what I can (a few minutes at most).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote