Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:37 AM   #1051

Guys,

I use a wireless NIC (network interface card) internet connection that gets connected at 230 Kbps speed and used to get a decent download speed of 20-30 KBPS ,but since last few weeks it dropped to 4-8 KBPS. I can't figure out a possible cause whether its a dreadfull virus infecting my PC (though i coudn't detect anything on a virus scan) and consuming the bandwidth or a error from the service providers side!

You know faster internet is lot more expensive out here and will leave a large hole in my pocket (allready have smaller ones and can't afford one more).

Since upload speed (1-2 KBPS at present) is allmost half the download speed it would take take atleast a few days to upload a 300Mb video.If i tell that i started uploading the video and not done with it even after a week , it would give maxhuey more sleepless nights (need to give him some time to recover from his abdominal pain.....) and i don't want it to happen . I have a few videos ready to be aired...............Soon I'll upload a video on the compression artifacts and bitrate issue that bothers me a lot..........

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 14, 2010 at 1:41 AM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:46 AM   #1052

Sorry to here that drramkishorehs, it doesn't sound right at all. I take it that the NIC is a wireless broadband modem (not a wireless connection to wried broadband, that other people hack and use in background).

I would contact customer support of your service provider right a way and checkup on the issue. You would have to be in a bad position to get 20-30kb/s, let alone 8kb/s (though the change in seasons can drastically affects signal quality on such a marginal signal). In this case, going to 2.8mb/s signal might not yield too much more.

It could even be a hardware issue with the Nic. Anti-virus/hacking etc software only finds so many problems (1/3rd if you are unlucky), there could still be something there. So, it could take a while to discover the reason.

Try a fresh separate install of the nic on another machine at the same location and see if it works? You would need the original software CD (not copied from the other machine) to avoid copying the rootkit/hack that might be causing the problem. the two machines should never be connected. If it works in the same room, it isn't service provider or nic hardware (except if nic doesn't like one machine instead of other) but could still be driver, configuration, virus hack etc. If you test at another location and it works, it might still be service/signal problem at your location as well.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:16 AM   #1053

Wayne, thanks for the update,

My service provider is government run but are famous for a very poor customer service and they are just intrested in making more number of connections but don't listen to customers later.

They tell me that there was a server issue which has allready been resolved.

I have allready tried a uninstall-restart-fresh install of the bundled driver and software cd but to no avail.

I also tried a registry (cleaner and error repair) software as well as windows xp repair (with the original xp sp3 cd) but no improvements.

I also scanned my PC with Avast and Spybot (both updated virus definitions) for viruses but none was found.

NIC here refers to network interface card (resembles an USB thumb drive) that functions under the EDGE technology connecting at 230.4 Kbps.

Recently they upgraded the network to 3G and would that have caused the issue?

I don't have another system to check at my residence but i'll try to get some friends laptop and will surely try your suggestion dude.

The only solution leaft to me reformat my Hard Disk and do a fresh install of Windows Xp but I would't like to do that because i have formatted my Hard Disk quite a number of times and have a lot of software installed on my system and reinstalling them would take hours.

By the way my PC configuration is,
Windows XP SP3
Intel Pentium Dual core Processor,
Intel G41 chipset

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 14, 2010 at 6:27 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 9:46 AM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
[SIZE="4"]Wayne, thanks for the update,

[COLOR="Blue"]My service provider is government run but are famous for a very poor customer service and they are just intrested in making more number of connections but don't listen to customers later.

They tell me that there was a server issue which has allready been resolved.

I have allready tried a uninstall-restart-fresh install of the bundled driver and software cd but to no avail.
I don't know if a bot network hack will survive a complete reformat or not (but I would not be surprised) and then re-install, but if it is a motherboard then yes definitely it can survive (it could even save itself on other pieces of hardware if their very crafty, like your nic, though have not heard of anybody doing this (except maybe normal broadband router)).

Quote:
I also tried a registry (cleaner and error repair) software as well as windows xp repair (with the original xp sp3 cd) but no improvements.

I also scanned my PC with Avast and Spybot (both updated virus definitions) for viruses but none was found.
A these efforts can be completely useless, if the software is not designed to pack up the particular attack.

This is why I suggested separate other owner machine (preferably not also infected). it is horrendous.

Believe me it is very difficult to ensure security on modern hardware, even a lot of pieces of hardware have processors and memory to hide things, that crafty hackers could use eventually. I know, because I spent years trying to formulate the design of an ultra secure operating system and hardware system, and the rest of the market still hasn't caught up. The PC is virtually not worth it, there are just so many avenues of attack into a PC. I just install a few packages and leave it go (and broadband is a big no, no, you leave it on, and wherever you are using it or not, somebody else could be using, and not realize it is happening). Also the way the operating system company and applications companies run things, you don't know what is going on, constantly in the background doing things you did not request and accessing and downloading things without get clearance from you, they make it easy for hackers. You look at the disk and say why is that operating, or what is accessing the internet, and you don't know if it is the internal software ILLEGITIMATELY (Class a) accessing the Internet, of some hack. I opened my flash properties the other day, and found a request from some asian company to access my webcam (I don't have one installed for obvious reasons) and how am I to know if this is a hack group or some device/application software I have installed. If you spend all the time keeping up with security then what time do you have left for other things. Hacking is probably like a drug, you get a buzz from it, I get a buzz from designing things that nobody else has come up with (I don't store it on the computer), and you get into the routine and have to keep doing it, and keep doing it, and keep doing... over, over and over again. But you miss out in other things in life, to get out and enjoy new things, and new types of relationships with people. Your brain normally changes and opens up over the years to these new things, if you let it, and you find more to enjoy, but if you spend all your time bogged down in anything it might go unnoticed for years. Like many things, good to make some money and set yourself up, but remember to stop to enjoy the roses.

Quote:
NIC here refers to network interface card (resembles an USB thumb drive) that functions under the EDGE technology connecting at 230.4 Kbps.
Yep, that is what I was trying to remember, sick of this sickness.

Quote:
Recently they upgraded the network to 3G and would that have caused the issue?
Yep, not necessarily any interference, but maybe potentially if the the 3G network service was preference over the EDGE network, especially so users can go to 3G. I don't remember if 3G displaces EDGE (so you change towers to 3G, and leave minimal towers on EDGE reducing quality). As I said, too much to remember, to know, I prefer one universal simple hardwire and wireless interface for each type, programming interface etc and inter-compatibility.

Last edited by Wayne12; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Last minute editing, delayed by system problems.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1055

Hello Wayne, Thanks once again for the update.

I don't seem to have any choices leaft and my brain is totally exhausted thinking a possible solution. I have fully run out of ideas and it wasn't possible for me to get a laptop to my place to sort out of things as per your direction. I wish you would be here to see it to yourself how pitiable is the net speed!

Finally tommorow ,am switching to a 512 Kbps copper wire internet connection ( via fixed telephone-landline).

How much maximum download speed i could exploit is it 64 KBps (512Kbps/8=64KBps right)?

The free download managers ,do they really boost the download speed?

Which browser do you recommend to increase the browsing speed (page rendering etc)? Any recons to tweak net speed.

Finally for security shall i go with free Avast Anti-virus (I like boot scan) coupled with Spybot SD Anti-spyware (rescued me once from registry error) ? I don't want to buy paid versions.

For system maintainance i use Tuneup Utilities 2010 and Auslogics Disk Defragmentation tool.

I think i am asking too many questions but i would prefer to have your expertise . Presently i am using opera browser + download accelerator plus (for downloads).

Keenly awaiting your reply!

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1056

Camera refunded, I explain what was wrong. Good to get a refund, refund policy not like the US, and has further tightened recently. Very disappointing to see the problem that was in the senor, not only the same pixels repeatedly going to dark state, but also other fixed pattern stuff. Did not really like to refund, they did me a good service in the first place.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post
Hello Wayne, Thanks once again for the update.

I don't seem to have any choices leaft and my brain is totally exhausted thinking a possible solution. I have fully run out of ideas and it wasn't possible for me to get a laptop to my place to sort out of things as per your direction. I wish you would be here to see it to yourself how pitiable is the net speed!

Try it at a friends, place, at least you will know it can work, even take your computer there for comparison..

Quote:
Finally tommorow ,am switching to a 512 Kbps copper wire internet connection ( via fixed telephone-landline).

How much maximum download speed i could exploit is it 64 KBps (512Kbps/8=64KBps right)?

The free download managers ,do they really boost the download speed?

Which browser do you recommend to increase the browsing speed (page rendering etc)? Any recons to tweak net speed.
I am often so sick, i can not keep pace, so i don't know. Opera is normally a good browser for all these things, but in recent years I find it normally too buggy for me, and even though you let them know some bugs just remain, and make life difficult.

Quote:
Finally for security shall i go with free Avast Anti-virus (I like boot scan) coupled with Spybot SD Anti-spyware (rescued me once from registry error) ? I don't want to buy paid versions.

For system maintainance i use Tuneup Utilities 2010 and Auslogics Disk Defragmentation tool.

I think i am asking too many questions but i would prefer to have your expertise . Presently i am using opera browser + download accelerator plus (for downloads).
Quote:

Keenly awaiting your reply!

No expertise in this area, just slithers of information here and there. but i know they say that software often only picks up 30% of the bugs, so Googling good to find best, but I find often root kit detection etc is not free (not that they would be able to successfully get the root kit off before it did damage). but there is also a new way of doing virus protection, and i also come up with a scheme, where they compare file checksum to what it should be for system etc files, and maybe repair. So a file tries to modify a file, and file changes from what it should be instant detection, forget the name of it. If only I had been abel to brign my OS out, ten tiems reduction in cost of security. As it si, the OS's are so big, (clumbsy probably still) and overly complex and convultd, I don't keep up with there internals (even many people who write top OS, proabbly only keep up with a few sections, as many people work on them and proabbly only limited subsections)
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:02 AM   #1058

Hello guys,

Can't seem to find anyone posting for a past few days..........

Can't see this thread dying...............

I thought i better take the initiative to bring it back to life...............

Today I purchased a connector cable (50 cents=25 INR) with male socket for ZI8 TV out port on one end and a female 3.5mm jack for connecting Head phone on the other end.

As posted earlier when you connect ZI8 with head phone through this cable the ZI8 LCD went idle (light goes off) though i could hear the sound on my head phone!

But when you unplug the connector the LCD comes back alive....

This indicates that the ZI8 treated this cord just like the TV out AV cable.

So its a total waste investing on these type of connectors that don't allow us to watch video on ZI8 while using the Head phone.

It means that you can't use ZI8 as PMP while using head phones!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1059

Holidays around the country, the world, etc, does not mean a dying thread, topic, etc.

I am shooting video while working, and can post but I have to edit, etc...

I shot not with the zi8, but the playsport, does not mean I am diverting, ducking, just its the cam I bought last. I sit at the side of the rail road track{working tracks} and am saying to myself;
I should use the zi8 more for my vacation and hook a ext mic narrate to the cam in a calm voice. Something that the playsport one day will have.

Prefrence is what I have....

For personal headset, be modificatio to the speaker and that is not so hard,rather leave it alone tan have glue and a added port.

I am sure cutting out the tv play of the. Circuitry, and adding wire to tv playback is a more professional manner but hey I need some one elses cam to observe this on. Lol not mine
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:01 PM   #1060

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ZAmaQ2Wek

here iswhat I did today enjoy neverperfect, nor will I ever be.