Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:26 PM   #1071

Default Zoom/darkening problem

Hi all, came across this forum when researching the issue with Zi8 but it looks like it's not just me, it's all of them. I have the latest firmware but when I am recording on 720p, when I zoom in about halfway, the picture jerks and the light gets darker. Assuming that is happening with everyone's model and not just mine?

I thought I had read that newest firmware solved that but that must have been a different zoom issue. Does anyone know why this happens? It forces me to use 1080p if I don't want jerky video when zooming. Any resolution?
rlp2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:53 PM   #1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlp2955 View Post
Hi all, came across this forum when researching the issue with Zi8 but it looks like it's not just me, it's all of them. I have the latest firmware but when I am recording on 720p, when I zoom in about halfway, the picture jerks and the light gets darker. Assuming that is happening with everyone's model and not just mine?

I thought I had read that newest firmware solved that but that must have been a different zoom issue. Does anyone know why this happens? It forces me to use 1080p if I don't want jerky video when zooming. Any resolution?

I have not seen that happen to me since I don't use the digital zoom for anything. I find it useless since it will never compare to an optical zoom ever. Another thing is why do you shoot on 720p? Why not just shoot on 1080p? The difference is very noticable. I recorded some video on both 720p and 1080p and made an HD Blu-Ray and put it on my Blu-Ray player to see it on my Panasonic Plasma (52") and let me tell you man, that 1080p looks absolutely fantastic!!!!!.....Forget about 720p!
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:54 AM   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
Fishy what do you think of that Toshiba Microphone for the Zi8?
looks interesting. resembels the Sony, but i know thesony i have is not a great body design. it already snapped one of the three I have.

you'll need an additional adaptor to get the proper angle. or angles .
maybe there is a person who ownsone that has observed its oeration out there.

again looks interesting, not for 60.00 though.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:56 AM   #1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlp2955 View Post

@30% zoom the camera adjust levels, due to the sensor or aoto ISO setting, itoccurres in all resolutions, a correction can be made in editing using auto color or exposure.

fw 1.03-to fw1.06 zoom increment wascorected to seamless.
Kodak never given a answer
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTZoXsxM6U

a short versionand others will benefit from this video for purchasing
Hey fish, The 1st video was better and this clip is the best! Which video editor do you use...........media impression it is?

Also did you fiiddle with any of settings in the hidden service menu on ZI8 for optimum performance?

Why people bother too much about the digital zoom (i consider it a total waste in front of optical zoom and also accept that the optical zoom can't be added to a compact camcoder) which is a mere stretching of the details and details are virtually lost than gained.

Are we settling with the fact that something is better than nothing?
Instead of digital zoom why not zoom in while video editing?

I hate camera manufactorers highlighting 20x..40x.......100x digital zoom as one of salient features of their cam!

People should'nt be bogged down by numbers and rather stick to optical zoom.

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jun 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:08 PM   #1076

I thought that short version covered al, lol magix movie editor, and what hidden setting?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:48 PM   #1077

Quote:
looks interesting. resembels the Sony, but i know thesony i have is not a great body design. it already snapped one of the three I have.

you'll need an additional adaptor to get the proper angle. or angles .
maybe there is a person who ownsone that has observed its oeration out there.

again looks interesting, not for 60.00 though.

Oh I agree that the $60.00 is ridiculous. However, Amazon has it for $24.00 and Sears for $28.00. Radio Shack is always more expensive than everyone else. They think their inventory is made with Gold. I know, I used to be a manager for them.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:43 PM   #1078

Quote:
@30% zoom the camera adjust levels, due to the sensor or aoto ISO setting, itoccurres in all resolutions, a correction can be made in editing using auto color or exposure.

fw 1.03-to fw1.06 zoom increment wascorected to seamless.
Kodak never given a answer
Mine does not do it at all resolutions. The zoom and color seems to be fine on 1080p. All of the other modes do it though...zoom about 3/4 of the way and the color gets darker and there is a jerking motion on the video. I am assuming we are talking about the same issue? And also assuming it's experienced by everyone?
rlp2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:44 PM   #1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
Oh I agree that the $60.00 is ridiculous. However, Amazon has it for $24.00 and Sears for $28.00. Radio Shack is always more expensive than everyone else. They think their inventory is made with Gold. I know, I used to be a manager for them.
I remember every item used to be by Arrow, and not other companies LOL. free beach balls, flash lights, with coupons, and not asingle purchase, had to be made. those were the days.

I am sure no matter whattype of Mic you purchase would do just fine, and i am sure after awhile, it'll collect dust.

I find that it does not really make a big difference at all. andwhy I purchased a Clone. even a omni directional single mic of GE laptop did just fine.

Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:48 PM   #1080

Quote:
I remember every item used to be by Arrow, and not other companies LOL. free beach balls, flash lights, with coupons, and not asingle purchase, had to be made. those were the days.

I am sure no matter whattype of Mic you purchase would do just fine, and i am sure after awhile, it'll collect dust.

I find that it does not really make a big difference at all. andwhy I purchased a Clone. even a omni directional single mic of GE laptop did just fine.

Well I assume I can just use the Zi8 mic and then convert the audio to stereo using iMovie or Garageband on the iMac.