Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:00 PM   #1081

you have the options.

I tried vaarious situations extending left and right micetc, etc, and the sound is as best as the Kodak allows. my opinion.

Normally when oneedits the program does that lef/right sound, you just do not getthe trueeffect?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:18 PM   #1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
you have the options.

I tried vaarious situations extending left and right micetc, etc, and the sound is as best as the Kodak allows. my opinion.

Normally when oneedits the program does that lef/right sound, you just do not getthe trueeffect?

So what do you suggest?

1. Use the Kodak Zi8 built-in Mic
2. Get an external Mic

If option 2, which brand and kind do you suggest or prefer?
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:32 PM   #1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
So what do you suggest?

2. Get an external Mic

the choice is truely yours. I own budget items.

I am contented with the GE mic 10.00 at target a lapel boom mic

http://www.jascoproducts.com/product...&idcategory=15

like I said 10.00 at target. 5.00 if rally looking hard.

sony clone mic 5.00 shipped off ebay will break in due time,
I am contented with them they do their job if asked.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:33 PM   #1084

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j82mEjqo-s4

Vwest shows a excellent video demo'ing some he may suggest,
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:24 AM   #1085

Quote:
Here's a sample video I did today. This is a video I took with the Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Camera. As you can see, it takes amazing video. This was taken in the afternoon, when the sun was beginning to go down. This camera is not a bad deal for $129.00.

NOTE: keep in mind that YouTube reduces the quality of the video during processing, but as you can see, the quality of the video is absolutely gorgeous for this type of camera.

VIEW VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haxEpJTlY3k
Sooner or later, you will find that using the 720P make the video a lots smoother due to 60 FPS and the video quality compared to 1080P is not that much difference, specially when uploaded to YT. Bonus also 720P had a much wider fileld of view.

1080P if for steady cam on tripod and not panning. great for still or very slow moving subject.

After many hunddreds of hours of shooting video, I use 720P almost exclusively and never zoom.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:29 AM   #1086

Quote:
So what do you suggest?

2. Get an external Mic

In order to get real stereo sound, Left and Right Mic ned to be at least 10' apart. when they are 1" apart (as in the cloned sony mic), it simply have 2 tracks of audio but they sound the same as mono since the sound arrived at the mic head at the same time. If the mics are 10' apart, the sounds arrived at different time which makes it sound alive.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:42 AM   #1087

Guys,

I uploaded a video on how to import KODAK ZI8 videos (.MOV) videos into VIRTUALDUB.
I would appreciate your comments on that!

One thing i found is while u record videos on ur KODAK ZI8 u turnoff the EIS and this will save some battery life. Later open the video in VIRTUALDUB and stabilise the video using the DESHAKER filter.

U can edit ur videos frame by frame,trim it apply various other filters (smoothen,sharpen,noise reduction,rotate,resize,contrast-hue-saturation correction,deinterlace,applying logo etc) .You can change the frame rate and color spacing of ur video. U also have various AUDIO tools.

Encode ur video with DIVX or XVID codec (better than .MOV)) to reduce the file size to less than 50% of original size without much loss in video quality.

The Youtube link to the video is,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJAM6FYDis

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:10 PM   #1088

I am quite happy with this camera. I just came back from the beach here in Daytona and took some sample shots on 1080p. They look absolutely fantastic, but Fishy is right about one thing. The 1080p is good and looks awesome when on a Tripod and taking steady shots. 720p is the winner for action and constant camera movement.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:51 PM   #1089

Do not credit me for MAXHUEYS suggestions

I writen my likes anddislikes. And I as well others Preferre to ultilize HD720P60fps, andam happyto have a full stabilization cam in all res's never being perfect in hd1080P, hy my ideal setting is 720P
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:00 PM   #1090

I was hoping you guys could help me out. I Just bought a certified refurbished Kodak zi8, and it has some issues. when I plug it in to charge, the back gets really hot and the charge light comes on for about a minute; then it turns off. I tried taking out the battery and plugging it in to my computer and it turns on and I get live feed for about a minute before the back gets really hot and the whole thing shuts off again. I have to wait until the back cools down before i can turn it on again. Is it just overheating because it's simply a defective unit, or is there something that i can do? thanks.
Jim the 19th is offline   Reply With Quote