Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:56 AM   #1091
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4
Default

Quite insightful reviews of the Kodak. I guess if I have chance I would sell my Samsung and buy a new Kodak. thanks.
christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:27 AM   #1092
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the 19th View Post
I was hoping you guys could help me out. I Just bought a certified refurbished Kodak zi8, and it has some issues. when I plug it in to charge, the back gets really hot and the charge light comes on for about a minute; then it turns off. I tried taking out the battery and plugging it in to my computer and it turns on and I get live feed for about a minute before the back gets really hot and the whole thing shuts off again. I have to wait until the back cools down before i can turn it on again. Is it just overheating because it's simply a defective unit, or is there something that i can do? thanks.

Welcome aboard Jim.....

the ZI8 has a Auto OFF of 3-5 minutes, if not pressed of any button of use, called standby, are you sure that is what is hapening?

The ZI8 Plugged in will generate heat, the Zi8 filming will generate more heat.

TheZI8 uses the battery when plugged in to the usb, and runs off the battery not, the usb, till its turned off.

if your unit is shutting down, then it is like you said, maulfunctioning..
lets see if others can join in and answer some of thequestions, and confirm

I need to double check.

As the main site has a review and no topic of descussion I am sure you'll get the best help from me here LMAO!
__________________
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1093
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Welcome aboard Jim.....

the ZI8 has a Auto OFF of 3-5 minutes, if not pressed of any button of use, called standby, are you sure that is what is hapening?

The ZI8 Plugged in will generate heat, the Zi8 filming will generate more heat.

TheZI8 uses the battery when plugged in to the usb, and runs off the battery not, the usb, till its turned off.

if your unit is shutting down, then it is like you said, maulfunctioning..
lets see if others can join in and answer some of thequestions, and confirm

I need to double check.

As the main site has a review and no topic of descussion I am sure you'll get the best help from me here LMAO!
thanks for the reply.
I know that it's not going into standby because it will shut down even while i am in the middle of messing with it's settings.

i was reading some of the earlier posts and there was a guy that had a similar problem on page 85. I think he eventually bought a replacement battery.

However, shouldn't the camera stay on as long as it is plugged in without a battery? Since my camera won't stay on no matter what i do, it leads me to believe that it has an internal problem.
Jim the 19th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:05 PM   #1094
Senior Member
 
scorbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Daytona, FL
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the 19th View Post
I was hoping you guys could help me out. I Just bought a certified refurbished Kodak zi8, and it has some issues. when I plug it in to charge, the back gets really hot and the charge light comes on for about a minute; then it turns off. I tried taking out the battery and plugging it in to my computer and it turns on and I get live feed for about a minute before the back gets really hot and the whole thing shuts off again. I have to wait until the back cools down before i can turn it on again. Is it just overheating because it's simply a defective unit, or is there something that i can do? thanks.
You said it: "refurbished"
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:50 PM   #1095
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Today my pc crapped out..............

so win 7 is my new friend...........

USB will not run the cam without a battery, the ac plug will.

If a new battery is the culprit, then the cam will function correctly, but we're not sure, you are having interruption while fiddeling with the buttons, and it cuts off. that can be a capaciter, transistor etc. and like others are saying refurb .

I do no like swapping but for 130.00 at bestbuy. a new one coud have been had.
__________________
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:41 PM   #1096
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Default

It was refurbished by kodak and has a one year warranty, but yeah, refurbished does mean refurbished.

I am just going to have to wait while I send for better one.
thanks.
Jim the 19th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:54 PM   #1097
Senior Member
 
scorbing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Daytona, FL
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the 19th View Post
It was refurbished by kodak and has a one year warranty, but yeah, refurbished does mean refurbished.

I am just going to have to wait while I send for better one.
thanks.

Stay away from refurbished stuff Jim. That's like buying something out of a pawn shop except you get a so-called warranty. Buy new, even if it costs you a couple of $$$ more.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:19 PM   #1098
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
Stay away from refurbished stuff Jim. That's like buying something out of a pawn shop except you get a so-called warranty. Buy new, even if it costs you a couple of $$$ more.
yeah i know that now.

i think i'll send it back for their 90% refund and buy a new one at Bestbuy.

thankyou for all your help guys.
Jim the 19th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1099
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim the 19th View Post
yeah i know that now.

i think i'll send it back for their 90% refund and buy a new one at Bestbuy.

thankyou for all your help guys.

and why should you accept a 90% refund?

You unit has a intermitten partial short that is consumming larger than normal amount of power. After a minute of self diagnosing, the housekeeping eprom shut the unit down to protect other parts from destroying themself. Kodak should have replaced it with a good working unit for free, including shipping, unless you did not buy directly from Kodak, in which case the selling party is giving you a jerk!

If bought from Kodak, you can insist on them replacing with a "new" unit for the trouble you went through. I believe they will be more than happy to oblidge... Cheers, max
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:00 AM   #1100
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

We do not know his whole story;

if Purchased from Kodak, and they stted returns on refurbbed that way. I deffently steer clear, and not be a fool.

I would expect a refurrbed unit at 100% perfect working order, a clean body a spankin brand new battery a new strap a case a remote for 10.00 less, and 10% refund.

Yes return demand full refund plus your shipping and free shipping. do not accept less.
__________________
These are Pc low Budget Economy Hybrid camcorders Great for the Daytime Outdoor shots
Light on the Object video made. No light No Video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.