Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 20, 2010, 1:44 PM   #1151

So, I visited my local Best Buy and plugged the camera into several "new" computers -desktops and laptops. You are correct. The regular video clips played smoothly...no issues. The only choppy video was playing an HD clip. Techs said it will always be choppy as the HD files are too big for the usb buffering with the USB cable that is part of the camera.

So, I suppose the camera works properly but my number one issue is the labelling by Kodak of the minimum specs. My desktop 100% meets all the minimum specs but it is obviously not enough to play the video via USB from the camera directly. This fact really bothers me. And it is one hell of an incovenience to always have to copy to harddrive to watch with no buffer issues.

All understood and solved.

Thanks.
sdector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:45 PM   #1152

I am no pro. an glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hear ya now iunderstand that you do not want to....

but have you as well tried it with the ext card reader, its one or two steps,but we will forgt to put back in cam and say "hey I missed that shot, b/c the card is not in the cam"

And that brings up one more observation.
internal pc card reader SMOOTH.

so now that the cam is working, the only other problem can be are you 100% sure the sdcard you have purchased is not counterfiet?

I use Sandisks, panasonic, Kingston, A-Data, Duracell, or polaroid. and again class cards or not, I range from 8mb-16gb. class 2-class4 possably one class 6 or 15mbbs. Most store bought, and few online at overstock, not ebay.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:15 PM   #1153

Default as a rule of thumb

most manufacturer will specify a minimum speed for their equipment to work, below that speed, it will stop dead on the track. now minimum speed does not equate to that it will run smoothly, most of the time it is just engineer's theoretical calculation minimum requirements to just be able to function. also, you computer's cpu must not be doing anything else but devoted solely to that one function. having said that, have you ever seen any MS driven computer doing that? I am running MI on my hp 6430 laptop and HD video still go choppy, but not on my brand spanking new Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz (gift from daughter).
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:21 PM   #1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdector View Post
So, I visited my local Best Buy .... Techs said it will always be choppy as the HD files are too big for the usb buffering with the USB cable that is part of the camera.
BB is probably not the best place to get tech advice, I have no problem playing HD video (1080 or 720) directly from Zi8 to USB port on my new puter
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:36 PM   #1155

No place is the best place, the only best place is to research.

As quicktime player,andwin media player are the orginal players. Started with the lowest res ad now in HD res. so best to be at par and not overkill.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:14 PM   #1156

So I don't have to search thru 101 pages of posts...can someone tell me about how long a battery will last on a single charge? I've got a long Disney trip planned in December and I'll need to figure out how many extra batteries to buy.

Thanks in advance!!!
Thrashplayhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:52 PM   #1157

page one at the 1st post on bottom, I talked about Battery life.

So I shall repeat what is on and about the whole topic, no sweat.

Hd1080P, HD720P with EIS on, and Face On will get 50 minutes

HD1080P, hd720P EIS off. face On , or EIS on, and face off will be a few percent difference

HD1080P, HD720p EIS off, Face off will get you around 1hr 20 minutes.

now WVGA is a totally different story, it will offer you a good 1 hr 58 minutes less Eis and face, but once they go on Power is consumed

I recommend and what I did was use a external battery pack, while you have a fully powered cam, you have add'l power, it will charge the battery, extend the battery, and you can use any aftermarket, or Kodaks.

I shot full ride video's all day 2 spare batterys and a ext pack. and I had the cam running on/off.

I hope this info was enough to get you started.
do your own observation, and you'll see that running it in these modes you'll vary.

16gb card is what I used

Last edited by fishycomics; Aug 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:32 PM   #1158

Are there any manufacturers that make skins/covers for the Zi8? Something similar to iPhone/Blackberry covers?
Thrashplayhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:50 PM   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashplayhere View Post
Are there any manufacturers that make skins/covers for the Zi8? Something similar to iPhone/Blackberry covers?
When this topic was started, a member said he was oing overseas, and have a skin made up, neverrealy heard back or remember if he got one. something that has to be taken into concideration.

The back is not flat it has a curviture, the front I am sure can be painted. Only if Kodak sold spare bat covers you can have all the colours without purchasing a new model.

I would get a cover and spray paint. over a 3m skin?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:17 PM   #1160

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUBT6wqEqwE

enjoy