Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:51 PM   #1171

As the above Poster purchased was a recertified cam.

I understand you are not allowed to return for cash but a exchange. I do that. the Cmos sensor is damaged in a way. most complain of the lines but I do not complain of a low budget cam.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:23 PM   #1172

Could a cmos sensor be damsged in a way that would only show up in such a specific way and even then only intermittently? Playing with the cam in the day time yields some very nice results. Mayb I will try to reflash 1.06. In the meantime I have 30 days to exchange with newegg then another 60 days of warranty from Kodak. I'll play around a little more before I deal with the hassle of rma. I'll post an example later if I can't fix it.
robchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:52 PM   #1173

anything may be possable fw 1.01 was orginal fw 1.03 may be newer, and fw 1.5,1.06 even newer, all different company cmoses, only way to know is label or company.

As to flash you have to modify to reflash, just reloading will not work you will currupt the total media file and must not go off the hacked instructions
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:27 PM   #1174

Oh ok, I thought I read that reflashing the current version would work. I dont want to void my warranty. ill just continue to check it out for a day then decide whether to exchange or not
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:57 PM   #1175

You can load the fw 1.06 follow the step by step instructions. When you see check mark and uncheck mark that will mean you are able to FLASH. but when you try to reload any firmware : fw 1.06 reflash fw 1.06 you weill not see those check marks. you may try it, I am not telling not to I just know from my own tests that if you load in fw and you see just the camera's live screen that means it will not load. simple as that. try it .

but do not go the hackedway. otehrs did , others may go off and explore and that is what you do not want to do.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:45 PM   #1176

Thanks for the info fishy, Normally I am a hacky kind of guy. Hence the reason I own an android phone, run linux on a couple of my systems, I feel a need to tweak most stuff I own, but not while I'm still in warranty. At least with my phone it is very hard to actually brick it, and there is a Update Utility that can restore it back to 100% factory and HTC and Sprint would be none the wiser. I do not think this is a CMOS issue as it only seems to manifest itself in one recording setting and sometimes it goes away within a second, or once I switch recording modes it does not reappear even when I switch back. Also I feel like I'm doing that thing like where you have a sore tooth or your elbow hurts so you keep rubbing your tongue over it or jerking your arm over and over again just to check if it still hurts. I am going to use the cam in normal settings for a few days and see if this blue line is persistent or not. I think I might just be throwing some conditions at it that it wouldn't normally handle, high contrast bright monitor panning to a dimly lit room with some weird lighting conditions.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:04 PM   #1177

JUst remember is a low budget cam with a very powerful system behind it
no problem try keeping to hd720p60f, and hten feel free to shoot the other modes.

Reason why I am holdingt ight on the Playsport, itworks, does not need to be updated Super-pleased, others reloaded and now show blotch spots. Sad thata company has issues..............
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:09 PM   #1178

I am satisfied with it so far. Especially as I got it for $15 cheaper then the cheapest rock bottom amazon or ebay price I could find. Newegg shell shocker deals are awesome. I bought it to bridge a gap for me. Sooner or later I am going to step up to a higher end Digital Camcorder, but in the mean time I found this deal, and jumped on it. I figure I could probably make a fair amount of the cash back if I ever do sell it. In the meantime I am just enjoying playing around with it.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:51 PM   #1179

remanufactered or recertified it is as I read there.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:21 PM   #1180

Yes it is recertified. I have no problem purchasing refurb/recertified. Heck, if you purchase something new and need to have it warrantied half the time they replace it with a refurb. I purchase loads of electronics and have never seemed to have any more or less problems with refurb over new.