Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:11 PM   #111

WOW the price at amazon dropped to 147$ maybe because of people talking about some problems of this camera.
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:21 PM   #112

Kodak gives you a USA version adaptor, take note of the adaptor it is. They use a usb type.

The other one is what you should look for in your region. I recieved that with my DOD f200HD, and thought i show what you should get.

Ifyou can grab a mp3 adaptor for ac tht uses a USB port, then you are set. All you do is use the MP3 one, and the supplied usb cable of kodak.

If you do not want to deal with the ac adaptor then just plug the kodak in to your usb port
it can charge camera to pc,camera to ac plug.

Thisis the way companies are going. so one can always grab a aftermarket. I use my triplug usb, and 2 sockets in a 12vdc all works fine.

This cam can record live feed only when using a ac adaptor or dc adaptor, will not record plugged into a tv as tv playback. dam!
I hope that helps just a little.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:16 PM   #113

If it's like that I should just be able to get a three pronged plug adapter.

Quote:
This cam can record live feed only when using a ac adaptor or dc adaptor, will not record plugged into a tv as tv playback. dam!
I hope that helps just a little.
So you're saying that it can still record if it's plugged in to the adapter? That would be necessary for me because I need to record for long periods!
lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:02 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybones View Post
If it's like that I should just be able to get a three pronged plug adapter.

So you're saying that it can still record if it's plugged in to the adapter? That would be necessary for me because I need to record for long periods!

the plug to the right is Kodak.

the plug to the left is DOD
plugging to any mp3will work
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:36 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybones View Post
Does anyone know... if I bought a Zi8 from the states, would it cause problems as the rest of my footage would be PAL? Or does it make no odds as it's recorded to SD card?
If you are doing 50p or 50i, the 30/60 NTSC footage would have to converted to blend in, which causes lower quality blended frames or distracting skipped frames. It is better most of the time to use 50p cameras, but the NTSC markets are yet to catch up. However, many of these types of cameras come in brain dead 30/60 only modes, the Samsung u10 comes in 50/25 modes also, but appears to have (there is conflicting information out there) lower data-rate, which is probably a grade lower in quality, but it is alleged that the Kodak has lower sensor resolution then fullHD (which helps with compression but is still less resolution).

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:02 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Now I hear many people on youtube complain about vertical lines on the video, and unsure about what they mean?

the zi8's screen hs a pixal of of size in width vs. height, and will be good enough just to show, what you are viewing. never is it supposed to be HD viewing.

The screen when in full zoom will produce noise in different levels of lighting and may as well be on film to, for example. In Pic 1 I show low lighting full zoom, purple specs/pixals/etc. all over the place. and I am sure this may be on the still as well. a snapshot is needed.

In pic 2 there are vertical lines on levels of a whilte, low level wall. These may as well be like mentioned above, and yet t osee them on the video or view it on video.

the actual snapshot is off a camera andwill be very hard to show angling is needed and lighting of screen is hard to capture.

Its best to say Kodak already stated this is not a night time camcorder ,LOL.

Can you prove them wrong?

pic 1

pic 2
I cannot see much in these pictures. Are you talking about the vertical columns of noise, purple noise or an interpolation artifact from up-sizing from 1.6mpixel to full HD?

I have seen the noise columns in daytime on one camera I returned here. while companies tell you that this is normal, it can be caused by low grade batch of sensors or associated components, and if other cameras normally does not have it, but yours does, then it could be a quality control issue.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:54 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
You will not see them at daytime, but at nightshots.
Unfortunately, this is not true. The streaks occur at all light levels. This is from a video I took at work, in a very well-lit environment. It's most noticeable against the dark cabinets, but you can also see the red streaks on the far right of the picture, against the cubicle wall.

Once you notice the lines for the first time, they are glaringly obvious from that point on. It's a shame, it's an otherwise great camera. But I can't excuse a defect like this. I've already exchanged it once, and the new one has the same problem. I suppose I could keep trying until I get one that isn't defective, but I'm guessing a large percentage of them are, and I'd just be wasting my time. Can't recommend the Zi8 until this is fixed.

Last edited by jrstinkfish; Oct 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
jrstinkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:44 AM   #118

Plus you don't want the company to go broke replacing cameras.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:49 AM   #119

Fishy, I have found something else strange.

The U10 videos so far are measuring around 3mbyte/s (24mb/s), the daytime shots from the Kodak steves review are also round 3MB/s, but none of the night samples from the thread seem to be this high, only up around 2MB/s.

As I suggested somewhere editing software could be rendering to a different format, or maybe night time footage is using a lower compression rate due to blacks and noise reduction? Which ever is the case, will decide on who is doing better.

What have you discovered in the raw uncompressed file data rates?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:02 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
It is hard to tell, the image is noisy and streaky, but not very streaky, certainly better many times than the flat DXG I tried. The streaking would be acceptable for very low light, but this is a lot brighter.