Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:23 PM   #1231

found it by just typing in....

The ext battery is no taller than what I shown of the zapp, and the zapp is no bigger or near the size of the zi8. lets say its two fingers lower.

Now would the DE be better, for pocket space, or the Zapp?

I say make a layout and see if zapp or DE fits to your needs.

Oe is buly, the other is flat.

Again remember the Zapp's system has a removable battery. and what if you cannot get to Ac power, but a store is available for battery purchases.. I go with the Zapp, or home made.

To make our own mod's, it seems its better to purchase what is out there. I knoticed , a member saying that kodak has their own for 35.00 last year. I feel Kodak left this info out. and not a great thing.

I again went away, had not a problem, carrying this a second set of aa's anda 2 spares. the worstthat could have happened a hot pocket. I eventully had to change out all the batts by the end of the day. and I had to awake at the middle of the night to switch batteries forcharging on both units.

I used 2 sets of aa's and 3 kodak batterries. The Zap takes around 3-5hours forfull charge. I could have taken my own charger as well.

I must remember this will work for my google phone LOL.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 6:32 PM   #1232

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0TP9apXC8

zpp it a lil more talkin
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:07 AM   #1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
No Max I wanted to use 3 AA or 3 C NiMH batteries as a power pack and use the power port not the USB port. I realized the battery pack that Fish mention is almost the same size as the Zi8. Not liking that. But I may consider it
Yes I understand. I point out USB as a reference to the voltage (5 Volts) that was supplied to the cam for charging/using. Anytime you want to power the cam via power port, you will have to use this same value in the formula and I explained to you why you need 5 volts - so that the internal voltage regulator will work properly. Having said that, using 3 cell only give you 3.6 ~ 3.75 volt, not nearly enough for the internal volage regulator to work properly. By rule of thumb, in a properly design electronic circuit, you have to use 4 cell in order to have the 4.80~5.05 volts for the internal voltage regulator to work properly. And why on earth would you use C cell when they are quite a bit more expensive than AA, hard to find and not more capacity that AA's, If you open many of the C cell on the market like I did, there is an AA cell inside the c cell housing. There are plenty of AA's that are rated at 2500 MAh capacity = more than 2 hour (120 minutes) of video on the zi8. If you turn the image stab and F recog off, you will get about 3 hours of video on 2500 MAh. this is a lot more than the 90 minute you need.

BTW, here's the Charger + Battery + Car cord I got for $10 shipped from emaxland - great company to deal with.

Cheers! max

Last edited by maxhuey; Oct 24, 2010 at 2:09 AM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:09 AM   #1234

so one must test that theory and that will bedone, with a simple peice of wire, bypassing one aa cell, to toss this idea out the door, of the supplied port, and not the usb arm. correct?

I thought , well I am running 2000mah a's and am sure i got somehigher one's somewhere, No tsure if you'll get that many minutes but one may never know.

updte:

to that theory, with my zapp it. if you remove a cell, replace with a bypas wire the unit will not show power,

WIth a battery case and three cells, I need to purchase a plug, and that I will not do. I am contented with my set up.

I chose notto purchase a plug and incorrectly wire up, for the world. maybe you can?

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 24, 2010 at 7:10 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:31 PM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashplayhere View Post
Do you have to convert the files first since they're .mov? If so, what program do you use to convert them?

Buddy, once again sorry for the delayed reply.

Here is a youtube video tutorial regarding how to import .mov videos recorded by kodak zi8 into virtualdub which is uploaded by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJAM6FYDis

Here is the link to download .MOV plugin for virtualdub.

http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin

Finally this is the youtube link to using deshaker filter in virtualdub to stablise videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-t5sRJkiFc

With EIS ON in 1080p mode of KODAK ZI8, recording time = 60 min.
with EIS OFF in 1080p mode of KODAK ZI8, recording time = 80 min but you can later process this shaky video in virtualdub using deshaker filter.

Hope this answers your concerns!

Last edited by drramkishorehs; Oct 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM.
drramkishorehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:39 PM   #1236

As I stepped into our local staples vivitar makes a charger pritty slim, most likely a lil thinner than the DE one. this one cost around 30.00 plus, cannot locate on site, or at Vivitar. its a matter of what you realy want foryour Kodak, and how you aregoing to do it?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:21 AM   #1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by drramkishorehs View Post

Buddy, once again sorry for the delayed reply.

Here is a youtube video tutorial regarding how to import .mov videos recorded by kodak zi8 into virtualdub which is uploaded by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJAM6FYDis

Here is the link to download .MOV plugin for virtualdub.

http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin

Finally this is the youtube link to using deshaker filter in virtualdub to stablise videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-t5sRJkiFc

With EIS ON in 1080p mode of KODAK ZI8, recording time = 60 min.
with EIS OFF in 1080p mode of KODAK ZI8, recording time = 80 min but you can later process this shaky video in virtualdub using deshaker filter.

Hope this answers your concerns!

No apology needed. Yeah, I found your tutorials and they were VERY helpful.

The issue I'm having now is, when I "deshake" my .mov file and save it as an .avi file, the ends up being 5.45 GB in size! The video I was experimenting with was only 35 secs long.

Any ideas on how to make the file smaller and maintain HD quality?
Thrashplayhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:30 PM   #1238

Her is some interesting info.

Chrisc74 tested out the playtouch, and I thought I finish up with the Playsport, same concept , ue to the mini usb. And what you may like to nkow, and why the zi8 is hte better:

with the zi8 we can plugin/out the ext power and keep recording. With the Playsport we canno , when we plug in the power it will stp recording, when you have it plugged in and recording you can swap out the battery, and remove the zapp, but onc e you replug its over, that will hold true for the playtouch, as Chrisc only demos Ac, we need for him to demo wit hteh ac on, as I as with it on as well for clearification. otehrwise I am contented. a weekend review of this can be done of all 2 for me lol.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:53 AM   #1239

Got a black Zi8 from Amazon for $129!!!
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:27 PM   #1240

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udMhbkPZnQM

those who had a lil issue wen loading the program that gott hem stuck in arc always opening