Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1251

Default home made steady-cam for on the run video

I made one out of 2.5' striaght pipe (1.5" diameter) with a 5 pound weight at the bottom and 1/4 screw on the top to hold the Zi8. You can run with it and still hold the video quite silky smooth, almost similar to the professional movie full body steady-cam rig. The trick is the 5 lbs weight at the bottom of the pipe with the 2.5' distance to the cam which kept jerky motion to the minimum. Of course you have to hold the pipe at the top end otherwise it would not work. 3' pipe makes it even better but too long for convinience and sometimes it gets in the way.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:53 PM   #1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
Got a black Zi8 from Amazon for $129!!!
I bought mine from NewEgg.com 12/09 for $144. I see today (11/30) they are going for $99.... It would be an awesome stocking stuffer for someone, especially the fact it would fit if you unboxed it, charged it up, etc...
goodoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:46 PM   #1253

Okay...just back from a week at Disney World. I have 147 videos to import but, when I plug the camera in, it says..."no device found". WTF?
Thrashplayhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:10 PM   #1254

you need to go back ten to WDW in the 30 plus weather. that is wat it is telling you.

If your cam was not altered wit downgrading Firmware, ten , watever was your last usb plugin as new taken over, desabled, or currupted. you'll need to go into your drivers. and I tend to 4-get

myputer/control panal/ hardware. and locate USB roots see if you can correct by updating repair or uninstall.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:50 PM   #1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashplayhere View Post
Okay...just back from a week at Disney World. I have 147 videos to import but, when I plug the camera in, it says..."no device found". WTF?
Can you see your videos on the camera. If yes use a card reader for the SD card and make a copy. Now you can work on your camera problem. Like Fish said earlier try to install the driver, or another computer see if it mounts
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:36 PM   #1256

Now that the ZI10 is out, I have TRIED to do a lot of research, reading and watching videos. I can NOT determine if the ZI10 is worth getting over the ZI8. I see amazon.com with all the negative reviews of the ZI10 but GREAT reviews of the ZI8. I already own a $1000 Panasonic 1080P camera so I am not looking for that type of quality. I am looking for something to carry around every day since my BIG HD camera isnt for every day use.. I already own an XACTI 720P camera but was looking for a 1080 camera.. What to do you recommend? ZI8 or ZI10?
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:39 PM   #1257

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...ll-review.html

I have yet to begin. and will do when Next years around Lol keep a eye out.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:28 PM   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...ll-review.html

I have yet to begin. and will do when Next years around Lol keep a eye out.
I read that along with several other videos.. BUT also I looked at amazon.com and the user reviews of the ZI10 and MOST of them are negative but reference how good the ZI8 is.. my delima is the ZI8 is $99 and the ZI10 is $149 but with a 30 coupon off (if they accept it on the sale price).. which one would you get and WHY???
dahauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1259

Review can't be trusted, so is my opinion. but, I have 2 Zi8 now, one just for back up! $99 is cheap insurance...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:47 AM   #1260

the PT is 229.95, now 179.95 the Zi8 159 at Kodak.com Brand new

the Play touch lowest price I found is 189.00 at Amazon its 149.99 + shipping, and tax on item and ship to total a few dollars less for me. This Price comes and goes, shipping if qualified, coupons or not, tere you have to sign up for other stuff to get something for less. A search for:
  • playtouch
  • play touch
  • play>touc
  • zi10
Does one know the correct name for the Kodak Play>touc, b/c on te camera, it is not playtouch?

the zi8 sells for now 99.99 even 89.99 new. You may find better deals when refurbished, recertified, and remanufactured, are offered, and there are no bargains whe nthey are passed for the sameselling price of 79-99.99

The Choice to some is very clear, and to others not. and what makes this hard only, not all will take thetime to do a review, come back online etc.

I am a owner of the zi8, and Play>touch (two words) as well the Playsport, get both, return the one you do not like, at Amazon you have 30 days to decide possably a little longer due to holiday returns.

I Purchased a Sanyo xacti VPC-PD2 for full price, returned for a full refund and shipping within the 30 days , and later to find the cam lower than the sale price I missed out on the day after my purchase, now this cam is less than a 100.00.

By then your mind will be made up.