Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:07 PM   #1291

OT: I am using Win7 an magix 17 Plus, I also own older titles. I find magix 15P will do just fine and 17 as well just fine.

You may need to go into the magix on the tabs file, edit.... WINDOWS. see Screen Settings. maybe you need to lower the full resolution to half.

remember Kodak zi8 is Quicktime.MOV file M-peg 4 compression with AVCHD, more than XX files in full HD1080P may or not crash the program. As I can crash with magix 15P, and as well the Playtouch MP4.

Each pc and program acts different to each User.

I donot like 16 because it was to new to fast and issues with my machine why I went to 17plus

Last edited by fishycomics; Jan 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:13 PM   #1292

When I choose half resolution (fast) and hit ok, this box keeps popping up and says "the stated file does not exist, please correct your entry" I hit OK and the blinking cursor is down in the image editor box. Dont know what to do.
CrashHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:50 AM   #1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHole View Post
When I choose half resolution (fast) and hit ok, this box keeps popping up and says "the stated file does not exist, please correct your entry" I hit OK and the blinking cursor is down in the image editor box. Dont know what to do.

then you got something wrong.

you may want to reload MEP 16 . or reset window in magix just above screen settings.

if codecs are as well not on machine you will get chopiness to.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:25 AM   #1294
Uzi

Has anyone compared the Zi8 picture quality to the new Zx5? I'm still happy with my Zi8, but I could live with a bit better sharpness/detail and low light quality. As I read the Zx5 has a new sensor and auto focus.

Last edited by Uzi; Feb 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM.
Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
Has anyone compared the Zi8 picture quality to the new Zx5? I'm still happy with my Zi8, but I could live with a bit better sharpness/detail and low light quality. As I read the Zx5 has a new sensor and auto focus.
It. Is feb 3 2011, when march 17_23 2011 rolls around. And by then that will be april 1 2011.

No one in public owns the newer models. Only od inhouse and they'll not verbely respond
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1296
Uzi

Ups, thx. I did not notice it was only available for preorder on the kodak site
Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:57 PM   #1297

Nah quite alright we are ancious
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:55 PM   #1298

not sure the expiration:89-90 B&H photo free shipping, and Kmart 90.00 the cam is on sale.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:50 PM   #1299

Default user review

Hi I'm new here - just thought I'd post a user review of the Kodak Zi8 -
I bought this late October/2010 as a factory refurbished unit for $74 shipped - so have now had it for just over 4 months - I wrote this originally as an Amazon.com review and will do some minor editing to bring it up to date:

Really good IF you get a good one....

Both the Kodak Zi8 and Zi6 have had early problems -
like seizing up and over-heating, whiny internal mic recordings -
so there are quite a few re-certified refurbished ones available -
so that's both bad and good news.

Even when buying a Kodak re-certified/refurbished unit -
one can still get a faulty one - I did -
thank goodness I dealt via Amazon with Adorama -
the mark of a good vendor is not just whether they deliver -
but how one is treated when something is wrong -
all I can say is that Adorama were more than sterling.

With that experience I took another chance and bought another refurbished one from Amazon/Adorama -
with my previous experience I was able to thoroughly test this one, and it works just fine.

Now to the Zi8 (being Kodak refurbished it has the latest firmware 1.06) -
the video quality is really good even compared to the already good Zi6 - I can see a marked improvement over the 2 Zi6's I have tried - the videos from the Zi8 look sharper and the colors looks really good - in fact I would go as far to say that the video quality looks as good as from any consumer camcorder I have seen. Of course $700 camcorders will have much more flexibility with more and real optical zoom range better image stabilization - but they cost 6-10x as much and they are not pocketable.

Most reviews will say the digital zoom is pretty poor - I have actually found the digital zoom surprisingly good all the way up to 4x - even with nose-to-monitor scrutiny - I was really surprised at this since I do a lot of photography and the first thing one learns is not to use any digital zoom - I can't explain this but the digital zoom on the Zi8 is good - more than just usable (note: I record at mainly 720p/30fps).

The macro ability is also really good - the depth of field is shallow - so the trick is to set macro make sure the subject is in focus BEFORE starting the recording.

That brings us to the LCD screen - it is high definition and sharp compared to other screens I have seen on the competition - so it is easy to see if the subject is in focus and whether the picture/scene looks good - although like any other LCD screen it will be hard to see in sunlight.

One of the good features of the Zi8 is the ability to connect a stereo external mic - I have a pair of really good portable stereo mic's that I used for live music recording and the sound quality can be very good indeed -
however I have found the internal mic although mono - can actually give pretty decent sound quality - there is a mic level adjustment under settings and the default middle setting seems to work really well - I recorded a big band with vocalist and the sound quality was very good.

EIS (stabilization) does work - but obviously cannot cope with gross movement.
It seems to work better at the normal wide-end, and less so when zoomed - but then when zoomed it is more sensitive to movement anyway.

On my tests I got about 1hr 38mins on a full charge of the battery and at 720p/30fps I ended up with two files one at 2Gb (for 1hr 34mins) and the other at about 86Mb - so there is a limit of 2Gb file-size (due to I think the FAT32 format of the SDHC card) and for me the rate was just over 21Mb/minute.

I have also bought a non-Kodak aftermarket KLIC-7004 battery for the princely sum of $3.58 along with an external charger for $5.00 -
this battery gives slightly lower recording time of just over 1h 15m for a full charge.

Since I got this Zi8 I have occasionally tested the running times for these two batteries and it is pretty consistent the original Kodak battery runs just over 1h 30m and the cheapo one just over 1h 15m -
so just over 80% the capacity at about 19% the cost - I consider the aftermarket battery very cost effective.

It is nice to have an external charger - so that the battery can be charged outside of the Zi8 and the current price of $4.40 shipped it is a good option to have.

Over the tests I have found on average the Zi8 using 720p 30fps uses about 22.5Mb/min - the single file limit is still 2Gb for just over 1h 30m - any additional video beyond the 2Gb is another file.

Although it is a limit - I do not find it too limiting - since I (still) photograph a lot of music - and tend to just use the Zi8 for short clips.

If I did decide to video - the worst case/longest scenario would be a full set - and that is normally 1 hour - so neither the single file size nor battery limit would be hit.

Note on video resolution -
obviously the big selling point of the Zi8 is the ability to record full HD at 1080p - that's 1920x1080 - for me it's overkill -
the 720p looks as good and the lens view is a bit wider and it has the ability to record at 60fps which is better for motion.

But I'd like to point out that there is a WVGA setting which is not just the usual 640x480 - but 848x480 - that's really 480p wide-screen (16:9) format - this is actually really good for videos destined for standard DVDs - since DVD specifications are only 720x480 - so the Kodak Zi8 even on WVGA can produce videos good enough for standard DVDs.

Stills - strictly for emergencies only - the stills at the normal wide end look just acceptable - but if the digital zoom is used then the still look very poor.

Overall I like the Zi8 a lot it's a lot better than I expected in terms of video quality -
that is if one gets a good one......
However since the product is now more mature -
hopefully this is not as uncertain as it may sound.

PS - from what I have read (and I have read a lot) - part of the trick if one gets a faulty unit - is to return for exchange or refund with the vendor - do not use the Kodak warranty service as that can be slow - and possibly unreliable - (since I did buy a Kodak re-certified/refurbished unit previously that was faulty)

I have recently ordered a "Like New" used PlaySport Zx3 for $89 (free shipping) from Amazon (Warehouse Deals) - since I like their policy on quality and returns - and hopefully will return to give my impression of that in the relevant thread.

Hope that helps,

--
Vincent

http://picasaweb.com/UnknownVincent?showall=true
http://UnknownVincent.Shutterfly.com
http://UnknownVT.Shutterfly.com
http://UnknownVT.multiply.com/photos

Last edited by UnknownVT; Mar 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:08 PM   #1300

Hi,

i just got the zi8 since OM was selling them for $70. I got the Sony DS70P mic and I'm getting a lot of hiss. I've got FW 1.06. Is this the norm? I was really hoping to get clean audio, so any advice would be great. also wonder what other external audio solutions people have found and like.

And do you have a link to the RS adapter you got which places the mic in front?

I'm slowly getting through past posts, but would love to hear any cool hacks people are using.

BTW, i'm on a mac and copied over a .mov i had. Not sure what codec it was using, but it didn't show up as a file i could play. What's the trick to copying over files that weren't shot with the zi8 and being able to play them on a tv/lcd?

dot.
Dotman is offline   Reply With Quote