Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:52 PM   #1301

Unsure where you got yours Om mean not a thingto me , sorry. Others may be interested, but holding back is quite alright

The clone Mic, did you plug into your Mac port and sounds good? yes-no?

now if the cam is hissing , do you have sample?

All I can say is each individual varies no one will ever get total silence, that is the truth. There should be just a hint of noise. how much again varies.

Fw 1.01 i pitch, fixed with fw 1.03, fw 1.05 non existant, neverwas, fw 1.06 again does not correct hiss, fw 1.03 did.

it may be possable the model you got may have issues.

the trick to get Non zi8 files on is to use with WINDOWS arcsoft total media impressions, you're on a MAC that is not a mac software.

The Kodak zi is Windows, with mac capatable .mov file. you think its the other way round?

certain files ofother cams can go in. try renaming the file name to the kodaks file name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotman View Post
Hi,

i just got the zi8 since OM was selling them for $70. I got the Sony DS70P mic and I'm getting a lot of hiss. I've got FW 1.06. Is this the norm? I was really hoping to get clean audio, so any advice would be great. also wonder what other external audio solutions people have found and like.

And do you have a link to the RS adapter you got which places the mic in front?

I'm slowly getting through past posts, but would love to hear any cool hacks people are using.

BTW, i'm on a mac and copied over a .mov i had. Not sure what codec it was using, but it didn't show up as a file i could play. What's the trick to copying over files that weren't shot with the zi8 and being able to play them on a tv/lcd?

dot.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:00 AM   #1302

Sorry, happy to share. not sure if the deal is still on. OM = Office Max. it was new. The sony is not a knock off. went out last night and filmed using my mono pod, and with the mic setting at default, (i think i had it cranked the first time), i don't really get a hiss, but intermittent crackling. hope the mic in isn't damaged.

EDIT: i am so stupid. the crackling was wind noise. the wind actually made two distinct different sounds. one, the muffeling one expects, but a tiny crakling, which is completely absent went out of the wind. But you are right, it's never completely silent, but cleaner than the onboard mic. will still test it on my old canon zr10 just to be sure.

I'll try and edit a clip today and upload so you can hear/see. the vid is not oscar material. shot by the lake and around the house.

regarding getting my zi to see .mov files from other sources, I'll have to see what codec is being used in the zi8 produced files. i was assuming h.64. either way, im sure i have a utility to convert files to get them to work. will report back when that happens.

dot.

Last edited by Dotman; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Dotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1303

I almost forgot to ask, so i'll make this a separate post. i've been scouring the web to find if anyone has got the headphone out to work without disabling the lcd or any major internal hacks. no headphone out is such a silly omission. what's the point of the coveted mic in if you can't monitor the audio?

so if you know of a cable/hack that works, please share.

dot.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotman View Post
Sorry, happy to share. not sure if the deal is still on. OM = Office Max. it was new.
Yeah, me too I thought OM was some kind of meditation chant

That's an amazing price -

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku...Id=prod2940305
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1305

yep. i actually just now ordered another for a b-cam or if-one-breaks-cam. can't beat it.

.dot

Last edited by Dotman; Mar 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1306

OMG!

Do not pass that Up that is A steal of a deal. WOW!
Arcsoft tmi is the best source to get any file back into the cam with a WIndows base pc

Yes that wind will cause issues. try some type of wind covering if featers , towel etc.

very sensitive. nothing we can do with it it is far better than the Playtouch trust me. at least yuo can hear yourself.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1307

i've got a pc and i'm also running xp on my mac using vm fusion, so no big deal. if i could get the headphone out to work, that would be sweet. but the default audio settings are ok and you can always boost in post.

what a good cheap bracket i could use to hold both the cam and maybe a boom attached to my monopod? couldn't find something simple at b&h.

dot.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:00 PM   #1308

Use Arcsoft to get all your edited clips in, rename file to kodaks names tht is it. Kodak does not know this and they are fools notto catch on?

As for listening to yourself while recording it can be done, by gettinga wireles sony Mic system they have a Mic and headphone joack. but all is in mono.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:14 AM   #1309

Last edited by maxhuey; Mar 27, 2011 at 3:19 AM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:11 AM   #1310

The deal is over LOL now raised to 10.00 more. glad I did what I wanted to do?

HD mini is a Steal. the correct price finally go figure