Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1321

how did you remove the lens? Is is difficult to do?

dot.
Dotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotman View Post
how did you remove the lens? Is is difficult to do?

dot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ69xv94fVA
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:28 PM   #1323

Default dark video after a 5 plus minutes of recording

Has anyone had the problem of the video getting dark over a long clip? I assume the camera heat's up causing this or something. Is this an ongoing issue with all of the kodak camcorders (I have a z18 and a playsport). Are they really just ment to record in approx 5 minute increments only??

m
mleongphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:00 PM   #1324

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleongphoto View Post
Has anyone had the problem of the video getting dark over a long clip? I assume the camera heat's up causing this or something. Is this an ongoing issue with all of the kodak camcorders (I have a z18 and a playsport). Are they really just ment to record in approx 5 minute increments only??

m
the video will go in and out , never being hard to see. that is normal, that is the ISO auto setting(50-800)

If you are recording and like you said goes totally DARK. then something is totally wrong.

I shoot my video's from a minute to 1 hour in full. I rarely do reviews, vlogging in increments. I keep to a Ten minute record, so if you watched my clips then you know this is not the Norm.

Kodak will say send in for repair, and you may get a refurbbed or same cam not fixed.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:37 PM   #1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleongphoto View Post
Kodak used to have over-heating and even freeze up issues with the Zi8 (and Zi6) - but apparently these had been addressed - possibly with firmware (or hardware) because eventually there were substantially fewer reports.

The first things I did with both my Zi8 and Playsport Zx3 was to record long clips from full charge until the battery ran out - about 1h 45m - and I have done this a number of times, and I have not seen this issue.

However I have had real footage go dark momentarily - but I think this was because I had face detection On.

Face detection has been said by some (including some reviews) is to focus on the face -
but this cannot be so - as both the Zi8 and Zx3 have fixed focus lenses
- it is for exposure setting - to get the best exposure for the face detected -
but if you watch the face detect indicator sometimes it homes in on the wrong thing -
that could then set the wrong exposure.

Although on my momentary dark footage I don't think I saw the face detect indicator on the wrong place - however since switching the face detect Off - I have yet to record any footage that has gone dark.

Digital zoom on the Zi8 past about 1/2 way (~2x) does also make the recording go dark.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1326

Fishy long time no see!.....Hey correct me if I am wrong. maybe I'm seeing things, but isn't the video quality of the Kodak Zi8 better than any of the models that have come out after it, including the Playsport (2nd Gen)?

I think Kodak has done a terrible job with these new models. The Zi8's video (in my eyes) looks absolutely amazing in comparison to these new Kodak Models.

What do you think?
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
Hey correct me if I am wrong. maybe I'm seeing things, but isn't the video quality of the Kodak Zi8 better than any of the models that have come out after it, including the Playsport (2nd Gen)?
I'm not Fishy -
but I'd agree with you -
the Playsport Zx3 (1st gen) does come close -
but the first time I saw footage from the Zi8 I was amazed by the quality from something the size of the Zi8 - it rivaled to my eyes a lot of proper consumer camcorders.

I posted this above in #1317
some footage I have seen -

kodak play touch full review part three
may seems strange to cite fishycomics' review of the newer Kodak PlayTouch Zi10 - but I believe this footage was shot with the Zi8 - fishycomics mentions it at around 3:22-3 watch it in 720p to appreciate how good the actual video is. Sound? using a Sony stereo mic - I'm sure fishy can tell us which, how much and where?

Zi8 handheld skate test
shows how good the EIS actually is and the footage again is very good looking......
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:54 PM   #1328

No questions about it, the ZI8 wins Hands down if you ask me.

You see in the vid, playsportgen 1 sitting there, yousee me pick the mic up, and its attached to the ZI8......

I am more and more leaning to my Zi8. today I do shoot with the Playtouch. each time I use it I hit the dam camera camcorder button. annoying.

The EIS/DIS is awesome on the Playtouch, if it was on the Zi8 I be looking no further.

I tend to forget I have face detect on always making my vids darker and lighter Lol. now I have it OFF, have to remember why it reset On Hmmm.

I do have aton to say but am relaxing on it.

Scorbing, and Unknownvt....

Yes the Zi8 is by far the best cam in the price range to get, and keep with it, the Playtouch if you want to be more Modern,I think no matter what its a win win situation.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:16 PM   #1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
No questions about it, the ZI8 wins Hands down if you ask me.
I am more and more leaning to my Zi8. today I do shoot with the Playtouch.
There you go - many thanks for the resounding confirmation Fishy -

I knew my eyes did not deceive me -
I can only judge by how good a video looks and the Kodak Zi8 and Playsport Zx3 have some of the best looking (to my eyes) videos out there - for an HD pocket camcorder - and like I said better than some much more expensive and bigger consumer grade camcorders......

What was that Sony stereo microphone you were using for the PlayTouch review footage? Where and how much, please?

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:05 PM   #1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
There you go - many thanks for the resounding confirmation Fishy -

I knew my eyes did not deceive me -
I can only judge by how good a video looks and the Kodak Zi8 and Playsport Zx3 have some of the best looking (to my eyes) videos out there - for an HD pocket camcorder - and like I said better than some much more expensive and bigger consumer grade camcorders......

What was that Sony stereo microphone you were using for the PlayTouch review footage? Where and how much, please?

Thanks.
I use a clone mic found today online at Ebay . it is the sony DCM-DS70P sorry if I am off a digit ortwo due to black on black lettering under 5.00 shipped. I as well made a bedford technology, and as well made the clone its own lil mic in ways

The cams are to one's prefrences I own all of the models I talk about. and see one does what the other can or not do.

It is sad to see the Playtouch FAIL in the ext mic department, but picks up in the image stablization department. As well the Playsport in the water , etc etc. I also used a Wireless Sony Wcs-999, now t he Transmitter broke, aI only have the reciever, until I find the other half again lol.