Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:17 PM   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
It is sad to see the Playtouch FAIL in the ext mic department, but picks up in the image stablization department.
Well for Kodak both the new PlayTouch Zi10 and PlaySport Zx5 these are still early days....

Kodak seems to have early teething problems
(some pretty serious like over-heating and seizing up on early Zi8 and Zi6)
- so with Kodaks I think it's best to wait for others to find the problems and for Kodak to address them -
sounds mercenary - but I don't like having to pay a premium new price to be Kodak's beta/field tester.

I much rather wait until I know Kodak has addressed all the known problems and then buy a "Like New" used or refurbished from a vendor with good returns/refund policy (like Amazon) - then test the bejeezus out of them when I get get it - that way not only do I save money I know I got a "good one" that works as it should.

Thanks for the mic info - yeah those counterfeit SONY ECM-DS70P can be found on eBay for mostly less than $5 including an extension cord - despite being fake they seem to work well - especially in the way you were using it in that review - being remote from the camera and closer to the person speaking.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:39 PM   #1332

Are you sure, I differ on that.just me.

As for the Ambrella Chip over heating, that is common on these hybrids. The operationg temp's are between 40-90 degrees to be exact 32-110. reasons why we have failure, especially when humidity plays in there too.

Constant use, and not allowing a Lipo to cool will do exactly what people expeirence over heating.

These cams do get exremly hot to the touch.

I agree with ya about we the guenea pigs, and yes Kodak has heard the people and taken the next step. adding in with missing hardware, and functions, that can easily be corrected firmware and hardware, the next time round.

I am contented wit hte models I own, just cannot afford to repurchase the same cam with left out controls.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:58 PM   #1333

Quote:
Are you sure, I differ on that.just me.
As for the Ambrella Chip over heating, that is common on these hybrids. The operationg temp's are between 40-90 degrees to be exact 32-110. reasons why we have failure, especially when humidity plays in there too.
Constant use, and not allowing a Lipo to cool will do exactly what people expeirence over heating.
Nope I am not sure - and I bow to your better knowledge.

However there have been numerous (early) reports of the Zi8 seizing up - including your own videos on how to reset the Zi8 when that happens (remove the battery). I actually had a Zi6 which would not record past about 11 minutes - it'd freeze up consistently - obviously it went back for a refund - seller was real wriggly about giving me a refund claimed I didn't know what I was doing (gimme a break!) - had to resort to using Amazon's policy/guarantee to get it.

Anyway with both my Zi8 and Playsport Zx3 I tested recording for the full duration of a battery charge ~1h 45m to make sure they could record for that long. I have done this now more than once for each camera - mostly to see how long a battery would last - since I have 3 KLIC-7004 batteries (one each from each camera and a non-Kodak spare) I probably have tested long runs for at least 6 times on each camera - no problems.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:16 PM   #1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Nope I am not sure - and I bow to your better knowledge.

However there have been numerous (early) reports of the Zi8 seizing up - including your own videos on how to reset the Zi8 when that happens (remove the battery). I actually had a Zi6 which would not record past about 11 minutes - it'd freeze up consistently - obviously it went back for a refund - seller was real wriggly about giving me a refund claimed I didn't know what I was doing (gimme a break!) - had to resort to using Amazon's policy/guarantee to get it.

Anyway with both my Zi8 and Playsport Zx3 I tested recording for the full duration of a battery charge ~1h 45m to make sure they could record for that long. I have done this now more than once for each camera - mostly to see how long a battery would last - since I have 3 KLIC-7004 batteries (one each from each camera and a non-Kodak spare) I probably have tested long runs for at least 6 times on each camera - no problems.

These are the sdhc card crashs . especially today on the Playtouch, missing a closing file. now corrected. we at given times will get a glitch here and there.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:26 PM   #1335

Quote:
These are the sdhc card crashs . especially today on the Playtouch, missing a closing file. now corrected. we at given times will get a glitch here and there.
So the over-heating and seizing up were not necessarily related then?

How do these cameras miss closing a file on the SDHC?

Obviously I don't seem to have this problem on the Zx3 (although the Zi8 seized up on me for the very first time last night had it since Oct/2010 - it didn't even record just froze up when I pressed the record button - I had to obviously remove the battery momentarily to reset it - it then would behave -

Of course when I got home I tried to replicate the problem by doing numerous records from just turning on - but obviously could not reproduce it.......

(I think I may have had something similar once on the PlaySport Zx3 - didn't seize up but would not record - if I recall - the Zx3 just turned itself off - but it seemed like the seating of the SDHC.....)

I also seem to have had a few Zi8 recordings that seem to have stopped of their own accord after less than 1 sec (3 times) and just the once at about 15 sec (since Oct/2010) -
the way I notice is when the Zi8 shuts down from the power save time out -
then I realize it had not been recording -
nowadays I always look for the record red dot to confirm I am recording -
but it has still happened once last night with the less than 1 sec and the 15 sec one.

I had always put it down to my own fault like jitter/accidental double/bounce press of the record button - but maybe it is a fault?
(none on the Zx3 - so far, but I've used the Zi8 a lot more)

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:59 PM   #1336

I hear ya.

I get the same at given times. running fw 1.06 and reverted many times. Am sure it is the firmware missing a correct file. Even with Fw 1.06 I rarely today see that a issue for me. can I replicate to. Well harder than easier.

For the Playtouch, I see it more often. and possably the sdhc card, as well the firmware again. I see the PT with open files , going currupted.

I think I rather have .MOV vs MP4 lol why it looks so much better at given times.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:13 PM   #1337

Quote:
I get the same at given times. running fw 1.06 and reverted many times. Am sure it is the firmware missing a correct file. Even with Fw 1.06 I rarely today see that a issue for me. can I replicate to. Well harder than easier.

For the Playtouch, I see it more often. and possably the sdhc card, as well the firmware again. I see the PT with open files , going currupted.

I think I rather have .MOV vs MP4 lol why it looks so much better at given times.
Thanks for the confirmation - so it might not be me.....

Please tell us how you can replicate the problems?

I have the latest firmware on the Zi8 (FW 1.06) and PlaySport Zx3 (FW 1.12)

Can you please tell us why you prefer the .MOV over .MP4 -
I thought internally they were basically the same - just a different container?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:29 PM   #1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Thanks for the confirmation - so it might not be me.....

Please tell us how you can replicate the problems?

I have the latest firmware on the Zi8 (FW 1.06) and PlaySport Zx3 (FW 1.12)

Can you please tell us why you prefer the .MOV over .MP4 -
I thought internally they were basically the same - just a different container?

unless you got diffrent issues

MOV plays in othereditors that is one MOV is a bigger file, and different container, MP$ is compressed, but again I ain't no pro. Like AVI over ASF over wmv.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:34 PM   #1339

Quote:
MOV plays in othereditors that is one MOV is a bigger file, and different container, MP$ is compressed, but again I ain't no pro. Like AVI over ASF over wmv.
hmmmm.... I have found that .MOV editors are rare - in fact when I did web searches for MOV editors - mostly I found posts asking for the same thing and saying they were few and far between - whereas .MP4 editors seemed more common.

Internally the .MOV and .MP4 are supposed to be using the same video formats:
Wikipedia on .MOV (QuickTime) Format -
Quote:
Correlation with MP4

Because both the QuickTime and MP4 container formats can use the same MPEG-4 formats, they are mostly interchangeable in a QuickTime-only environment. MP4, being an international standard, has more support. This is especially true on hardware devices, such as the Sony PSP and various DVD players; on the software side, most DirectShow / Video for Windows codec packs[7][8] include an MP4 parser, but not one for QTFF.
In QuickTime Pro's MPEG-4 Export dialog, an option called "Passthrough" allows a clean export to MP4 without affecting the audio or video streams. One recent discrepancy ushered in by QuickTime 7 is that the QuickTime file format now supports multichannel audio (used, for example, in the high-definition trailers on Apple's site[9]), while QuickTime's support for audio in the MP4 container is limited to stereo.[citation needed] Therefore audio with three or more channels must be re-encoded during MP4 export.[citation needed]
Kodak .MOV camcorders -
Zi8 - video: H.264 (MOV), AAC LC
Zx3 - video: H.264 (MOV), AAC LC

Kodak .MP4 camcorders -
PlayTouch Zi10 - video: MPEG-4, AAC LC
PlaySport Zx5 - video: MPEG-4, AAC-LC
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:27 PM   #1340

remember I tend to forget and not a Pro.

Mpeg-4 has been around over ten plus years. its a compression I may be right or wrong, just going what was on my Mustek dv3000, Dv4500 cam.

Quicktime.mov, and Quicktime.mov.mp4 are updated containers, leaving off the MOV

As I remember.

On editors that I use all do MOV and all other files, sometimes limit the codecs, that are MP4. H264 are tougher to use especially on certain cams, even AVI with H264 codecs.
Let me tell you , since I am offtopic;

the Mustek cams beat the hell out of most cams on the market back then, it given Aiptek the run for their Money Bigtime, and AIptek in time pulled ahead. I am andstill loving my Mustek. and with the 1.5 inch screen its awesome 3 hours battery life.