Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:11 PM   #1341

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Mpeg-4 has been around over ten plus years. its a compression I may be right or wrong, just going what was on my Mustek dv3000, Dv4500 cam.
Quicktime.mov, and Quicktime.mov.mp4 are updated containers, leaving off the MOV
As I remember.
On editors that I use all do MOV and all other files, sometimes limit the codecs, that are MP4. H264 are tougher to use especially on certain cams, even AVI with H264 codecs.
Thank you again for the information -
I have only been at this for about 7 months -
and when I looked for a .MOV editor -
I had heck of a time finding one that would even open a .MOV file -
as have many others who posted asking for a .MOV editor.

A lot of advice was to use Windows Movie Maker -
that definitely does not support .MOV natively -
so one had to do conversions to a format it could handle -
that's exactly what NOT to do -
since that entails re-encoding -
plus it is really time consuming.

Since I don't have the history background on video formats I can only go by what is published out there - using places like Wikipedia - doing a search of .MP4 on Wikipedia - that's where I got the .MP4 and .MOV share the same MPEG-4 internally -

Quote:
History of MP4

MPEG-4 Part 14 is an instance of more general ISO/IEC 14496-12:2004 (MPEG-4 Part 12: ISO base media file format) which is directly based upon QuickTime File Format.[2][3][4][5][6] MPEG-4 Part 14 is essentially identical to the MOV format, but formally specifies support for Initial Object Descriptors (IOD) and other MPEG features.[7] MPEG-4 Part 14 revises and completely replaces Clause 13 of ISO/IEC 14496-1 (MPEG-4 Part 1: Systems), in which the file format for MPEG-4 content was previously specified.[8]
The MPEG-4 file format specification was created on the basis of the QuickTime format specification published in 2001.[9] The MPEG-4 file format, version 1 was published in 2001 as ISO/IEC 14496-1:2001, which is a revision of the MPEG-4 Part 1: Systems specification published in 1999 (ISO/IEC 14496-1:1999).[10][11][12] In 2003, the first version of MP4 file format was revised and replaced by MPEG-4 Part 14: MP4 file format (ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003), commonly named as MPEG-4 file format version 2.[13][14] The MP4 file format was generalized into the ISO Base Media File format ISO/IEC 14496-12:2004, which defines a general structure for time-based media files. It in turn is used as the basis for other file formats in the family (for example MP4, 3GP, Motion JPEG 2000).[2][15][16]
BTW - of the editors I tried - I really like -

AviDemux will open .MOV but with B-frame warnings (I ignore) and does not save back to .MOV - but saving to .MP4 can be done without any encoding so takes about 15 secs to save - great for cutting and trimming.
(forcing a rename of the .MP4 extension to .MOV seems to work for Media Player....)

MPEG StreamClip - strange setup and I had to use an older version - but this again will open .MOV files and save back to .MOV without any encoding again about 15 secs to save. (read my review in the link to see the "problems") Must cut on Key-Frames or the audio will be out of sync.

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 4:57 PM   #1342

I wonder if:

I use win Xp, till the power supply went, and gotten Win7, I cannot do what I did , and vica verca with Win7..... I know you can change the file extention. on Xp by going to view folder and renaming .mov to whatever. and that you can get to edit. I forget if it was to edit etc, etc....

I am sure MP4 is not a DVD format, but AVI is? And for the best quality, today its more like MOV. but hey >MOV is macantosh, AVI is windows.

MP4 today we can get doubl the amount of HD as apposed to lesser quality and older format?

As for Editing, if I show my video's I mostly show in WMVHD1280x720. Works perfect, crisp, clear, and gets the point accross, period.

If I need to show , then I add the file in, raw.

No Site online, except one I know. HDWEBTOWN.com is a quicktime.mov site. imagine youtube and vimeo were that, nope they are FLV, SWF flash base.
reasons why streamline wmv is best suited.

Editing the files imagine you had to do it by hand, I jsut say thank you Magix.com, thank you Pinacal, etc, etc. for taking the guess work out for me.

I can edit, I can render to most formats, and I preferre nott o load MP4's ups Blue skys are blotches. incorrectly displayed, and loss ofquality. in my humble opinion

For the zi8 it does just fine, Sony Vegas is a funny program for the zi8 I just wonder. a missing codec I guess, and I not worry bout it ,I'll use another lol.

IfI madesense great, if I mixed my thoguhts oil well.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:10 PM   #1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I am sure MP4 is not a DVD format, but AVI is?
MP4 and AVI are only containers -
DVD-Video is mostly MPEG-2
and for NTSC (US TV standard) it's only 720x480 max
(I transfer a lot of video clips to DVD to play on my home DVD player - and know that mostly 480p is good enough - 720p and 1080p do not harm but are way overkill for regular DVDs - Blu-Ray of course is a different matter)

DVD-Video @ Wikipedia -
Quote:
Frame size and frame rate

To record moving pictures, DVD-Video uses either MPEG-2 compression at up to 9.8 Mbit/s (9,800 kbit/s) ...

The following formats are allowed for MPEG-2 video:

At 25 frame/s, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 50 Hz image scanning frequency - PAL):
720 576 pixels (same resolution as D-1)
704 576 pixels
352 576 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)

At 29.97, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency - NTSC):
720 480 pixels (same resolution as D-1)
704 480 pixels
352 480 pixels (same as the China Video Disc standard)

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:48 AM   #1344

There you go you know more than you thought

DV-AVI isto be exact, yes HD720Pis by far the best, but reasons to Have HD1080P
Old Apr 23, 2011, 4:38 PM   #1345

Although I bought a Samsung HMX-H300, I still have and use my Zi8. To me, it is the best video camera from Kodak. Its video quality is super.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:31 PM   #1346

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTtCi_vibOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jzSRzQ-G7c

yep it sure is

Auto link is deleted, sue to Youtube controlling the peoples video's for viewing and publicity.

Last edited by fishycomics; Apr 24, 2011 at 5:18 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1347

Default here's one more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtErRoOk-Q8
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:21 AM   #1348

Amazon People 63.00 for a Zi8

Maxxhuey WOW excellent flying and HEli.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:51 AM   #1349

Wow even better price than OM... A friend of mine just bought a Samsung so he gave me his Zi8 so I got 2 now, maybe I can fabricate a jig to hold both Zi8 with lense at a distance of average person's eye to shoot 3D video?

Fish, I did not do the flying, the guy flying has been at it for a while, owns a small local hobby shop, and has 4 choppers in his van. I wish I can afford a video cam that shoot at 1080p/60FPS with optical zoom, could make video of flying almost like the real thing... I think he made a flip in mid-air... too far and too small to see clearly
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1350

Yes why I am not getting another Low budget cam. It is so hard to film one's selfflying. Maybe we can get some specials lol the Champ is a awesome plane. yes two cams for3d 2.5 mm apart. I wantto pick a second up. hesitant though. already got so many. But why would I do 3d no one but myselfwill watch LOL. I preferre HD1080P lol.