Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:12 PM   #1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
You know, other than being just a nice video, and it does it not go out of focus -
this really doesn't show off the Kodak Zi8 video quality.

There are times when being less sophisticated and primitive/simple having a fixed-focus lens is better than an Auto-Focus (AF) when tiny main subjects can cause focus hunting - ie: the video going in and out of focus.

Fishy's kodak play touch full review part three that used a Zi8 shows off the Zi8 video quality much better and more obviously.

Of course for real video quality on flying (w real planes)
look at this one:
Canon VIXIA HF S21 vs. Panasonic HDC-TM700

of course we are now talking about $1k real HD camcorders -
but that Panasonic with slightly fewer features is available for about $408 -
Bargain Panasonic HDC-SD600K 3MOS HD Camcorder
but some people managed to buy it new for $300 in March -
now that was a ridiculous bargain!!!
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:22 PM   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
You know, other than being just a nice video, and it does it not go out of focus -
this really doesn't show off the Kodak Zi8 video quality.

There are times when being less sophisticated and primitive/simple having a fixed-focus lens is better than an Auto-Focus (AF) when tiny main subjects can cause focus hunting - ie: the video going in and out of focus.

Fishy's kodak play touch full review part three that used a Zi8 shows off the Zi8 video quality much better and more obviously.

Of course for real video quality on flying (w real planes)
look at this one:
Canon VIXIA HF S21 vs. Panasonic HDC-TM700

of course we are now talking about $1k real HD camcorders -
but that Panasonic with slightly fewer features is available for about $408 -
Bargain Panasonic HDC-SD600K 3MOS HD Camcorder
but some people managed to buy it new for $300 in March -
now that was a ridiculous bargain!!!

Is that the best those $1000 cameras can do?...LOL...The Zi8's video quality is the same, if not better!!!!!!....LOL

Lots of ground pixelation on that grass for a $1000.00 camera.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:48 PM   #1353

what was that rc plane? Sure was not a champ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPF-iKApos

remember this is the Kodak Playtouch, o its a MP4 format. the one you quoted on was by far foul weather over cast.

How nicely the sky is. As remember flying Solo and capturing a spec is not easy.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:03 PM   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbing View Post
Is that the best those $1000 cameras can do?...LOL...The Zi8's video quality is the same, if not better!!!!!!....LOL
Lots of ground pixelation on that grass for a $1000.00 camera.
Hope you're just joking?.....

Really? - I do like the Zi8 a lot - but I am pretty sure it could not in its wildest dreams film that kind of video - that's the kind of claim that makes others dismiss our praise outright.

The video bitrate of the 1080p version I downloaded is about 3.4 Mbits/sec - the Panasonic HDC-TM700 is supposed to record at 1080p/60fps that has a bitrate of 28Mbits/sec - so that video is less than 1/8 the potential quality - ie: further compressed by 8.23x - that could account for the pixelation - does YouTube further compress videos?
(I could not see the grass pixelation on my downloaded 1080p sample)

Pixelation occurs when the bitrate is too low due to too high a compression,
or for out of focus images due to the video compression (eg: go stand next to a full HDTV during any football game and see that for the out of focus crowd) - yet there is no pixelation for the main subjects/players.
Or due to compression of movement/zooming
(eg: I can see momentary pixelation in the sky on the 1080p sample, when the lenses were zoomed, or the video moved/re-framed)
Also there may be some degradation if the bandwidth is not fast enough to view the video at the full 1080p (that file is nearly 200mb)

The Kodak Zi8 will not suffer from that, mainly because everything is in focus - due to the fixed-focus lens (in focus from 40" to infinity) - but it just cannot zoom to the degree those $1k camcorders - which in turn puts a lot out of focus - the main subjects/planes had no pixelation and stayed in focus - which is amazing considering the much longer focal lengths used and the shallower depth of field)

Sorry, I just cannot agree the the Zi8 could do better -
and I am very enthusiastic about the Zi8 -
I wish - but I know that is a pipe dream -
even if the pipe is stuffed with substances -
would I even dream to make such an exaggerated claim the Zi8 could do better .

Try this one -
Panasonic HDC-SD600 - Test Footage
(that's the stripped down TM700 available at $408 )

Last edited by UnknownVT; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 1:27 AM   #1355

Ok guys, before going to these $1000 cam, which is way beyond my budget, what is the next step just above Zi8 that will give me same video quality but better frame rate? or, should I say give me a smoother video on 1080P.

I went looked at HD video cams in the stores and there are so many of them it really confused me so much I felt like my brain is bleeding. I asked the sale people and they basically just wanted to sell me the most expensive cam my pocket can afford. non of them have any knowledge on what I am talking about...
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:57 AM   #1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
Ok guys, before going to these $1000 cam, which is way beyond my budget, what is the next step just above Zi8 that will give me same video quality but better frame rate? or, should I say give me a smoother video on 1080P.

I went looked at HD video cams in the stores and there are so many of them it really confused me so much I felt like my brain is bleeding. I asked the sale people and they basically just wanted to sell me the most expensive cam my pocket can afford. non of them have any knowledge on what I am talking about...
Offtopic: the Sony TX100V or B Will be the nextstep. its quite expensive if you ask me, but you must take into concideration that Japans MotherNature, while the World is calling it another.

Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post

I posted about the JVC GZ-HM300 a few weeks ago, which is still on sale at newegg.com for $125.00 (refurbished) (original list price was $450). This is a great little camera that will give you 85% of the picture quality and features of those $1000 canon's and sony's. If you check the thread, I have links to my full review and test video that I posted on youtube.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:58 PM   #1358

Thanks for the info. That Sony cam, for what it does is not expensive at under $400 but still out of my budget. JVC on the other hand is out of stock from Newegg (now $114) I checked out your review and others + went to look at it in the store. well, after being spoiled by Zi8 on its overall picture quality, its hard to accept JVC, specially the 1080i and low light grainy video it has. I just might go for another sony bullet cam with 60 FPS in 1080p...

Last edited by maxhuey; May 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1359

Default slow-mo

Few days ago, I saw a clip of test video of the zi8, it was shot in slow motion and it is silky smooth. How did they do that??
Old May 3, 2011, 1:32 AM   #1360

That's a great review! Thanks you!
Fast-Debrid326 is offline   Reply With Quote