Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
There's a nice charger that can charge the KLIC 7004 battery both out of the camera, and via the appropriate cable via USB output as an AC adapter/charger.

I remember you no longer like Amazon -
so here's a listing from eBay
some include a car adapter/cable.

I think the Zx3 charger "cube" is nice and small - using the appropriate USB cable to DC plug would work too - so you probably don't have to buy anything.
I am pretty sure that charger and Battery combi was the one I bought a couple of years ago, free shipping from HK. Charger is good but batteries are low quality. did not last 50 cycles. I also bought after market Cig, Lighter USB, gives a good 5 Volts but not enough to charge battery while recording video. Camera will eventually shut off when battery is depleted. Need to fine something with a bit more charging current.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1452

Kodak battery sells for $35.00. Charger I use from other source items I own no pr lens. Like an iPhone etc
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:13 PM   #1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
but batteries are low quality. did not last 50 cycles. I also bought after market Cig, Lighter USB, gives a good 5 Volts but not enough to charge battery while recording video. Camera will eventually shut off when battery is depleted. Need to fine something with a bit more charging current.
Both Fishy and I have had pretty good mileage out of aftermarket batteries for the Zi8 and Zx3 please see Fishy's thread:
for kd-klic 7004 kodak zi8 batt

As for the cheapo USB car charger - this is dependent on the output current - most are rated 700mA or above - which should be more than adequate to power the camcorder recording - even while charging. For example mine, which was all of 99cents shipped off eBay, actually rated @ 1,000mA (or 1A)

Of course the cable may also affect the performance - some cables use very thin wires so may not be able to deliver the current required - eg: I had some "compatible" microUSB cables that were much slower charging than the original OEM cable for my phone. The "trick" for USB cable is to search/look for the keyword "charge" or "charging". Although the Zx3 uses a standard microUSB - the Zi8 has a different plug.
UnknownVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:02 AM   #1454

These usb dc chargers are great for any typical camera/phone use

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:32 PM   #1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
These us dc chargers are great for any typical camera/phone use
I agree the AC charger supplied with the Kodak Zx3 is actually a gem -
it's just an ac USB charger - so any device including cell phones, tablet computers, MP3 players that charge via USB can be charged (or powered) with the appropriate cable by it:

I've seen this kind of charger for as low as $1 on eBay rated to 1A charge current.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:43 PM   #1456

Using the supplied charger, and cables of the Zi8, also the Zi10/play touch:

Using the wrong cable may lead to problems that may not be reversible.

They are clearly marked and to be used correctly. So using vica - verca, I suggest labeling them, enjoy.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1457

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Using the wrong cable may lead to problems that may not be reversible.
They are clearly marked and to be used correctly. So using vica - verca, I suggest labeling them, enjoy.
Good advice - well worth paying attention to.

However cables for USB (mini- or microUSB plugs) are standard and universal - so they are very unlikely to have the wrong connections - the only thing to watch out for is very cheap cables sometimes use very thin gauged wires so may charge slower than expected. This is really where keeping and using the original/OEM cable per your advice is so much better.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:04 PM   #1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
Good advice - well worth paying attention to.

However cables for USB (mini- or microUSB plugs) are standard and universal - so they are very unlikely to have the wrong connections - the only thing to watch out for is very cheap cables sometimes use very thin gauged wires so may charge slower than expected. This is really where keeping and using the original/OEM cable per your advice is so much better.
Vincent, that you are 1000% correct, 28awg, and poor slot/tab connections, failure with it, we just take the cable mark bad place in a drawer. Sometimes gold plated are over kill.

We learn from the best and having you around to verify from your expertise is 5 stars, thanks for your comment.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:02 AM   #1459

Default key chain cam 909

been out of the loop for a while now since I have been travelling in Asia. Not much news here about east coast, hope you guys are doing great with electricity now. I have not been able to watch much of your youtube posting since internet is quite slow where we are and youtube barely run.

I was in HK yesterday and only saw one store carrying 6 different keychain cam, all claimed to be 1080p AVI format. I asked for 808 but they showed me 909, saying 808 is old technology. But they wanted HK$390 (about $50). Should I buy it?
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:08 AM   #1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
been out of the loop for a while now since I have been travelling in Asia. Not much news here about east coast, hope you guys are doing great with electricity now. I have not been able to watch much of your youtube posting since internet is quite slow where we are and youtube barely run.

I was in HK yesterday and only saw one store carrying 6 different keychain cam, all claimed to be 1080p AVI format. I asked for 808 but they showed me 909, saying 808 is old technology. But they wanted HK$390 (about $50). Should I buy it?
I would love to know more about Key cam 909? even a picture of it?