Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:19 PM   #151

Yes the Aiptek has a flicker setting 50/60 htz, and ntsc/pal. Kodak does not have a flicker setting of 50/60 htz
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:03 AM   #152

hi guys my new kodak zi8 has dead pixels on it and i am having to send it back. does any one have any ideas of a good replacement.
what i am looking for is:

good audio
good video quality
able to record while connected to a power supply
wide angel or as much in the picture as possiable.
HD

i need this camera mainly for doing youtube video blogs and tutorials.

any ideas would be great.

chrisc74
chrisc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:47 AM   #153

ok so i got a replacement for the 3rd zi8 only to find that that has a dead pixel on it. i have 28 days to decide if i want a refund. i am going to need a micrale i think to keep with the zi8. to get 4 bad ones has got to be a record hasnt it.

chrisc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:47 PM   #154

what do you mean by dead pixels ?
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:24 PM   #155

Default Hi everyone!

First time here, very interesting discussion!

Got my Zi8 over a week ago from Target, paid $146 & absolutely love it for what it can do. Just point and shoot and never notice any white lines, blue streaks and others that have been discussed here. OR, is it I simply refused to see them? LOL
Anyway, everyone in the family was absolutely amazed by the HD video too, specially when displayed on my 72" Toshiba. Stills looks very good too considering my other camera is the vintage hp 715 with rubber band holding the battery cover.

Here's my question: I took 45 short 10 second shots of my grandson, but when watching them on HDTV with the HDMI cable, I have to go through them - one at a time. Is there a way to watch them continuously? by that, I meant stitch them together without loosing the HD quality?

Cheers, maxhuey
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:10 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
First time here, very interesting discussion!

Got my Zi8 over a week ago from Target, paid $146 & absolutely love it for what it can do. Just point and shoot and never notice any white lines, blue streaks and others that have been discussed here. OR, is it I simply refused to see them? LOL
Anyway, everyone in the family was absolutely amazed by the HD video too, specially when displayed on my 72" Toshiba. Stills looks very good too considering my other camera is the vintage hp 715 with rubber band holding the battery cover.

Here's my question: I took 45 short 10 second shots of my grandson, but when watching them on HDTV with the HDMI cable, I have to go through them - one at a time. Is there a way to watch them continuously? by that, I meant stitch them together without loosing the HD quality?

Cheers, maxhuey

!st Welcome aboard Maxhuey.

2nd some people are so picky, they will never wind up wit ha single cam, so rather go into such detail of a issue that may not even be there lets move on to betterthings.

You gotthe very basic hybrid, of the Kodak, I am sure Kodak missed out on a good few items. No slideshow, doesn't that byte (sux)
I said it on themain page how a family, or business will hurt, on such a important feature.

With Editing software you make all theclips as one, and using Arcsoft total media extreme or impression, rename to the same file name and you got video of anything you desire abck to the cam, it's calle a PMP player LOL.

again welcome aboard, and to the kodak corner.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:13 PM   #157

Well I don't think people are being picky when they expect an HD image to not have vertical lines The images and videos posted here do prove the problem exists. What I find odd is if it's not *every* Zi8, if say a batch got bad sensors, then why does Kodak think a firmware update will fix it? My guess is that it does affect every Zi8 made, and that you probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it -- probably in 50% of lighting conditions, you wouldn't notice a thing. But when they're visible, hooo boy, they are really annoying.

If there is a firmware fix, the camera is definitely the best of the bunch. I can't go on enough about how incredible 720p/60fps looks on this camera.
jrstinkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:26 PM   #158

dramatic thing from amazon
-few weeks after this cam released it reached 220$ on amazon (it is 180$ on kodak site) maybe because some people saying wow it is wonderful cam !!
-after some people talked about problems like vertical line, shake at the bottom of 1080 video and zoom going to dark in some situations so the price dropped to 140$
- now after some people talked about a new firmware coming from kodak (1.06) the price become 195$ ! even we didn't see or test the firmware they are talking about.

what is happening exactly? i don't know
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 3:37 PM   #159

I hear ya both Amazon , its like a gas war zone LOL.

When I say Picky , i should have said Hih expectations. some will want the highest quality of a
PC low budget economy cam, it's not a Scarlet or red cam whatever you call it.
LOL
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
!st Welcome aboard Maxhuey.

You got the very basic hybrid, of the Kodak, I am sure Kodak missed out on a good few items. No slideshow, doesn't that byte (sux)
I said it on themain page how a family, or business will hurt, on such a important feature.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Let me explain why I am not picking on any "shortcoming" of this cam (I used to do this to death). 1st, I don't shoot video like 95% of the people, my cam stay put, no panning no zooming, no movement - period (unless I really have to). Each shot take no more than about 5~6 seconds and then stitch together. Its the subject that moves, that's all. That alone eliminate a lot of mentioned problem.

2nd, I generally took video of family, not special situation to emphsize any problem so, I don't see them. With the family members gethering in front of the big screen watching, laughing, talking, eating, drinking and partying, no one really go looking for tiny white lines etc., we just enjoy the video as a whole. When my 90 year old parent sees the chubby great grand son started to walk (and in full glory of HD), that was the most precious moment! At $145, this camera did way better than my second generation RCA video camera - with colored view finder - WoW! & dockable recorder bought in 1983 for $2,600! Yep, I learned how to appriciate things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
With Editing software you make all theclips as one, and using Arcsoft total media extreme or impression, rename to the same file name and you got video of anything you desire abck to the cam, it's calle a PMP player LOL.

again welcome aboard, and to the kodak corner.
Ok, you gotta slow down here cause I am not much of a techno guy.
This cam came with Arcsoft Media Impression, but it is not the most forgiving software, took me 3 days and my daughter's puter skill to configure it right for my laptop (hp dv6105). On-line Support is almost useless as it kept looping back to the same starting point - square one.

After S/W installation, I managed to import the files from the cam to the puter, file type is .MOV

Once stitched together with MI, it seems to have lost it's HD quality & when burned into DVD, it just give me SD. I am not sure how to load the file back to the cam as there are no facilities in MI to allow doing that. Should I be using a different editing S/W and if so, which one is the simplest to use (& free?)?

so...what does PMP player stand for (sound like just what I was intending to use this cam for - play HD family video on big screen)
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote