Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:47 PM   #171

Note: You don't have to install the firmware twice, like you did with 1.05. The camera installs it once and then 1.06 is ready to go.

Zooming is now perfect in 1080P and photo mode. No stutter or brightness change at half zoom.

In 720P/60fps mode there is still a noticeable stutter and darkening at half zoom in low light conditions, and the video still seems to have a yellowish tint. No change from 1.05 that I can see.

In 720P/30fps and WVGA modes, there is still a noticeable stutter and darkening at half zoom in low light, but not as bad as before. Another odd result is that if you zoom beyond halfway and then zoom out all the way again, the image gets noticeably brighter than before, as if it is triggering a "night mode." The shutter speed seems a little slower once it brightens up, but not nearly as bad the slow shutter mode built into the Zi6.

I never noticed the blue lines in low light that some people complained about, so I can't comment on how 1.06 fixes that, as Kodak claims.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:47 PM   #172

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23SBfxowHXo
here I made this low level video
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:53 PM   #173

Default no low light improvement with firmware 1.06 as promised :(

I was pleased to read Kodak said that with firmware 1.06 the low light videos improved but I don't see ANY difference.

I made 2 identical videos in 1080p with firmware 1.05 and 1.06.

one frame of the firmware 1.05 video : http://onodot.com/n1yq

one frame of the firmware 1.06 video : http://onodot.com/ycnl

I used jpg compression to save space and loading time but I realize jpg is not lossless but still the frames are comparable !
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:10 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
I was pleased to read Kodak said that with firmware 1.06 the low light videos improved but I don't see ANY difference.

I made 2 identical videos in 1080p with firmware 1.05 and 1.06.

one frame of the firmware 1.05 video : http://onodot.com/n1yq

one frame of the firmware 1.06 video : http://onodot.com/ycnl

I used jpg compression to save space and loading time but I realize jpg is not lossless but still the frames are comparable !
Welcome aboard maicod.

It clearly says Kodak went after the quality for video, and secondary, INTERPOLATED stills of not sure the resolution if 2, or 3 meg. If Kodak really wanted to go after the market, they would have invested in a 5 mb still non-interpolated. other companies of a Pc low budget economy hybrid camcorders are, and been out for a good number of years, 11 years or more, and started out at 1 meg interpolated to 2 meg and up.

Why start again at the drawing board, oh, yeah, we're in HD1080 full P. ((LOL))

so corners must be cut to have a low costing hybrid, they even went and taken out ornever had otherfetures that are of just as important as stills. , self timer, EV setting whitebalance, etc, etc.

Were the older Firmware and cam a issue like others, or were a no issue one?
I have yet to load up the new one, andwill wait for the newer model, andWe hope that the problem will be addressed and resolved.

my only 2 cents left, thanks
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:13 PM   #175

the low light improvement that kodak mention is related to the fine vertical lines problem that happens in low light and more noticeable in 720p mode,thats all.
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:20 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollity View Post
the low light improvement that kodak mention is related to the fine vertical lines problem that happens in low light and more noticeable in 720p mode,thats all.
oh i see. Ive bought my cam for the 1080p mode so ive not been filming alot in 720p and maybe thats why I didnt notice blue vertical lines. I can't see them now (with firmware 1.06) when i'm holding the cam pointed at something darkish so I'm not sure if I had them at all in 1.05 or 1.03
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:21 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Welcome aboard maicod.
thanks fishy !
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:50 PM   #178

Any time aicod.

As with the Kodk Zi8 we will not besure which cam, and where a issuecame about.

I purchased mine at kodak.com ver 1.03 no issue, I have asked others the same .

Wasyours a store bought, online, or Kodak.

I wonder if a lott of defects were given out to resellers
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:02 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Any time aicod.

As with the Kodk Zi8 we will not besure which cam, and where a issuecame about.

I purchased mine at kodak.com ver 1.03 no issue, I have asked others the same .

Wasyours a store bought, online, or Kodak.

I wonder if a lott of defects were given out to resellers
my camera works fine and I don't see vertical blue lines or dead LCD pixels. I bought it from Amazon in the UK
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:48 AM   #180

Today in History of Sports, the New York Yankees, have won anotehr World series, and I thought why not, leave a little earlier, and go capture the moment. I did just that.

I have made a video up to Two years ago - WOW! with the Sanyo Xacti HD 700, and have shown The Low leve, of The South Street Seaport. I headed down the same route, and thought I do it with the Kodak Zi8. I am Amazed of how one Agent said "this is not a night time camcorder", to basically to say that if you do not like the night lense flare, then it's not for you, and just film during the day.
Perfection this is not, It's a Lowbudget pc hybridcamcorder, does its job.

So, I grabbed some footage, a sign, jpeg, a number of video, a few more snapshots. And if I seen it on the screen, I should be able to view at home.

The Hybrid did its job, and there were some shots with minimal lighting, and they will be failures, for sure.

So I headed down a few blocks and filmed a building, the lighting was fantastic, and this flourecent, colored sculpture/building, I snapped theshot, butthe area was way lit, and I thought of zooming in maybe capture the moment as well. Will need to see the outcome, later.

I headed accross, to Park row, of where the Yankee swill start or end up at, and road the parades path,and turned to the Trade Center, and headed on my way.

I felt pritty happy, I had the hybrid Plugged into a mp3 port, on a cord, and filmed, I captured a very bright and clear shot , or shot, and with no headaches.

When I edit and produce the clip, I will still have the happy feeling, that I can trust, to take the Kodak ZI8, wherever I go.

I thought I share the moment, and hope that others who are in a decision to purchase, theZI8 or the next model, be the right choice, it's a afordable cam, that does its Job.

Thank you