Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:31 PM   #181

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbYJk81Ir4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbYJk81Ir4

Aspromised thosewho are interested in the low peoformance of the Kodak here is a excellent fun way I enjoyed mine
I will be updating to firmware 1.06 soon, as I do not have a issue at all, some will some will not see the fine or finece of the cams faults.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:53 PM   #182

Be warned, when you load firmware, you may not go back I thought that was confirmed by a few.

load a new file called system drop drag the fw and wait till the check mark appears hmmmmmm
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:56 PM   #183

Let us know the step how you were able to get back to the downgrade please i am missing that simple step LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdebug View Post
The downgrade is possible, as I had guessed. Thanks fishycomics for the file - did the 1.03 update consist only of the *.fw file? Because the 1.05 update consisted of two files:
  • Zi8_105.fw (seems to be responsible for basic menu system, live preview)
  • Zi8_586.img (probably the software for higher level functions, recording videos)
When selecting the "i" icon in the settings you see two version, first the "firmware" version and second the "software" version. When updating the firmware, the software apparently gets deleted and the camera shows version 000. No video recordings seems possible until software is updated/re-uploaded too.

I've attached a few snaps of the process - I simply used the software version 586 with the firmware version 1.03, so far there don't seem to be any ill effects (the jerky zooming from 1.03 is back, video recording and playback works) but theoretically there could be incompatibility problems when using software-version that were released with different firmware-versions. But all I can really do so far is taking an educated guess .

A quick summary of the Zi8 firmware downgrade process:
  • put the firmware (*.fw file) and software (*.img file) in a folder called "system" on SD-card
  • enter the hidden test-menu by holding "waste bin" and "camera" button while powering on the Zi8
  • scroll all the way down to FW Info and click the joystick to enter
  • you can see various information like current firmware version, statistics, and so on
  • click the joystick again to start flashing firmware, or press the "play" button to return to previous menu
  • wait until the flashing is complete, the camera will power off after that
  • on the next start you will be asked if you want to flash software (if it was deleted by the firmware flashing), confirm this
  • process will take a bit longer than flashing firmware, camera will power off after completion
  • on the next start, check if everything went as expected by entering the settings and selecting the "i" icon
  • you have downgraded successfully if the expected firmware and software version is displayed
This is inofficial and based on my current observations. Naturally you should only try this if you know what you are doing. It's your own responsibility if you use undocumented functions, Kodak will not help you if anything goes wrong .

phil
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:05 PM   #184

fishy, do you mean you don't succeed how to downgrade ? I followed these same instructions yesterday and they worked for me. I tested it by downgrading from 1.05 to 1.03 and later I upgraded to 1.06 to which I stayed
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:14 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
Well I don't think people are being picky when they expect an HD image to not have vertical lines The images and videos posted here do prove the problem exists. What I find odd is if it's not *every* Zi8, if say a batch got bad sensors, then why does Kodak think a firmware update will fix it? My guess is that it does affect every Zi8 made, and that you probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it -- probably in 50% of lighting conditions, you wouldn't notice a thing. But when they're visible, hooo boy, they are really annoying.

If there is a firmware fix, the camera is definitely the best of the bunch. I can't go on enough about how incredible 720p/60fps looks on this camera.
You can hide the problem through calibration and firmware changes, but unless it is normal problem you would probably loss some performance covering it up.

There are different problems, liens caused by bright pixels making columns tends to be a CCD problems, normally cmos is very very resistant to them. These days exposure technology si so advanced that cheap sensors with over 16 stops latitude are available, and one sensor I camera across had 27 stops latitude a few years back. There is little need cheap cameras to not be able to handle bright lights these days, but unfortunately there are still sensors that have problems.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:08 AM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
fishy, do you mean you don't succeed how to downgrade ? I followed these same instructions yesterday and they worked for me. I tested it by downgrading from 1.05 to 1.03 and later I upgraded to 1.06 to which I stayed
something is not correct with the way I am doing it

see if this is correct
1 open a sd card delete ALL.
2 make new folder called system
3 place in fw1.03 bin, b/c that is all there was.
4 go to kodak turn on the resolutions shows up and then that is it.
so i wonder what hapened.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:04 AM   #187

upsetting

that once loaded to a higher level, one cannot go back . Kodak just tried this, and said no it is a foward flash. and then they said we cannottry it it will damage the camcorders

to be misslead is not fun.

I will no longer recomend . to a desposable cam if FW does not revert back.

it may be said firmware can go wrong, nd if des returns are needed to repair store resell, enjoy.

so I am not going to sweat this, I will keep myhead held high and wait for the Zi10

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 7, 2009 at 8:10 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:22 AM   #188

Thank you for contacting Kodak Technical Support.

*****, we regret to inform you that it is not possible to undo the firmware of your Kodak Zi8 pocket video camera. Rest assured that the new firmware is tried and tested working. We also encourage updating of firmware to ensure the optimum performance of the camera. If your video camera has issue with the new firmware, please specify so we can be of further assistance.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:08 PM   #189

If anyone has a link to download the 1.03 or 1.05 firmware, I am willing to try downgrading my Zi8. Kodak only has the latest version (1.06) on their web site.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:25 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
If anyone has a link to download the 1.03 or 1.05 firmware, I am willing to try downgrading my Zi8. Kodak only has the latest version (1.06) on their web site.
to help you I uploaded both firmwares to my server temporarily so these links will fail in a couple of days.

please use the img file from kodak media impression 5.86 from the zip file from 1.06 to restore that after downgrading to 1.03 or 1.05 because it gets erased from the phones memory when flashing a firmware !

1.03:

http://onodot.com/hy6i

1.05:

http://onodot.com/cmzm
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote