Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:00 PM   #201

Default Zi8/ZX1 remote control & playback question

My company sells a lot of Zi6's as part of a golf video system. The Zi6 has great frame-by-frame control on the camera. Unfortunately, it has no remote control.

I briefly tested a Zi8 and was very surprised (and disappointed) that they did away with frame-by-frame control on the camera. Big mistake, in my opinion. Not sure what the thinking was on that front.

I believe the ZX1 has this control on the camera. Can someone confirm?

My question is, does anyone know (or can they test) if it is possible to have frame-by-frame control of the Zi8 via its remote control? Alternately, can anyone confirm that this control is available on the ZX1 via its remote?

Thank you!
Richard Miller
rdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:38 PM   #202

are you asking, taking a still shot per one second incriments? like a time lapse?

The zi8 has absolute basiccontols.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:47 PM   #203

Accessorize your Kodak Zi8

Accesorize with a portabl zappworld.com battery pack,excluding hte plug for the zi8 use the supplied kodaks. 4aa = 6.0vc (1.5vdc per or 4.8vdc per)

Sony clone mic, or modified internals of a sony's mic.

Kd-Klic 7004 5.18wa 3.7vdc 1400 mah aftermarket battery vs 950 mah min 1000 mah kodaks green battery. And Charger with ac and dc adaptors.

Wide angle lens modified to the camcorder.

The world is at your finger tips, and you can even paint the cover with your own name, pic, or protective covers.

No matter what you're after, Accessorize your Kodak Zi8

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:25 PM   #204

Default Frame-by-frame control on Zi8 or zx1

I am talking about playing back a video. On the Zi6, you can use the central jog control to move through the video one frame at a time. You can't do that on the Zi8. I'm not sure about the ZX1.

What I need to find out is whether you can use the Kodak remote for this kind of control on either the ZX1 or the Zi8.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:34 PM   #205

Default frame by frame

The manual says that you can go frame-by-frame on the Zi8. It is just different from the older camera. In pause you press the >> control.

The remote has pause and the >> and << controls, so presumably it can be used for frame-by-frame advance.

I have not personally tried this. Unlike the poster, I read the manual before trying or buying so I know how to use the camera and what it can do. The manual is available on the Kodak web site.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:35 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmiller View Post
I am talking about playing back a video. On the Zi6, you can use the central jog control to move through the video one frame at a time. You can't do that on the Zi8. I'm not sure about the ZX1.

What I need to find out is whether you can use the Kodak remote for this kind of control on either the ZX1 or the Zi8.
when my zi8 is in play mode and a video is paused I CAN advance frame by frame with the red joystick pressed to the right (and backwards one frame with the joystick pressed to the left)

I dont have a remote control for the zi8 (but there is one for sale at kodaks site) so I can't test for you if the same frame advancing as described above can be done with the remote control
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:39 PM   #207

does the >> control, in pause, also work to advance frame by frame in replay mode, as the manual says? this is key for Miller, because if it does then it is likely the remote control can also be used for frame advance, as it has the >> control also (but not the stick).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:45 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
does the >> control, in pause, also work to advance frame by frame in replay mode, as the manual says? this is key for Miller, because if it does then it is likely the remote control can also be used for frame advance, as it has the >> control also (but not the stick).
the cam only got 4 silver keys and a joystick which can go 4 directions and can be pressed-in so I dont know what button you are meaning ?

the silver keys are : settings/wastebin/record mode/play mode
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:52 PM   #209

You are correct - I interpreted the manual as saying the >> is a key because it actually says "Press >>/<<" - but evidently it is just an indication of the direction for the joystick to point (same thing).

The remote has an actual key with this >> designation.

Anyway, from the manual and from the actual experience, the Zi8 does frame-by-frame advance and it is likely that can be done with the remote.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:52 PM   #210

As I mentioned earlier, I bought the Zi8 and tested it for frame-by-frame control, but I was unable to get it to work. What happens is that it APPEARS to move ahead by a frame (when in pause mode and joystick is pressed to the right), but actually moves about 10 frames (unlike the Zi6). One might not notice this unless the video being replayed involves very fast motion... like swinging a club. Could someone test this again? Even a quick wave of the hand in front of the camera will do the trick. Can you then advance the video just one frame by clicking right... then one more frame with another press... and so forth?