Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:07 PM   #231

Default Now compare Kodak Zi8 and Panasonic Lumix GH1 with Leica 50mm f1.4 lens!

Same shots as before: 1. is Aiptek, 2. is Kodak 3. is Panasonic/Leica.

The Pansonic Lumix GH1 is paired with an f1.4 Leica Summilux lens, wide open. All shot at 720p, 30fps, except the Panasonic/Leica defaults to 60fps. Rendered to same bitrate and 30fps.

Notice the 50mm (35mm-equivalent) Leica lens has the same field of view as the Aiptek and Kodak - these were all taken at the same exact distance from the wall, which is only illuminated by two bulbs.

Notice also that the Panasonic/Leica combination, which is about as good as you can do for low-light without going full-frame sensor, and costs about $2000, does not do much better (if any better) than the Kodak Zi8.

This is not to say that the GH1 is not worth it (you get interchangeable lenses and all sorts of manual controls, control of depth of field, etc. ) and much better stills.

But you do *not* get manual audio control, unlike on the Kodak Zi8!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bgWvK2jKng&fmt=22
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:54 PM   #232

While Observing the Camcorder in thefirmwares. When filming becareful notto brush against the other buttons, Settings, camcorder or playback, trash key will be the only corect working key. All the mentioned will Stop your video, in ALL FIRMWARES.

this is a issue and will the focus team here us?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:59 PM   #233

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHImpyx2xHY

One of the best reviews ever you gotta see this
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:18 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHImpyx2xHY

One of the best reviews ever you gotta see this
is it ? but its funny. its quite explicit for an american show IMHO they talk nonsense about the Zi8 not having a nice video quality. Its very nice 1080p for such a cheap cam !
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 2:49 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
is it ? but its funny. its quite explicit for an american show IMHO they talk nonsense about the Zi8 not having a nice video quality. Its very nice 1080p for such a cheap cam !
three cams and Monday they continue. probablythat they could not get kodak to answer them they Mocked ( made fun of) them.

they acted like fools and could have at least done a betterj ob putting it down.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 4:45 AM   #236

Back again, having just bought a Zi8 for further testing. I KNEW there was a reason we had to sell the last Zi8 I bought... and this is it.

Yes, it does do frame-by-frame playback. But unlike the Zi6, when you HOLD DOWN the jog button to advance frames forward CONTINUOUSLY, it pauses for a second or two, then jumps ahead 10-20 frames. There is no way to have it continously advance on a frame-by-frame basis without pressing the jog button again and again. This is NOT how the Zi6 operates, and not the way any decent camera/camcorder should. It makes the camera useless for the purpose of actually studying slow motion... like a golf swing, which is our business. It's not practical to press the jog button over and over again, many dozens of times, just to review one swing (which could easily have 75-100 frames in it).

Why the engineers changed the design of this from the Zi6, I'll never know, but it renders the entire camera useless for analysis of any sports motion.

So the Zi8 gets returned.

My question to this group now is whether the ZX1 has the same playback functionality as the Zi6... or does it operate like the Zi8? I have preferred the Zi6 over the ZX1 from the very limited testing we did of the ZX1 in the beginning. However, the ZX1 can use the remote control, which the Zi6 cannot. That has become a huge advantage for us.

Assuming the ZX1 does offer continuous frame-by-frame replay just by HOLDING the button to the right (not constantly pressing it), will the remote control offer this as well? Is there anyone here who can test this for me before we make this purchase? That would be really appreciated.

On a related question... since this forum seems very active and professional... is there any camcorder or camera available which offers at least 60 fps video AND can be operated with a remote control AND costs less than $300 AND has decent quality AND offers frame-by-frame playback?

We recently tested an Aiptek. Horrible. Offered no frame-by-frame playback.

We've stumbled onto a camera called the Samsonic HD22. This seems to fit the bill, but we can't find any reviews and are not sure it does frame-by-frame playback. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also found this camera, which seems to fit the bill but is at the high end of our budget for an inexpensive golf swing analysis system: Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD1010

Thanks for feedback.
Richard Miller
rdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:39 PM   #237

If you want slow motion playback on the Zi8, press the play button (the rightmost one) while playing a video, and you get a choice of 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16th speed. Does this not meet your criteria for "automatic frame-by-frame playback"? With 30 fps video, 1/16 speed mode would step through the video at 1.875 frames per second, or with 60 fps video, at 3.75 frames per second.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:39 PM   #238

theKodak zi8 is limited o what you're asking more of. the samsung Hmx u10 has slow mo and will do slo mot in playback, and fame by frame. but no hybrid will offer, single frame advance automatically in playback.
a video has 30-60fps for regular speed. I wonder if the Hd1010 of Sanyowill offer you what you want . 300fps in playback will be exactly that wait for RGVcam and ask him about the camera, he owns one. if not mistaken, and in the post there thanks.

Sorry that this basic cam did notfit your needs.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:49 PM   #239

I have had a number ofthoughts, and wnted to post, but the past few days Stevesforums had downtime, that was not posted or told about. so hopefully , lets move on.

1 sdhc card 4 gig almost immdediate record, 16gig 8 secs record, I keep to a smallersize, may be just me, but that is what I noticed on my class 4's formatted, and filled.

2. Zapp recharge it all battery system 4aa only 1hr 42:15 , with kodak and 4aa 2 hr 35 min;10, and a additional full charger a great device if one needs more then a hours time.

3 while recording do not press the other buttons, setting camcorder, or playback, they will stop the video, trash does nothing.
pressing setting will as well get you back to live feed.

4 wondering if the protective glass of the lense causes the flare in night time. removing will expose more the sensor glass lense, but will theflare stop? Will a filter fix this issue, and what type offilter. a moon filter?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:55 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
If you want slow motion playback on the Zi8, press the play button (the rightmost one) while playing a video, and you get a choice of 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16th speed. Does this not meet your criteria for "automatic frame-by-frame playback"? With 30 fps video, 1/16 speed mode would step through the video at 1.875 frames per second, or with 60 fps video, at 3.75 frames per second.
vwest... I hear ya. I think I tried that, and again it works for me.

1/16th I wonder if that is one frame per second of 60 or 30? does notbother me

The answer will be, it's CHOPPY.