Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:30 PM   #261

I thought you were commenting on RCA footage. I shudder to think if I have to wait till next year to find out about new Kodak camera, and then wait months (6 months) before it comes to Australia and for newer camera to be released Lol (sounds like the last 5-6 years). If I know now that it will not have 1080p60/50 or 8-12mp sensor, and if the zi8 is 5mp, then I can buy with confidence. Better check ccinfo again to see if they have review with resolution chart .
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:28 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
I thought you were commenting on RCA footage. I shudder to think if I have to wait till next year to find out about new Kodak camera, and then wait months (6 months) before it comes to Australia and for newer camera to be released Lol (sounds like the last 5-6 years). If I know now that it will not have 1080p60/50 or 8-12mp sensor, and if the zi8 is 5mp, then I can buy with confidence. Better check ccinfo again to see if they have review with resolution chart .
I think we can see some morecams , very soon, butthe sales are starting not the best time to release, or is it. I bet they'll (Kodak will wait for the returns to start of christmas shopping
possably your summer, but yes your winter wil see the new bees
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:13 PM   #263

Default Zi8 sensor specs

Wayne12
I have been trying to get specific information from Kodak on the Zi8 sensor for the last 3 weeks. Here's What I know:

The published sensor specs for the Zi8 are: 1/2.5 type 5 MP CMOS sensor. The test menu in the Zi8 says the sensor is an MT9M002 sensor which is the same sensor listed in the test menu in my Zi6. The published specs for the Zi6 sensor is 1/4.5 type 1.6 MP CMOS.

The MT9M002 sensor was manufactured by Micron (now a part of Aptina).
The published specs on the MT9M002 at the Micron/Aptina website states it is a 1/4.5 type 1.6 MP CMOS sensor. Check it out by Googling MT9M002.

The firmware can change the performance of the sensor, but it can't change the physical size.

I have been trying to get an answer from Kodak for the last 3 weeks and all I have gotten is "someone will be calling you back regarding this matter." I have been told this 3 times.....Kodak is 0 for 3 on callbacks.
I do, however, get apologies "for your inconvenience" emails. I sent an email to Dawn Starwald of Kodak's Customer Relations giving them until the end of next week to get me an answer to the conflicting information or I will be turning my findings over to my state's Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs for misrepresentation of the Zi8's sensor and perhaps other specs which are not so easily determined by the consumer.
Guess we'll see what happens next.
Notafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:16 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post

I video fram one ofeach within thesame time, and one had a spec of lint, bug etc, not theissue. The Observation:

the Grass to left is less, and the grass to right is more and cam is at the same spot so It is a challange to get clearity every single time one films. I thought I pointthis interesting fact outto you, 50% crop ofeach to save space here.

One side is overexposed and yellow (see the clouds). I just have been viewing vimeo processed page, and same thing happens, peoples faces become burned out with over exposure, I think the zi6 does a better job, color si good and entire face good.

http://www.vimeo.com/6375054

If you can adjust exposure to tone this down like the left, would be much better. I also notice in another page (and surprise surprise you are commenting on that one) of dark day, and clouds/light seem to bleed out. If only they could adjust firmware for daytime to tone this down a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pwPv...ayer_embedded#
http://www.vimeo.com/6375054
http://patryk.tv/?p=143
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:27 PM   #265

Notafrog, thanks for this.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:11 AM   #266

Default I don't understand the Zi8's map and file naming. who does ?

I've been scratching my head for a while about how the Zi8 chooses its folder and file names. I don't see anything logical in it so far. Does someone know how the Zi8 decides when to start a new folder and why it doesn't number it logically (so it seems at least) ?

as an example here's my map names that my Zi8 created between half october and half november (now):
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:57 AM   #267

One of thet tests we do is a sequntial test., and this is by far not sequential.

So the software anylist who wrote this program, must have had the weidest brainfart.

No reset. the cam just tosses random older, and decides when it reachs XX files, to create a new one,

It even changes by theday as well. so there is a theory behind this blunder. and its to idiotic for me to get into
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:24 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
The published sensor specs for the Zi8 are: 1/2.5 type 5 MP CMOS sensor. The test menu in the Zi8 says the sensor is an MT9M002 sensor which is the same sensor listed in the test menu in my Zi6. The published specs for the Zi6 sensor is 1/4.5 type 1.6 MP CMOS.
Unless the Zi8's 1080P video is interpolated, the sensor has to be more than 1.6 megapixels.

WVGA (848x480) is 0.41 megapixels
720P (1280x720) is 0.92 megapixels
1080P (1920x1080) is 2.07 megapixels

1440x1080, as used on other cameras, is 1.56 megapixels.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:01 AM   #269

I have again filmed, and can say:
Battery Power consumption is not best, will consume more power then other cams, Its deffently in the best interest to get a larger capacity, and spare.

4 videos about 7 stills, another 4 videos,all under a minute with increment zoom in/out, 2 2 minute plus videos, and 2 more videos.
a total of twelve videos adding under 10 minutes will show wear of battery level., while on the main page, and youtube one claimes 1 hr 30 minute, and many video and stills, I beg to differ wit h just a new battery running one test. while we're into 2 months of constant use.

DO you go by a new battery, or constant use as one brings the real use of the cam to the table.

thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:28 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog

"Unless the Zi8's 1080P video is interpolated, the sensor has to be more than 1.6 megapixels.

WVGA (848x480) is 0.41 megapixels
720P (1280x720) is 0.92 megapixels
1080P (1920x1080) is 2.07 megapixels

1440x1080, as used on other cameras, is 1.56 megapixels."

And, it would be incredible that they interpolate a 5 megapixel still picture from a 1.6 megapixel sensor (they do say the 5-megapixel jpg is interpolated). Note that the zi6 has a lower-megapixel jpg than the zi8, presumably because the zi6 has a smaller sensor.

This concern about Kodak lying about sensor size is ludicrous.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote