Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:29 AM   #21

Had a look at a few of the stills from the review. Pretty nice latitude, blue lens flare for bright sky through trees, edge enhancement (thick overhead cable) blotchy grass from high compression. Despite this, overall, nice digital for a low end hybrid consumer camera. I will say one thing, that you can get rid of lens flare, maybe even with a super program get rid of sharpening, but you can't really get back detail lost from low latitude, that looks better.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:44 AM   #22

Red traffic light in the distance, would need a closeup to confirm, but washed out. If this is so, I have seen it on a number of cameras.

Forgot to mention, seems to be some mild wash, but that's not really a problem.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:12 PM   #23

i can't decide between Aiptek GVS and Zi8.
GVS has zoom which is nice... and the twistable lcd is nice for some applications i need it for.. (putting on the ground to record sports... nice to be able to see the lcd to know where the cam is pointing)
but the form factor of the zI8 also makes it
easier to shoot some situations where people "freeze up" when they see a
video cam... not as much with an iPhone lookalike.

i just tried out the GVS... never tried the zi8, but i can get it for 138 so i am intrigued.

help me pick! thanks
falseguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseguardian View Post
GVS has zoom which is nice... and the twistable lcd is nice for some applications i need it for.. (putting on the ground to record sports... nice to be able to see the lcd to know where the cam is pointing)

i just tried out the GVS... never tried the zi8, but i can get it for 138 so i am intrigued.

help me pick! thanks
Welcome Aboard Falseguardian.

the Zi8 flat design is alrightfor shooting video 90 degrees period. if you are going to do a over head angle shot. like a cast news person in a croud, you will never get the shot. there is absolutel no way of seeing the screen.

The GVs you can grab ALL angles. no question about it.

If you are looking formanual controls theKodak isFullyAutomatic, only the stabilization, face detect, and mic are the ones you have nothing more

The GVS has EV, White balance, nightshot, auto focus lock

If you are after a group shot and stills the GVS , 5 mb and a selftime, flash. the Zi8 does not have any selftimer, or flash

If you're looking to sit down the group and do a slideshow theGVSis the better while the ZI8 has NONE.

I can go on and on, trust me, you may wish to view the above posters review, that will only give you an idea, but in here you'll get a real persons opinion.

I own both, I am asa Noob really impressed, and asa previousowner of most, thumbs up.

I have my ups and downs, and have not concluded my review.

Hd1080P kodak has a very strong hold, and software to edit becomes more and more dificult with new and newer cams.. theGVS is by far the better choice in ways, but you must, decide.

Any questions please ask, thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Maybe most of this. It is usually best to ask for tech support, or the tech section. Support people can have little training. My Internet service provider is very much like that, support people following scripts rather then reading and addressing the question/problem, just find a script that may match and cut, and paste.
Supposedly it was tech support who they passed me onto. I think I may just email them directly to find out.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by parocks View Post
From http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...i8-review.html

Kodak Zi8 Features:
  • 5MP, 1/2.5-inch CMOS imaging sensor
On Kodaks own site specifications it lists the following:

Sensor type 1 / 4.5–type 1.6 MP CMOS

It also says:

Still (5.3 MP, 16:9 widescreen, interpolated)

Which would mean that it cannot be a full 5MP sensor if it's interpolating.

But I am thinking that they screwed up their webpage since the specs inside their manual do list a 5MP sensor.

At least I really hope it's that way around!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseguardian View Post

help me pick! thanks
I think fishycomics has pretty much covered it but it depends on what your main use it. If it's just to video friends up close like you would with a camera phone then the Zi8 will work.

The GVS is far more versatile and you'd be surprised at how easy it is to video people even with this camcorder. I have videoed people and they didn't realize I was videoing. It may be because most people are still expecting a traditional camcorder shape being pointed at them and in anycase I think a lot of people these days tend to assume that anything looking like a phone pointed at them is probably videoing as well.

I would make a list of features you need followed by those that would be nice to have and see which one has the longest list. That will be your camera provided the video is to your liking as well of course.

If I didn't have my GVS, I would most likely still buy my GVS over the Kodak but again my needs may be different than yours.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Supposedly it was tech support who they passed me onto. I think I may just email them directly to find out.
Kodak technical support is located in the Phillipenes, they wil lrepeat your inquerry, and will do their best to help out. i am sure they will find that answer one day.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:15 PM   #29

If the Kodak has the jello effect, or called Rolling shutter i would vear to Aiptek action Hd GVS the GVS has two 60fps settings 858x480, and 1280x720,.

The sound of the Kodak is bassy, the GVS is not. the Kodak again can be raised up only on live feed, meaning before you film. any wind will Muffle .

Hd1080P extremely hard on editing and rendering on slower pcs, but 720p is better, and can live with that if needed hd1080p in intervals, Aiptek not any issue.

I like RGVCAM should make a list but I always recollect pritty well. I tend to forget

kodaks back screen is prone to breaking due to no cover the gvs is prone to a singledrop the mouse and autofocus
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:41 PM   #30

I am Confirming the Kodak ZI8 stabilization is a EIS, and is not as acurate like the Aiptek Action HD GVS.

I am Rendering a Movie while it has a newer codec or issue to my player etc. so I must reformat to a wmvhd file, better for slower speed users to see anyway, with the same proformance.

TheKodak ZI8 has a Rollingshutter Bigtime with the Stabilization on, on a Tv playback on the camera and tv set. As Quicktime is a better player, Windows media player, and Total media extreme seem to suffer. funny how it's now the opposite the Action HDGVS suffers with Quicktime. just my observation.

I as well found out that I may have had a Pixal, I no longersee it on my video as I keptsaying this Am hour. now I wonder if dirt got on, that pin hole LOL treuly it'sa small lense. I cleaned it, and have a RMA in if needed for a exchange.
I just recieved my Sony ext mic. If I can Modify the angle of the plug, or better yet a adapter ofa 90 degree, then i am set Wished the plug was on top now for ext mic. If the plug adapter I find fits, this aswell leads for a modification with led lights attached as one
A the mic will now act as a holder and light fits on top and Mic correctly angles to the surrounding area.

My Continued Observation is needed.

Night time: totally Amazed, because somethingcaught my eye, stopped and had to film, and what i seen was good ole memory stuff, that really made me happy , I " Hada camcorder with me", I said had a CAMCORDER. If I did not have one, I would had to wait the next time. a few things I seen, and rather fumble through controls, worry bout what setting I am in, it's more a pull out of the pocket and have fun. When setting up for self filming. that is the challenge, a make up mirror is needed lol. Samsung has the dual lcd, oneday theuy will embed on these. YourCellphone has dual, why not the hybrids.

I mentioned I had theidea. of a swival or fix for Kodak.

IF Kodak had lowered the screen and placed a center swival joint, with a locking tab the top hal could have turned 180 degrees giving you your self filming. the DOD f 00hd went with a single click angle for more comfort.

Kodak left the cam like a cell, and should have had a more of a grip cut out, I am sure a neopreme cover will fix that. The Kodak can deffently usea waterproof housing TheKodak has a lot to offer, Just notwit the Rolling shutter. I thought I saw a aligator move the manhole cover LOL that is how bad at times it looked when stabilization was used.

contnueing on with my Observations