Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:51 AM   #301
Senior Member
 
Wayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
The Sanyo Xacti series, the HD700 has the Hot keys, and simple, auto, full auto mode.
He, he, I am pretty sure I wrote about something simular in Sanyo threads years ago, and other things many times, how come you think their cameras are the best hybrids (a number of these things are also suitable for a $200 camera too) . Shame for Kodak that they can't buy Sanyo. The only innovation this time, was some change to the mid mode to Simple advanced mode concept, but I can't remember exactly what sort of enhancement and new balance.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:52 AM   #302
Senior Member
 
Wayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,071
Default

Guys, I forgot to mention, since you updated your firmware, what sensor does it say now? I also forgot to mention, that sensor model. have you checked if another company has a sensor with the same model number?

Does anybody have a short of the top test menu, I am interested in what options it has?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:12 AM   #303
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Kodak or Aiptek, the Aiptek you can load incorrect firmware, and will or not work, one can getcurrupted, rendering it dead.

On the GVsModel you can go into the Engineers and factory setting, once you touch it. the camera will not act the same. SOme claimed it was better then ever, some claimed it never was better. the problem will be it defaults back to the origan where made.

SO Yes we should be able to go into not the firmware, but a section that allows us to set up different parts. and that is where this cam is now a fully autamatic cam. No more whitebalance, EV setting, its's all of the AI's decision.

It wil make, or Break the people woh are interested. but remember 1% only know of Steves, the other percent do not bother about the importance,and that is where they wonder why tehy're happy or not.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:42 AM   #304
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 11
Default The saga continues

Chrisc 74 and Wayne12,
Learned how to access the Service Menu on my Zi6 from a Help Desk Tech. I tried it with the Zi8 and BINGO! This is a very common procedure with many electronic devices to go into a diagnostic menu.
Chris, with all due respect, you voided your warranty when you attempted to make operational changes. This invoked the "Unauthorized repair" section of the Kodak warranty. I maintain that simple access of the Service Menu, without making changes, will not invalidate the warranty, and any competant attorney could successfully argue that point. It also seems to me, after dealing numerous times with the Help Desk Techs that is simply easier to tell people that they will void the warranty if they even access the menu. It would also seem a great way of intimidating people not to check their cameras for information inconsistancies as I have found. Finally, check your State's (or county's) Warranty Application Laws. Many times you have rights extending beyond the company's published warranty.

Wayne12. There was no change in the sensor description after downloading 1.06 fw.
Notafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:02 PM   #305
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Chrisc 74 and Wayne12,
Learned how to access the Service Menu on my Zi6 from a Help Desk Tech. I tried it with the Zi8 and BINGO! This is a very common procedure with many electronic devices to go into a diagnostic menu.
Chris, with all due respect, you voided your warranty when you attempted to make operational changes. This invoked the "Unauthorized repair" section of the Kodak warranty. I maintain that simple access of the Service Menu, without making changes, will not invalidate the warranty, and any competant attorney could successfully argue that point. It also seems to me, after dealing numerous times with the Help Desk Techs that is simply easier to tell people that they will void the warranty if they even access the menu. It would also seem a great way of intimidating people not to check their cameras for information inconsistancies as I have found. Finally, check your State's (or county's) Warranty Application Laws. Many times you have rights extending beyond the company's published warranty.

Wayne12. There was no change in the sensor description after downloading 1.06 fw.
You can loo, correct, but do not change the intial set up. ifyou do you're just opening a can of worms, . you may interpret that in many ways good or bad
head the warning do not tamper beyond the firmwares interior. you are responsblefor your actions, nothing more.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:36 PM   #306
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Maicod,

On the Kodaks batt. Iam sure the USA version said 3.7 vdc, 950 min, 1000mah and no rating of power output 5. rh.

The aftermarket I have is 1400 mah 5.18rh silver
I agree heiver, fatter larger will not fitto the kodaks compartment, so something Fishy.

As long as I got the 55 min run time, I am sure i wil lget the maximum run time required as I confirmed 2.0 hours on the kodak, and both in HD ran equil times, except my last test, with alll settings at minimum.
why would they release a European and an USA version of the Zi8's batteries ? mine says 3.6 volts/3.4 Wh/<1000 mAh/min. 940mAh
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:43 PM   #307
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
why would they release a European and an USA version of the Zi8's batteries ? mine says 3.6 volts/3.4 Wh/<1000 mAh/min. 940mAh
I am thinking, that thye use a few companies to make their batterries.

Dam the battery is in the cam and running y tet. so I cannot confirm the 3.7vdc 950 min 1000 mah, and no rh rating

Like I said I know mine said 950 min so there may be differences here lets wait a hour andsee. ifthe test runs that long
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:44 PM   #308
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 11
Default

Hi Fishy, I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I offered the warning not to make any changes with out the explicite instructions from Kodak. Regarding accesssing the Service Menu voiding the warranty, I ran the issue past an attorney friend of mine and he likened to a new car with a window sticker stating it has a V8 engine. You "pop" the hood to verify the info and you see that it in fact has an inline 6. You don't tamper with it or make any material changes you merely observe the fact that it is not a V8 would not void the warranty. I realize that his is just an opinion and ultimately a court would have the final decision as to the voiding of a warranty, but common sense says that you should be able to "pop" the hood without
voiding your coverage.
Notafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:44 PM   #309
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Ohh, great, after an hour of trying to get it to load (quick reply errored during load), giving up and rewriting it, finally my post worked. Well I'll scrap that one here is the new one:
in the board called "A Word from Steve's" a sticky post says:

"Steve's Digicams recently experienced intermittent website outages caused by a cyber attack. Our troubleshooting team has resolved the issue, and the site should now be functioning normally. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and apologize for the inconvenience caused by this attack"

I however doubt that thats all there is about the sites slowness and sometimes unresponsiveness as this is still going on every day from time to time. I'm thinking the site runs on servers that are topping on their capacity.
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:06 PM   #310
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Hi Fishy, I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I offered the warning not to make any changes with out the explicite instructions from Kodak. Regarding accesssing the Service Menu voiding the warranty, I ran the issue past an attorney friend of mine and he likened to a new car with a window sticker stating it has a V8 engine. You "pop" the hood to verify the info and you see that it in fact has an inline 6. You don't tamper with it or make any material changes you merely observe the fact that it is not a V8 would not void the warranty. I realize that his is just an opinion and ultimately a court would have the final decision as to the voiding of a warranty, but common sense says that you should be able to "pop" the hood without
voiding your coverage.

accidents do happen, and it's a decision one must be made, the worst that can happen would be no.

so many phrases., rather get into a debate. and we're smiling

I learned to not tamper, unless it is broken.. we tend to learn from our mistakes. enjoy
.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.