Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:15 PM   #331

whew one scared me for a scond. thought you had the Dealextreme one WOW!

till a test can be proven....

a sdcard your card is a A-Data what size?

have you othercams, or devices that allow youto read thecard, and that the mac can delete through.

1 delete all info on card., and format on your computer, do not do it one time only you have to do a few times. if I said 5 then it me that. then try on thekodak a few ttiems.

2 if you have any other device to format another cam, another person s....

then retry in your kodak.

possable A-Data is not the brand or you got a hidden file, currupted sd card..

last resort load enough info to card that is not of the cam to the card to fill it up to a limit and then try recording
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:28 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
whew one scared me for a scond. thought you had the Dealextreme one WOW!

till a test can be proven....

a sdcard your card is a A-Data what size?

have you othercams, or devices that allow youto read thecard, and that the mac can delete through.

1 delete all info on card., and format on your computer, do not do it one time only you have to do a few times. if I said 5 then it me that. then try on thekodak a few ttiems.

2 if you have any other device to format another cam, another person s....

then retry in your kodak.

possable A-Data is not the brand or you got a hidden file, currupted sd card..

last resort load enough info to card that is not of the cam to the card to fill it up to a limit and then try recording
---
Hey Fish, good to hear from you, anyway I did buy from dealxtreme, prices are good, customer service needs some major work. I'd stay away from those cheapo lenses, your asking for disappointment.
Now back to my disappointment.
I have a 8GB and 16BG both work well on my Canon HF100 and my casio EX-F1, S3IS. As for the hidden file it should go away after the format. I have formatted my cards over 5 times that was the 8GB card. I'm trying my older Kingston card, not sure of the class, it seems to be working, but it's only 2GB. I think I have a 4GB transend on my nokia wifi tablet. I'll check that card out as well. What brand of memory card are you using.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 4:35 PM   #333

[QUOTE=garman;1022037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
--------

Well this is the second A-Data card with the same problem. I have formatted both cards on camera and computer and I get the same results every time. I'm just thinking it's a compatibility issue. As for the chkdsk, I have a mac. I'll see if I can run the same type of command lines with terminal services for my Mac. What card are you using?
oops on a MAC I don't know how to do this check. You must look for a harddisk sector check tool. Often you can then also use a SDHC cards driveletter as if its a harddisk and check all its sectors. I have a Sandisk UltraII Class4 16 GB card with the on the label printed 15 MB/sec read/write notes (these are the new UltraII line). I payed 44 Euros for it.

Indeed it could well be a compatibility issue with A-Data cards too. Ive so far never had anything else than Sandisk and Kingston.
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:14 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
---
Hey Fish, good to hear from you, anyway I did buy from dealxtreme, prices are good, customer service needs some major work. I'd stay away from those cheapo lenses, your asking for disappointment.
Now back to my disappointment.
I have a 8GB and 16BG both work well on my Canon HF100 and my casio EX-F1, S3IS. As for the hidden file it should go away after the format. I have formatted my cards over 5 times that was the 8GB card. I'm trying my older Kingston card, not sure of the class, it seems to be working, but it's only 2GB. I think I have a 4GB transend on my nokia wifi tablet. I'll check that card out as well. What brand of memory card are you using.
unsure why the comment earlier . lol

I use sandisk mentioned a few posts back. class 2 and class 4
I had turned on a 16gb one 15mmbs and starttime was 9 secs reformatted pc and kodak cleared and 3-4 sec start up.

you own a cannon does it allow format the casio as well format in there.

I do that if I have issues, sometimes other devices work better then the computer
fat 32 or other try switchig fat to fat32.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:32 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
unsure why the comment earlier . lol

I use sandisk mentioned a few posts back. class 2 and class 4
I had turned on a 16gb one 15mmbs and starttime was 9 secs reformatted pc and kodak cleared and 3-4 sec start up.

you own a cannon does it allow format the casio as well format in there.

I do that if I have issues, sometimes other devices work better then the computer
fat 32 or other try switchig fat to fat32.
I'll try the fat 32 format. But I think that's the default for most of these units, correct? Regarding the Casio and Canon. I can format from the canon and have it working on the Casio, and the other way around.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:59 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
I'll try the fat 32 format. But I think that's the default for most of these units, correct? Regarding the Casio and Canon. I can format from the canon and have it working on the Casio, and the other way around.
just go into a device and format, you'll then take out and format again to thekodak. that simple.

enjoy
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:21 AM   #337

I also have 2 data card with similar problem, both works good on other equipment but will not do full capacity in cam. use different brand (PNY 4 GB class 4 $10) and it work fine.

Last edited by maxhuey; Nov 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:49 AM   #338

I think I'll try a different brand tomorrow. SDHC cards are quite cheap and the worst that can happen I can use it for my Casio or Canon. Anyway I was thinking of buying a underwater case for the Kodak Zi6. What do you guys think of this badboy.

http://www.accessorygeeks.com/waterp...se-wp-550.html

not too expensive, it fits a palm treo. I'm assuming it's close in size. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:15 AM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Dear Mr.*********,

After looking into your concerns, I have confirmed that the sensor listed in the firmware menu, that you have captured images of, is not actually what is in the Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera.

Unfortunately, this section of the menu was retained in error during firmware development. The information comes from the Kodak Zi6 Pocket Video Camera menu structure and only lists the older sensor, it does not actually report what is in the Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera, which is definitely the 1/2.5", 5MP imager we specify.

We do not know if there will be a firmware update to correct the mis-information, as it does not affect camera functionality or image quality.

Sincerely,

Dawn Stawald

Good morning everyone, Finally, an answer. A little over 3 weeks for Kodak to determine that there is an incorrect description of the sensor in the Zi8 Service Menu. I have asked for the specific description (maufacturer, part number, etc.) of the 1/2.5 type 5 MP CMOS sensor that has been confirmed to be in the Zi8. I'm still cynical, as in many respects the performance of my Zi8 is significanltly poorer than my Zi6.
I got the message from 5 hours ago when I opened my mail, only took me like less then 5 days .

What i hoped might be the problem and good news.

As too performance, I hope they fix that daytime over exposure problem that I identified where faces burn out in sunlight, and the white balance going too yellow (maybe both so we can select our own). Apart from these two things (the zi8 exposure leading to brighter image in low light which helps) the performance on the 720p footage I saw looked identical, except I could not load in all the original footage on the vimeo comparison, I could have compared noise levels. the exposure and white balance problems are too classic problems you can fix with a diagnostic menu. Actually I should ask the Aiptek rep to at least let me know how to get to my service menu, the quality is woeful compared to the zi6 footage I have seen, and it is supposedly the same sensor (the zi6 was not available in austral and did not have voice recorder, and i forget about the microphone port, so I bought the Aiptek instead).

If both sensor come from the same company with the same technology, the sensor pad size, and performance, should be simular. However, the 720p mode, that should be pixel binned, should be better (hence comparing footage) by 6-12db or so (regrettably usually not the full 24db you might expect). What that should mean is that it can handle half the light to a quarter the light, not that most people can judge this with their eyes, as a quarter the light might only appear a fraction dimmer to them, but in the real world this should substantial increase the area the camera can be used in (realizing that light drops off rapidly over distance too).

Well, eager to see the next camera, which might be out by the time the zi8 is out here (I have been told they do not have a official release time in Australia). The zi8 is not likely to be significantly cheap enough, like in America, when it eventually gets here to easily justify buying both, I might even have a Scarlet by then, so only need one pocket camera.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:20 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
in the board called "A Word from Steve's" a sticky post says:

"Steve's Digicams recently experienced intermittent website outages caused by a cyber attack. Our troubleshooting team has resolved the issue, and the site should now be functioning normally. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and apologize for the inconvenience caused by this attack"

I however doubt that thats all there is about the sites slowness and sometimes unresponsiveness as this is still going on every day from time to time. I'm thinking the site runs on servers that are topping on their capacity.
Thanks.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote