Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:23 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
yeah I agree that if there is no logicality behind the file and mapnaming that that is very idiot.

other people who DO see a logical behaviour in it ?
Did you check out if it might be using the pattern I previously suggested looking at?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:33 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Hi Fishy, I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I offered the warning not to make any changes with out the explicite instructions from Kodak. Regarding accesssing the Service Menu voiding the warranty, I ran the issue past an attorney friend of mine and he likened to a new car with a window sticker stating it has a V8 engine. You "pop" the hood to verify the info and you see that it in fact has an inline 6. You don't tamper with it or make any material changes you merely observe the fact that it is not a V8 would not void the warranty. I realize that his is just an opinion and ultimately a court would have the final decision as to the voiding of a warranty, but common sense says that you should be able to "pop" the hood without
voiding your coverage.
Even changing a menu item is not actual damage usually, you can switch the wipers on in a car, top the water up even change the spark plugs, without voiding warranty. There is usually judgments in favor of these things already. It is common in contracts to include "boiler Plate" clauses, that law overrides, but are there if the law changes. Often it probably is not worth debating though.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:34 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Wayne12. There was no change in the sensor description after downloading 1.06 fw.
Thanks for that.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:38 AM   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Kodak or Aiptek,
I am finding it a little difficult to follow, but how does the Aiptek GVS you have compare to the zi8 in low light (at the same frame rate) particularly noise, and in normal light, particularly exposure and color?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:13 AM   #345

This looks nice (well the front image looks nice, what it was shot on I don't know either):

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/kodakhd/videos/7564431
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:11 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
I am finding it a little difficult to follow, but how does the Aiptek GVS you have compare to the zi8 in low light (at the same frame rate) particularly noise, and in normal light, particularly exposure and color?
I did a number of clips. I shown the classiccars . the kodak (topic here) stands out better then the Aiptek. but the DOD also puts a great fight to, it outproforms in lighting up in night, not saying it is a clearer more perfect video.

I am not picky nor choosy, I am hapy film is viewable.
if you want perfection its going to be a LONG ROAD

I always made a video,showing a parkway ride, to the Brooklyn bridge, the courthouse, a store front. the Holland tunnel, and a park bench conclusion. with many followed videos.

I am pleased no matte rwhat, again with what I chose.

I will have to take the Aiptek again andrefilm but I know the answer
Kodak s the higherbitrate. with what info is caught.

only my opinoin
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:41 AM   #347

Wayne....

filmed the same scenrio of a car lott, and as well the bench review. ifI am talking , it is just that nothing more, as I (I) already own the cams how I feel at given times.

Videos will be aired at youtube later.

Wayne, in my personal opinion, a fixed focuswins hands down on any given night scenery, reason n o focus hunting, it has no focal adjustments, only , and only if you open and mod.

The GVS, is put through the test, and apon start up, the cam sould adjust within secs, 3 sec max. perfect day yes, nighttime. 3,secs went by 6 secs went by 20 secs went by, and adjustments are about focused, , wait readjusting again.

Night time the AF (autofocus), not AF lock, will constantly adjust to the sensor/ processor/ computer/circuitry. says looks good I am ready, an then , and only then we can get a good shot. new cam, never dropped or damaged, I thought dropping of my old one that the focus went out, not true. just a LOW BUDGET CAM HERE.
The Kodak on the other hand has already a FF(fixed focus) and pre set of what they concider a ideal balance. works much better then the Aiptek.
Aiptek night scenes seems darker in the video LCD FILMED Screen vs a lttps flourecent screen, big difference. So when I replay at home I see differences.
the night flare is less on the AIptek I am sure I was at the correct place give or take 10 feet. the DOD prooves flare, the Kodak, so would you think AIptek as well? lol?

I know you asked about bitrate and I rambled on about the z700/GVS they are both the same cam no matter what a company does notwant to tell, its ideal that you in your region get the model for easier warranty.

Bitrate of Kodak is Hiigh , Samsung is a tad bigger , the Aiptek is not NOT 1920x1080 And I filmed all shots in what is concidered by them 1080P (LOL)

If I have placed nightshot Mode ON, and I did, I will tell you Kodak does not tell you the cam if it has a ISO setting or other shutter releases? and i am sure it does.
As well the DOD.

till hours later of the vid, many other vids are posted, thank you.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:31 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Looks sequential, are the filenames inside the folders sequential, and does the folder name reflect the first or last file or the number of files in folders till that point, or number of files in the folder? I guess it is not making a folder per session, that once it hits a certain size it starts to make a decision to make a new file, and when it hits a certain size it makes a decision to make a new folder (so different resolutions results in more or less files in a folder before it makes a new one). One problem with a scheme like this, is if you delete a file or folder, and the software does not keep track, it might try to start from the deleted files and fill in the gaps (I think my Aiptek does this with files).
the mapnames are called like 151EKZI8 and the next one was 165EKZi8 so these are not sequential and didn't start at 001EKZI8

the filenames are like 165_0243.MOV and then 165_0244.MOV so the last part is squential but they don't start with _0001

so
1) mapnames don't start at 001_
2) not understandable when the cam decides it is time for a new map
3) the next mapname isnt numbered one higher but skips a random amount
4) the filenames get the first part from the map name in which they are residing but their filename doesnt start at 0001 but just at a random number
5) the only one thing that it DOES logical is then name every next video with one higher number
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:13 PM   #349

Video How to Modify the lens and infomous red indicator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ69xv94fVA

For those who want to try their hands in a covering up the infomous red indicator/light, or Night flare fix. You, YOU may try this.

I have a demostration video of a how to go about.

you are responsable for your own actions

Instructions are very clear and simple:

tools required
Micro screw set 99 cents stores
Paper , pen draw and write all your actions you take, draw each part place on paper..

Step one

remove battery tray door, by sliding down and away.

Step two

with screw driver, Phillipes, remove the screw, nest to the battery tab to the right,and place in a tray, tape, DO NOT LOSE IT>

Step Three

Fingers to the sides, two thumbs under the uper door, GENTLY work up, and release, take about three or four gentle pushs. once the release is felt, pull ant and away, place to side

Cleaning Lense, with a Micro cloth, repairing ,Modding can begin.

Red Indicator/ light removing magnifyer

step one remove screw, and plastic magnifyer and place tab, tape, etc over, reverse step three, two, one, finished.

Removing Lens cover test video first.

step One

pushing GENTLY on the three tabs, and pushing away will release glass.

reverse step three. two, and One.

Congrads on your Modifications. thank you.

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:47 PM   #350

Fishy,
While you are modifying your Zi8 I was modifying my DOD F200. In fact, a second unit just arrived today by mail from Hong Kong, so I have spare (in case I slip with the screwdriver )

I have made a dummy battery to fit in the battery holder, connected to a switching power supply board fed by one of my 7.2V Canon HF100 batteries. That way the camera will run for > 5 hours without changing batteries or SD cards The long operation time is important for me
I have also modified the rotating head so it elevates another 30 degrees or so, making it easier to perch the camera on a flat surface.

Isn't it great to have cameras cheap enough so that you can play with the internals without worrying too much

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and all here at Steve's
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote