Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:00 AM   #351

Trevmar, have you considered the ramifications of your camera when recording outside it specs. My only consideration is how much heat the camera will produce when recording for such a very long time. I recall my Zi6 gets quite warm when recording for 30 mins
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 1:31 AM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
Trevmar, have you considered the ramifications of your camera when recording outside it specs. My only consideration is how much heat the camera will produce when recording for such a very long time. I recall my Zi6 gets quite warm when recording for 30 mins
thats the Ambarella CPU/GPU chip
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:01 AM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
thats the Ambarella CPU/GPU chip
That's true. Some camcorders have batteries that get warm, too. But when you plug something into the composite video output of the F200D its screen goes off, at least reducing the heat from that source. So all in all the heat is actually a bit less operating from an external 3.8 volt power source... In any case the ambarella chip in the F200D is the newest one, with 1920x1080 recording capability, and it may be a process shrink - I am not sure...

Besides, my objective is not to have a fully-functioning camera in a years time, but to have lots of memorable footage the camera took before it wore out
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 7:00 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
Fishy,
While you are modifying your Zi8 I was modifying my DOD F200. In fact, a second unit just arrived today by mail from Hong Kong, so I have spare (in case I slip with the screwdriver )

I have made a dummy battery to fit in the battery holder, connected to a switching power supply board fed by one of my 7.2V Canon HF100 batteries. That way the camera will run for > 5 hours without changing batteries or SD cards The long operation time is important for me
I have also modified the rotating head so it elevates another 30 degrees or so, making it easier to perch the camera on a flat surface.

Isn't it great to have cameras cheap enough so that you can play with the internals without worrying too much

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and all here at Steve's
Thank you Trevmar on the personal note as well to all others happy happy........t-day to ALL.

I have modified my Aiptek IS-DV, np-60 battery as well. and they are not ahrd to do at all. the lense degree or angle that is neat that you Modded for a full 90 degree.

I just show, and Demo, nothing more to theKodak if one wants to take itto their own level, it is Super - easy to remove justt hat cover. and fiddlewith t it for
  • wide angle Modification
  • lense removal
  • L.E.D. Indicator modification
there are endlesss possblilities here.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 8:01 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Battery test Kodak zi8 orginal Green battery

Hd1080P Face detect OFF, Stab OFF Mic midle, and Brightness Lowest Dark Sun

Run time Final result 1 hour 22 minutes 52 seconds

When depletion occurres Files are saved without any warning, not a Icon .

When battery is low there are no warnings not even a Icon of battery levels during a session, only when again at the first 5 secs, or stand by

What are the best settings for the longest battery usage
  • face detect off
  • Stabilization off
  • Brightness turned to minimum (lowest setting)
  • Fully charged battery resting a minimum of 5 minutes between charges or longer.
How can I optimize, or extend my battery life?
Aftermarket products with correct ratings, if it is a spare battery or batterries, external power sources, ac, dc sources

The Kodak Zi8 with all the controls and features used will have the shortest battery time of 50 plus minutes
Running One final test wit hte hd1080P face detect OFF EIS OFF, and brightness level to MEd Mic gain default

1 hr 22 min 52 secs was with all set at a low brightness.

It is said that the Brightness of the screen will no run the battery any longer or less with low or medium setting the test is at 1 hr 10 minutes and this concludes the battery test . I guess if I really , really wanted to see if the micgain will lower the battery i should run it LOL

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:44 AM   #356

Fishycomics,

I thank you very much for all your work on the ZI8 which looks just the job for my purposes and I would just want to play its output on my TV as I'm not very computer literate and all the technicalities involved are quite beyond me.

If I may ask you a question......do you think the ZI8's video would look as good on my "HD Ready" 32-inch TV as it does on the YouTube samples?

Regards, Almar.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:57 AM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar View Post
Fishycomics,

I thank you very much for all your work on the ZI8 which looks just the job for my purposes and I would just want to play its output on my TV as I'm not very computer literate and all the technicalities involved are quite beyond me.

If I may ask you a question......do you think the ZI8's video would look as good on my "HD Ready" 32-inch TV as it does on the YouTube samples?

Regards, Almar.
the camcorder has a setting called NTSC / PAL you make sure it is on that, some othercams have an additional one called Flicker.

NTSC is a USA thing, PAl is a overseas thing for frame rate.

Flicker is a Electical thing where you have to ahve it set to 50htz by you. while USA 60htz.

So when ordering this from a USA place I wonder, Just wownder if that causes issues overseas.

To your question:
I am sure the HDMI supplied cable and cam to your tv will Blow you away. jsut do not film any windy scenery.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 2:58 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevmar View Post
That's true. Some camcorders have batteries that get warm, too. But when you plug something into the composite video output of the F200D its screen goes off, at least reducing the heat from that source. So all in all the heat is actually a bit less operating from an external 3.8 volt power source... In any case the ambarella chip in the F200D is the newest one, with 1920x1080 recording capability, and it may be a process shrink - I am not sure...

Besides, my objective is not to have a fully-functioning camera in a years time, but to have lots of memorable footage the camera took before it wore out
yeah the Zi8 has that 1920x1080 ambarella chip too and I agree with you that you got the cam to USE it and not to lie it in a drawer

although I don't even know what thanksgiving is since i'm from The Netherlands in Europe and we don't have that day, I see it is Thanksgiving today so a Happy Thanksgiving to all that come from countries where they DO have Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 4:15 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the camcorder has a setting called NTSC / PAL you make sure it is on that, some othercams have an additional one called Flicker.

NTSC is a USA thing, PAl is a overseas thing for frame rate.

Flicker is a Electical thing where you have to ahve it set to 50htz by you. while USA 60htz.

So when ordering this from a USA place I wonder, Just wownder if that causes issues overseas.

To your question:
I am sure the HDMI supplied cable and cam to your tv will Blow you away. jsut do not film any windy scenery.
Thanks a load for your invaluable help, fishycomics. For some reason that I don't understand, the HD samples won't play properly on my computer which is, I think, not up to modern standards.

It looks as if I'll have an extra Christmas present!

Best wishes, Almar.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:50 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar View Post
Thanks a load for your invaluable help, fishycomics. For some reason that I don't understand, the HD samples won't play properly on my computer which is, I think, not up to modern standards.

It looks as if I'll have an extra Christmas present!

Best wishes, Almar.
Hi Almar, If you don't mind here's MY experience. I found that playing the 1080p files with the Kodak Media Impression software goes the smoothest but only on my Laptop (dual core cpu) and my Pentium4 3.0 GHZ plays them jerky so if your computer is similar to that one then indeed its time for a christmas present