Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:40 AM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Fishy, My Zi8's battery level indicator comes on to the screen and flashes a red level marker when the battery level is at less than what appears to be 25%. This would be the point where the portable charger would be plugged into the camera. I agree with you that it would be much more helpful if the battery level monitor was on continuously and indicated level throughout a video session, however, I have found that the low level indication comes on in plenty of time to make a battery change or to plug in the KP100-C+2 charger.
While in Record the Indicator does not pop in or on to indicate level, it automatically gives you 3 secs of warning before Pop off itgoes. I found that out by doing my obs.....
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:51 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
Apple QuickTime is a CPU hog for video playback in Windows. Rename your Kodak's .MOV files to .MP4 and play them in Windows Media Player. The playback will be much smoother and less laggy than in QuickTime. VLC Media Player also works fine.

If that does not work, you need to install the CoreAVC video codec. Download "Codec 8.3" and then install the CoreAVC video codec that it comes with (you don't need any of the other codecs that come in the Codec 8.3 pack, just CoreAVC). You can find Codec 8.3 here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/codec.htm
yes something i do not touch at times
go to your folders in any folder of My doc,
click on a folder, then Tools, Folder options, and view. in here you'll find at the first little folder, named hidden file and folder, bullet or checked. Show hidden file and folder. and Hide extention to hidden file and folder..

once you correctly mark them the file extentions show and able to rightclick, to rename. you may rename to any type you want, I recommend you be careful when doing so. rename a 123.mov to 123mov.avi this way you know what file it really was.

If I remember this may give me my thumbnail back asa pic. or i go t oacdc or tmi lol.

It will ask you are s you sure you want to rename, say yes.

you may rename it 123.mov.avi as it looks att helast threeharacters not the period (hint)
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:31 AM   #373

As I have viewed some clips, and asked a few questions., some are saying a infrared sensor is either in the cam, or added, unclear of how to interptrete the reseponse es. lol.

It is extremely annoying to see flare at night , while some have not shown any with light on their cam, so can this be again a batch of defects?

Will you get a perfect cam with absolute no issues, orwill you get one that will just be down right annoying.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:40 AM   #374

Lots of good info here. I just ordered a Zi8 yesterday. I was originally planning to buy a Flip UltraHD and was researching that when I ran across this forum and High Tech Dad's review. I have a few questions:

1) Which case are you guys using for the Zi8? I'm looking at the Lowepro Ridge 20 and Ridge 30 but am not sure which one is a better fit. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any in stock anywhere to try out. I have a Ridge 20 for my Casio camera and really like it. I have a bigger case to hold all of the accessories and both cameras when I travel but want something smaller for day to day use.

2) Is Windows Movie Maker a good program for editing videos and making movies? I'm a complete novice and looking for something easy to use and idiot proof.

Thanks,
Dave
SupaDave25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:25 AM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar View Post
Maicod, I don't mind at all! ANY info to help me improve my photographic and computer knowledge is more than welcome.

HD video playback is mostly a case of the graphic card used. 1920x1080 H.264 playback costs 20% of CPU usage on 2,66GHz Quad core with GPU based hardware decoding. For old AGP platform you can try to use some GeForce7600 graphic card. It should run with your cpu. My 3GHz P4 doesn't play smooth 720p without HW H.264 decoding GPU. I haven't tested it with AGP HW decoding GPU. You shouldn't rename files. Just right click on *.mov file, choose "Open with", locate VLCplayer.exe or other application and check "Always open with..." . You would avoid Quicktime this way forever without renaming.
CamTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:31 AM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDave25 View Post
Lots of good info here. I just ordered a Zi8 yesterday. I was originally planning to buy a Flip UltraHD and was researching that when I ran across this forum and High Tech Dad's review. I have a few questions:

1) Which case are you guys using for the Zi8? I'm looking at the Lowepro Ridge 20 and Ridge 30 but am not sure which one is a better fit. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any in stock anywhere to try out. I have a Ridge 20 for my Casio camera and really like it. I have a bigger case to hold all of the accessories and both cameras when I travel but want something smaller for day to day use.

2) Is Windows Movie Maker a good program for editing videos and making movies? I'm a complete novice and looking for something easy to use and idiot proof.

Thanks,
Dave
Welcome Aboard Superdave...

to Question 1. I do not use any cases lol, but example if one does not have any case will do , even a baby sock. many cases on the market. see ifone of yours fit, when recieved.

to Question 2:

there are links in the main page, I use XP of win pc. and moviemaker is not a quicktime format friendly user is it? ( see pic below )

You'll recieve , Arcsoft Total media Impressions, it has a very basic, but strong at the same time, gives you what you need to get your stuff up, and running, but limits you.

In Order to Use moviemaker, in the pic you see a video, it is converted, and will work today, but not later on, its picky at times, if Vista, or mohave, or win 7, or lets just say UPDATE THE PROGRAM Bill Gates, its OLD.
Convert, and the codec of H264 must be converted or minipulated out.

Some will use 3rd party software, Arcsoft is a 3rd party software, magix is Pinn is etc, etc.

In MM the formats are AVI, ASF, not .MOV, not .MP4

Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:21 PM   #377

fishicomics wrote:

"1 your processor is LESS thean Kodaks requirements, see Pic 1 vs. pic2 of kodaks requirements."

A million thanks, fishicomics. As I'm almost completely computer illiterate, I shall take a printout of your post to a certain reliable computer shop and tell them to get on with it!

BTW, I have noted all the "criticisms" of the ZI8 but having seen how it performs, PLUS your endorsement of it then for the price it will do me just fine.

fishicomics, it's folks like you that make Steve's a great place to visit!

Almar.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:49 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar View Post
fishicomics wrote:

"1 your processor is LESS thean Kodaks requirements, see Pic 1 vs. pic2 of kodaks requirements."

A million thanks, fishicomics. As I'm almost completely computer illiterate, I shall take a printout of your post to a certain reliable computer shop and tell them to get on with it!

BTW, I have noted all the "criticisms" of the ZI8 but having seen how it performs, PLUS your endorsement of it then for the price it will do me just fine.

fishicomics, it's folks like you that make Steve's a great place to visit!

Almar.
thank you on that note.

. my hp1070N updated , does okay. I am guessing 1 gig higher lol, but maxed out on memory. does a good job for me.

If you take a video file ortwo with you on a card, go to your pc store etc and Play it in them see what happs, on a faster pc/mac (hint)

Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:44 PM   #379

Default Windows *Live* Moviemaker

"Is Windows Movie Maker a good program for editing videos and making movies? I'm a complete novice and looking for something easy to use and idiot proof."

If you have Windows Vista or 7 you can downwload the free Windows Live MovieMaker, which is the successor to Windows MovieMaker, and is designed from the ground up for HD material.

For the Kodak Zi8, you do need, for some strange reason, to rename the .mov files .mp4 files and then you are ready to go. It's easy, and flexible and powerful. Windows Media Player in Windows 7 plays the .mov (or renamed .mp4) files great without codecs.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:11 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
"Is Windows Movie Maker a good program for editing videos and making movies? I'm a complete novice and looking for something easy to use and idiot proof."

If you have Windows Vista or 7 you can downwload the free Windows Live MovieMaker, which is the successor to Windows MovieMaker, and is designed from the ground up for HD material.

For the Kodak Zi8, you do need, for some strange reason, to rename the .mov files .mp4 files and then you are ready to go. It's easy, and flexible and powerful. Windows Media Player in Windows 7 plays the .mov (or renamed .mp4) files great without codecs.
As I said to the Other Poster. see Pic below, old or new. but again I may be wrong

It's like saying this I own a car its a Honda. I can put gas in it I use unleaded, I want to put leaded. will it work. answer NO.

How do I get Leaded Gas into the car, convert the lead to unleaded.

No caffeen this Am hour LOL.

I love Win Moviemaker, I started out with Moviemaker. It's Basic, very basic, just like Total media Impression, no, it's way better, and it's free.

If you learn the basics from, going into the program, and reading, YES READING, the F1 key
. you'll find all your answers there

I have gone out and purchased a book

And to my Dismay, the book is not a rip off, but funny how onecan Copy and paiste and make Millions on an idea that wasnot published LMAO, its exactly to the T of the F1 key info there, I have learned a lot, butnot as much as I learned at.

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/Default.aspx

to Continue myfun andeducation ofhow to, etc, etc, there are many XMLS to add in as plugins
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Fo...x?PostID=74030

I had taken mytime, and made this thread, and waiting for it to top at 1 million, to bad some to most are fading away with uploads, I cannot keep up lol. you want stars passing by in your video as background

http://www.hitthebongo.co.uk/videofx/

Visit this Person he is unreal, wish I couldsit back anddo somethinglike that. it's that easy. a few lessions and you can bea pro. or use a 3rd party software.

so yes one must have a correct video format to work with. oneday I will update my pc LOL. the World, no, Bill gates no the dam **** made us do it win 98 did just fine. forcing us to upgrade