Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:57 AM   #381

Default Not the same

Windows Live Moviemaker is the succssor to the old Windows Moviemaker. They are not the same program. The successor is easier and more powerful and can handles more codecs.

And, renaming the file extension does not alter any properties of the video file, so it is not like changing unleaded gasoline to leaded. There is no conversion; thus, no loss of quality.

WLM is a basic program, like Media Impression, but it is free and I think somewhat more powerful, and certainly less crash-prone, than Media Impression. Just weird you have to change the extension from .mov to .mp4 because the video is exactly the same.

Btw, the same thing is true for Sony Vegas Pro. It actually can crash if you try importing a .mov file. Change the extension to .mp4 (not a conversion), and no problem.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 AM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Windows Live Moviemaker is the succssor to the old Windows Moviemaker. They are not the same program. The successor is easier and more powerful and can handles more codecs.

And, renaming the file extension does not alter any properties of the video file, so it is not like changing unleaded gasoline to leaded. There is no conversion; thus, no loss of quality.

WLM is a basic program, like Media Impression, but it is free and I think somewhat more powerful, and certainly less crash-prone, than Media Impression. Just weird you have to change the extension from .mov to .mp4 because the video is exactly the same.

Btw, the same thing is true for Sony Vegas Pro. It actually can crash if you try importing a .mov file. Change the extension to .mp4 (not a conversion), and no problem.
thanks for the clearification, just as windows is not a mac is all I was saying avi is the better for moviemaker, not .MOV thanks
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:01 PM   #383

Thanks for the replies. I just upgraded to Windows 7 and downloaded Live Movie Maker. I'm glad to hear that's an option.
SupaDave25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:14 PM   #384

http://www.videolan.org/

One can always run this for their viewing of files.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:11 PM   #385

Default Windows 7 and video

Windows 7 has a much improved ability to work with HD files.

1. The included Windows Media Player plays almost everything, and especially h264 files that are the basic HD files in all HD cameras - whether in mov or avi or mp4 or avchd wrappers. And, the player will use hardware decoding if there is an appropriate gpu. No need for vlcplayer or media player classic, as in old operating systems like XP.

2. In thumbnailview you can see the first frame of HD videos without any add-ons; very handy for figuring out what you shot.

So, watch out for advice about software: it is now heavily depedent on what operating system version you have.

Time to upgrade?

Last edited by markr041; Nov 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:48 PM   #386

Quote:

1. The included Windows Media Player plays almost everything, and especially h264 files that are the basic HD files in all HD cameras - whether in mov or avi or mp4 or avchd wrappers. And, the player will use hardware decoding if there is an appropriate gpu. No need for vlcplayer or media player classic, as in old operating systems like XP.

2. In thumbnailview you can see the first frame of HD videos without any add-ons; very handy for figuring out what you shot.

So, watch out for advice about software: it is now heavily depedent on what operating system version you have.

Time to upgrade?
Yes we all are not upgraded LOL.. andsoon I hope to be
BOO HOO HOO.

Xp user here and till then Ho Ho Ho
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:04 PM   #387

Quote:
Time to upgrade?
Only if they are Microsoft-approved HD files. Wait until you hit the first file which Microsoft thinks is copyright, and you will be strictly out of luck. One of my own clips got a copyright flag accidentally encoded in it and then everything was curtains... So I went back to XP.

Why on earth would you want to use Microsoft tools anyway? Media Player Classic is more compact and more controllable than WMP. FFDshow is the only windows codec (besides CoreAVC) you can instruct to ignore or obey the 0-16 black point region. Using less capable Microsoft tools doesn't make any sense to me. Luckily, Frys still sells Windows XP professional OEM disks...
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:11 PM   #388

Very rational. One file has a hitch and you change operating systems! You could just download another player (like the one you mentioned, wmpc). You do not have to use Windows Media Player if you have Windows 7.

WMP is free and built-in. If it doesn't do what you want, by all means download/buy another player.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:44 PM   #389

Quote:
Very rational
Please, whether my actions are rational, or not, is not a suitable topic for discussion here.
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:04 PM   #390

Kodak zi8 uses a pkg called TMI (Arcsoft total media Impression) contains all the necesarry software to get one started.

Advance, or orginal software, if old or new, may or may not comply, we do our best to find a substitute, to fit our needs if 3rd party, or not, the cam is catered today more to the mac, less the software for it, Imagine, if it was the other way around, which it is. catered to the mac, and no software to the Win. We are lucky to have Arcsoft, catering to a number of Companies like ,Aiptek, Kodak, offering it free. I guess there is no pleasing those who cannot be pleased.

I like Arcsoft, the program opens andwhen my mouse hovers a file a small-to big icon, ANIMATED plays my video. who could ask for anything more. and that Icon can be sized up, way better then Ac-Dc

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote