Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:27 PM   #31
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Here is my new Mic and adapter, look out it's a Sony hd camcorder LOL. I will be very happy either way. the Mic Just, just clears the screen so rather have issues, a lil lower it must go, or higher.

The Shack 3.00 plus 1/8 3.5mm adapter sterio. and Ebay Sony mic (clone or is it) 5.00 shipped.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:34 AM   #32
ApG
Junior Member
 
ApG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Thanks OP for your in depth review.

I've been lurking this forum and decided to register since getting the Kodak Zi8. Here's a pic.



The external Sony mic works great. I purchased it on Amazon in the 30 dollar range and after reading some reviews plan on getting the DS70P from ebay and compare it to my current mic.

I really enjoy this pocket camcorder. The only knocks I have are that it always goes back to default setting when its off then turn it back on and no indoor flash for still pictures.

Also another side note, when I record, I have a mini flexible leg tripod attached but have the legs straight and just grip the legs...I find that I am more stable this way with noticeably less shake and helps a bit when I have to record with the Zi8 above my head.
ApG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:19 AM   #33
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApG View Post
Thanks OP for your in depth review.

I've been lurking this forum and decided to register since getting the Kodak Zi8. Here's a pic.


The external Sony mic works great. I purchased it on Amazon in the 30 dollar range and after reading some reviews plan on getting the DS70P from ebay and compare it to my current mic.

I really enjoy this pocket camcorder. The only knocks I have are that it always goes back to default setting when its off then turn it back on and no indoor flash for still pictures.

Also another side note, when I record, I have a mini flexible leg tripod attached but have the legs straight and just grip the legs...I find that I am more stable this way with noticeably less shake and helps a bit when I have to record with the Zi8 above my head.

Thank you, and Welcome aboard. APG....

I do that as alwayswith my smaller units placing the tripod on. great looking mic, and this confirms to me that Black is not Black.
Are you anyway upset that the true black cover is grey?

The camera will remember most settings there are hardely any to begin with.

video res is saved

face detect is saved

Stabilization is saved

Mic is not saved


We have sound , brightness, NTSC, format, info, date that is about it. so to say back to default , there really again is nothing to go back to ifthese are all saved,
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:01 AM   #34
ApG
Junior Member
 
ApG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Thank you, and Welcome aboard. APG....

I do that as alwayswith my smaller units placing the tripod on. great looking mic, and this confirms to me that Black is not Black.
Are you anyway upset that the true black cover is grey?

The camera will remember most settings there are hardely any to begin with.

video res is saved

face detect is saved

Stabilization is saved

Mic is not saved


We have sound , brightness, NTSC, format, info, date that is about it. so to say back to default , there really again is nothing to go back to ifthese are all saved,
Thanks for the correction. I made a big assumption that everything goes back to default when it is mainly the mic gain not getting saved. I was not thinking cos I was blinded by my anger lol. In some of my past videos, I was in a hurry to record and when I got back to review, the audio would be a bit low and just assumed that all other settings wouldn't save even though I know better. (either way sound can get adjusted with video editing software)

I really wanted the Raspberry color Zi8 but opted for the Black one because the raspberry one was either back ordered, unavailable at Kodak or too costly on Amazon... or something like that. The grayish color doesn't bother me one bit, it's fine. But I will be taking a trip to the Philippines and over there they have this thing called G Mask where they apply a thin film protector over any type of gadgets you have and that film has whatever custom design you want. So either way I'll be customizing my Zi8 when I'm there while recording some good videos.
ApG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:34 AM   #35
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApG View Post
Thanks for the correction. I made a big assumption that everything goes back to default when it is mainly the mic gain not getting saved. I was not thinking cos I was blinded by my anger lol. In some of my past videos, I was in a hurry to record and when I got back to review, the audio would be a bit low and just assumed that all other settings wouldn't save even though I know better. (either way sound can get adjusted with video editing software)

I really wanted the Raspberry color Zi8 but opted for the Black one because the raspberry one was either back ordered, unavailable at Kodak or too costly on Amazon... or something like that. The grayish color doesn't bother me one bit, it's fine. But I will be taking a trip to the Philippines and over there they have this thing called G Mask where they apply a thin film protector over any type of gadgets you have and that film has whatever custom design you want. So either way I'll be customizing my Zi8 when I'm there while recording some good videos.
sis amd I were talking , they have the site calledZigg. or zagg online that does that unsure the web name but will get it. you will pick one up for me , right?

You may also visit teck support at the Phillipenes

nevrcorrecting just pointing out the good

the red black or bluecan be purchased because you you need to do is order a cover only the battery cover.

If location you're going to has a web addy please pass it on.

andbest of all. we love to see someexcelent shots thanks.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:16 PM   #36
ApG
Junior Member
 
ApG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
sis amd I were talking , they have the site calledZigg. or zagg online that does that unsure the web name but will get it. you will pick one up for me , right?

You may also visit teck support at the Phillipenes

nevrcorrecting just pointing out the good

the red black or bluecan be purchased because you you need to do is order a cover only the battery cover.

If location you're going to has a web addy please pass it on.

andbest of all. we love to see someexcelent shots thanks.

I've done a little research and http://www.zagg.com/ is the site that does the "invisibleSHIELD" which protects and scratch proofs your devices. The cool thing about it is that they have on site installation retail stores near where I live. I'm going to check it out the next time I'm at the mall. You can check if invisibleSHIELD by Zagg is near you by typing your zip code at the zagg website.

http://gmask.com/ is the other thing that I was talking about. It is very similar to invisibleSHIELD but the main difference is that it works like invisibleSHIELD but the wrap has a design. Check out the site. I know many malls in the Philippines have G mask stores but I'll find out a web addy for exact locations once I find out.

I'm not much of a person that customizes my gadgets but since it's going to be cheap in the Philippines and if I pick a design that's not too cheesy then it would be worth it. Plus it will probably eliminate the fingerprints that the Zi8 is susceptible to as well as make it scratch proof and water resistant.

example of g mask



you can see more on the gmask website.

Thanks for the heads up on getting the different color battery cover. Even though I'll probably stick with my "black" battery cover, it's good to know that I still have the option to get the other colors.
__________________
canon sx130 is
Sony Handycam HDR SR-11
panasonic gf2 + 20mm f1.7
http://apgfoo.blogspot.com/
ApG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:05 PM   #37
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

your other option as well is to have the cover painted , I will check this out, as my Sis hadto order so we'resurethey are not near or are they. enjoy.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:03 PM   #38
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

The other day. shot this video and thought I do it over with a lowered mic level. As I am able to edit notmany. I thought I seen something different in color.

I video fram one ofeach within thesame time, and one had a spec of lint, bug etc, not theissue. The Observation:

the Grass to left is less, and the grass to right is more and cam is at the same spot so It is a challange to get clearity every single time one films. I thought I pointthis interesting fact outto you, 50% crop ofeach to save space here.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:20 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Wayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,071
Default

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but have confirmed the data rates are high, close to 24mb/s for1080p and 19mb/s for 720p60, and without looking indepth at picture quality (I am not that well and busy) it looks like quality is high at the moment. This will explain why you are finding it easier to edit 720p. I am having to slow both 1080p and 720p60 down at the moment (the 720p slightly less) for smooth playback but my card should be able to handle it, will have to upgrade to that Nvidia path for h264 acceleration. But I am happy, as long as they have lower data rate versions of the modes for people on a budget with slower machines (mines fairly basic except for the mid range graphics GPU). Shortly even the low end ATI cards and Larrabee cards will handle quite well (don't know when Nvidia will release next generation of cards).

Fishy, any chance that you could show 720p60 at night in normal mode to give an idea of picture performance? Also, is the 1080 mode of the type that has a much narrower field of view than the 720p mode?

I notice the pool shot is a bit yellow, but this could be incorrect lighting mode selection.

Smiles nearly all around . Now for a 1080p60 pocket cheapie knock around to complement the 150fps SHD Scarlet professional.

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:03 AM   #40
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post

Fishy, any chance that you could show 720p60 at night in normal mode to give an idea of picture performance? Also, is the 1080 mode of the type that has a much narrower field of view than the 720p mode?

I notice the pool shot is a bit yellow, but this could be incorrect lighting mode selection.

Smiles nearly all around . Now for a 1080p60 pocket cheapie knock around to complement the 150fps SHD Scarlet professional.
Thank you Wayne.

requests are always welcomed, I thought just doing 720p would have been good enough because it shows the video quality. 30 or 60. so I shall do it for ya at 30. I also have to do WVGA, and forgot the sdhc card.

Update: HD720P 30, and WVGA 30 are video'd and will await editing.

The pool shot, I do not have any pool shot. And that was the Adm's test. Yellow did not do a great jobas I mentioned above in a post. I filmed a dandilion standing, and macro, and still, viewed hd tv on set, and pc.

I have a bheirs set of colors as well as a Disney's when given time I will do this test, and one can always take the time to view the actual to the video, at your local Home Depot if in your Area. (smiles)

excelent Observation of the Pcs proformance. I guess you'll wait one more round (drinks) my pc is best at 720P30-60 for Kodaks Zi8. the DOD f200hd I can handle hd1080P(1920x1080)

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 15, 2009 at 6:02 AM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:28 AM.