Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:29 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar View Post
Maicod, I don't mind at all! ANY info to help me improve my photographic and computer knowledge is more than welcome.

I found the Belarc Advisor application online and I am appending the relevant part of its readout (hooray for Screencapture and Control-V) of this computer which I've had for nearly five years. This may be considered off topic and I will understand if the mods remove it but if you see it, your comments will be most welcome. I'm happy to say that I can easily afford to upgrade......I could do with a bigger monitor anyway and get rid of this big lump of a CRT thing whose picture is getting a tad fuzzy alog the edges.

With best wishes from Almar.
Almar you're welcome. Since you're posting the computer specs info to be able to let me determine if the system is up to the job of managing the Zi8's files its not really offtopic I also still got a CRT but its not fuzzy fortunately.

I checked out your computer specs and indeed its time for a new pc if you want to play/manage FULL_HD clips more easily. If you decide on the right CPU and Memory for a new machine you better don't take the value-versions of the CPU's like the Sempron was from AMD and the Celeron was for Intel because of the low Level1 and 2 cache they have. More Cores like Quad core will help as well as a higher CPU Ghz number. Also (especially for newer OS-es like Windows 7) the more internal memory you get the better (maybe like 4 GB minimum) and a speedy harddisk is a good thing too. I'm not good in the most recent models myself and I'm an Intel user so I can't recommend AMD CPUs or the right new Intel CPU. My system needs an urgent upgrade too but I 'build' them myself by buying all the loose components and putting them together.
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:32 PM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notafrog View Post
Fishy, My Zi8's battery level indicator comes on to the screen and flashes a red level marker when the battery level is at less than what appears to be 25%. This would be the point where the portable charger would be plugged into the camera. I agree with you that it would be much more helpful if the battery level monitor was on continuously and indicated level throughout a video session, however, I have found that the low level indication comes on in plenty of time to make a battery change or to plug in the KP100-C+2 charger.
If it flashes its too late because then my cam turns off. I think its time when the battery level meter shows in red (without flashing) to quickly hook it up to extra power. Unfortunately as Fishy showed the battery meter does not show during recording
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:22 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
yes something i do not touch at times
go to your folders in any folder of My doc,
click on a folder, then Tools, Folder options, and view. in here you'll find at the first little folder, named hidden file and folder, bullet or checked. Show hidden file and folder. and Hide extention to hidden file and folder..

once you correctly mark them the file extentions show and able to rightclick, to rename. you may rename to any type you want, I recommend you be careful when doing so. rename a 123.mov to 123mov.avi this way you know what file it really was.

If I remember this may give me my thumbnail back asa pic. or i go t oacdc or tmi lol.

It will ask you are s you sure you want to rename, say yes.

you may rename it 123.mov.avi as it looks att helast threeharacters not the period (hint)
I tried to rename .mp4...but my window media player will not play .mp4 for reasons unknown to me. When I was using quicktime, my CPU was running/blazing at 100% - my be more...and video still stattered a bit. using HP dv6000 laptop on xp...not very puter literate...

Last edited by maxhuey; Nov 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:59 PM   #394

As I am continueing to Observe, the Zed Item 8, love how we call it Zed i8 lol.

At low levels the annoying night flare, cannot believe how some have a perfect vid, and others issues? do you think there are cams without this issue?

I again place the cam in front , turn on a ceiling ligt, and see the flare, I take my hand try my best to hood the lens, what I did find, if I take my finget and place in front where I think the flare is causing issues, the light is blocked by the finger, and flare goes away I move away a little it comes back.

It is not the lens protector

SO I wonder, and Really wonder is it worth opening in full, and removing the half moon sensor cover, if we do that, DUST gets in video ruined, bestto live with it.

If I open it up, nad replace with protection, and it goes away then problem solved,

If opened up and still showing flare , then its just the way Kodak made the cam

If I see a vide of perfection, two things, it was not filmed by a kodak zi8
or
it was with a perfect model.

My 2 cents thank you
your thoughts please?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:57 AM   #395

It took me 18 hours to finally find an acceptable solution to process the files from the Zi8 on my computer. The software I had didn't really like these files, the PS3 would not accept them either and the packaged MediaImpression software was ridiculously slow at joining the files together or converting them to MP4 so the PS3 would play them and I could do more with them on the computer.I hope someone benefits from this solution as the processing times were killing me and I'm so pleased I found a way to sort this out and I couldn't find anyone else easily explaining how to get round this problem.

I found that you could use the Export function in Quicktime Pro to export the file to MP4 without going through the conversion process. The speed to perform this export is drastically quicker than converting the file format. This is because the Zi8 output files are H.264 MOV which can equally be contained in MP4. I don't know if this functionality is available or as user friendly in other software?

Open up your .mov file in QuickTime Pro . Click "File" at the top, then click "Export". Click the down arrow of the "Export:" box rightside and select "Movie to MPRG-4". Then click the "Options" button. Select "MP4" in the "MPEG-4 Export Settings" . Under the "Video" section, choose "Pass Through".

Unfortunately I had around 30 MOV files that I wanted to convert and I couldn’t find a way to pass through multiple files at once or easily join them together in QTP. I used this program MPEGSTREAM
http://www.squared5.com/ to open all the files at once and save them a single MOV. Worth noting that this took several minutes so joining video files is obviously time and resource intensive as well. Anyone recommend any better software to do this?

I then opened the newly saved single MOV file in QTP and passed it through. Again lesson learnt that Passthrough is unavailable if you join MOV files recorded at different resolutions on your Zi8. You can only pass through files on one resolution. I noticed this when I saw two Video Tracks in the Movie Properties in QTP.
Rather than the 14 hours I was quoted by my video converter to merge and convert my clips into a single movie, I am now watching my single movie in the same HD quality under an hour later on my PS3. I wish the Zi8 offered an MP4 output and saved all this hassle in the first place, I am going to ask Kodak if they could implement this in future firmware.

I would now like to find some simple software to remove dud parts of the movie but still save the same file quickly afterwards. Any suggestions? In the absence of any support from Kodak, I hope you find this helpful.

Derek
origrudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:58 AM   #396

Hi Fishy !

I saw you use a Sony external mic (ECM-DS70p mounted with a right angle adapater) on your Zi8.
Doesn't this mount occult a part of the lens ?

Thank you for answer ! =))
xavouze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:57 PM   #397

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a Zi8 as a replacement for my Veho Kuzo VCC-002 which was an unfortunate early Christmas present from my wife. Thank god it had a problem reading memory cards and was sent back; it is a nice-looking piece of kit, but quite crap on the job.

I was really surprised at the bitrate difference between the Zi8 and the Kuzo. At full [email protected] the Kuzo only averages 8500Kbps, whereas some of the files shared by Zi8 users within this forum go as high as 27000kbps at the same resolution. At [email protected] the Kuzo bitrate dropped as low 4100kbps, (and yes, it's unable to record [email protected], it can only do [email protected], how lame is that?). I'm glad it turned out to be faulty so I could get rid of the sucker. I can't believe such a low bitrate, what were the developers thinking???

I also posted a small guide describing my current software setup which can produce hardware-accelerated x264 playback within Windows Media Player. Have a look here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ed...ml#post1024269

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 1, 2009 at 2:00 PM.
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:10 PM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavouze View Post
Hi Fishy !

I saw you use a Sony external mic (ECM-DS70p mounted with a right angle adapater) on your Zi8.
Doesn't this mount occult a part of the lens ?

Thank you for answer ! =))
It will obscure just at a certain angle. for example you can use thesony (clone) ( or is it)from top 10 O'clock to 2 O'clock, and 4 O'clock to 5 O'clock, at 3 O'Clock it gets in the way by a Hair it can be noticable to some, and not to others.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:48 PM   #399

So guys do you think I should go for the Zi8? Or is there a better alternative out there that can do [email protected] for roughly the same money as the Zi8? So far the bitrate looks great and all the posts I read point towards the conclusion that this is the one to get. However... the AIPTEK PocketDV AHD Z700 Extreme looks nice too, Fishy you are an AIPTEK user, any ideas?
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 5:50 PM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Alex= View Post
So guys do you think I should go for the Zi8? Or is there a better alternative out there that can do [email protected] for roughly the same money as the Zi8? So far the bitrate looks great and all the posts I read point towards the conclusion that this is the one to get. However... the AIPTEK PocketDV AHD Z700 Extreme looks nice too, Fishy you are an AIPTEK user, any ideas?
AIptek if they send me the GVS Extreme. I can answer hands with Honesty. but since I am like all others out there, a consumer, not a tester.

It's a tough call,I say get both and your troubles are gone.

lol

Optical zoom, gyro stabilization, and more controls, a tough decision, on a very basic camcorder. some people would preferre higher bitrate, but their Old pc/mac may not hadle it.

if you look at hd720p bit, and file size they are as big or may be bigger then the hd1080P,

It may be said hd720p has finally been perfected with no interpolation, and hd1080p may just be Interpolated or upconvertedstill. my opinion.