Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:33 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandrea View Post
I have a red pixel that is little known

Many have these pixels?

I recommend? to make me change? I bought it online
As I only seen most the clips, never did i run accross red pixals'

As we know we have a Kodak support, use it, worst that can happen you waste your time, talking to them, or the bestthat can happen you get a Brand new cam. the options are open there.

We do not supply support here and a descussion section, imagine if we fixed the issue LOL.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:41 AM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
are you absolutely sure firmware downgrade is safe?
fishycomics seemed skeptical about it.

Hm, i wonder if the .img is a standard image...then we load our own custom image with programs or something.

btw - windows does not automatically run autorun executables on USB devices...
I hear ya.

If you downgrade, and do not know what you are doing, Ask Chrisc074...

He ruined a perfect free kodak Zi8.

We say, and I wil lrub it in leave it alone, but I am like you, that will just dig into something I am interested in. And have stopped digging deeper into the firmware.

To Download will currupt the Arcsoft software, and, reloading it in , and it takes more then just one reload to get the cam back to working order.

so when you up/down grade that will be the issue, why I am skeptical.

follw the steps real careful, and make sure all is powered up and correct.

we scare you and tryto make it sound IMPORTANT, but its really easy to do.

I wanted to test 1.01, 1.02 (if exists) etc, etc,

And show before, during after shots. so you ,and others can decide what is the best firmware. these Companies refuse to offer, the info , and tell us exactly the fixs.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:51 AM   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
my Zi8 fw-106 went blank 3 times today, can't turn off or do anything else, just dark screen until battery is remove and re-installed.

anyone else??
A forced crash can be done, and is normal if your cam crashs. Reasons:

SD, SDHC, MMC cards, Company used, and what was loaded, is loaded, and how you formatted, are the issues of a crash.

example forcedcrash, loading a video using arcsoft TMI, back to cam wit correct file name, and tv playback will crash the cam.

if you have a hidden file on there, may have caused the issue.

recommend try reformatting the sd card in the cam a few times, as well in the pc or mac.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:59 AM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Ken View Post
Is this an example of rolling shutter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4PDr7688o

The Zi8 was rubber-banded to a gps mount on the windshield. When not moving and idling it seems the car vibration caused problems with the Zi8's image stabilization. After the car starts moving, the rolling shutter(?) stops.

EDIT: Here's a movie of my drive home after work (12x speed) @WVGA resolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAD8q00CFyw

Welcome Aboard Baron......

the first clip is not "Rolling shutter" it is a a Wobble

WHen you are stationary, out of the car, cam on a tripod, try filming with
  • face detect OFF Eis OFF
  • face detect ON Eis OFF
  • face detect OFF Eis ON
there are only two controls besides the Mic gain. so those are the only two options we have.
Rolling shutter will look like a slant, you will be filming to the side and when you start to go, everything starts bending.............

WHat we're after here is to see if either your setup in the car is wrong.

Are you using the zoom at all, if so zoom is useless to some, it is and will cause issues.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:00 AM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
I have noticed that when I talk a bit loud and close to the built-in mic, it does something similar...just not that noticeable.
If it is noticable with the cam, narrating, then there has to be a issue with wiring or something We do not understand.

testing is needed
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:06 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
the first clip is not "Rolling shutter" it is a a Wobble
Thanks. I edited the video title to indicate wobble instead of rolling shutter. I'm halfway through reading this thread and I didn't see a description or an example of rolling shutter, so I wasn't sure what it was called that I filmed.

I figured it had to do with the vibration when the car wasn't moving and the image stabilization. I will try some different settings as you suggest and record the results.
Baron Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:20 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Ken View Post
Thanks. I edited the video title to indicate wobble instead of rolling shutter. I'm halfway through reading this thread and I didn't see a description or an example of rolling shutter, so I wasn't sure what it was called that I filmed.

I figured it had to do with the vibration when the car wasn't moving and the image stabilization. I will try some different settings as you suggest and record the results.

Even thogh the clip is very short, you'll see of the picture ( its a video link) that te barrier lines are just about slnated when we're in motion

Wobble, is caused again by the Image stabilization (EIS) and increased drastically by using the zoom, even if you set te zoom to whatever incriment, and keep set.
Rolling shutter cannot be fixed, it's a Cmos sensor issue, Wobble canoot be fixed, but less noticable on EIS OFF. Fixed Focus lens is way better then a Auto foucsed one, but the cam will act with issues as well, a AF lock is needed
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:00 PM   #438

Thanks fishy, that showed and explained rolling shutter adequately!
Baron Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:20 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
As I only seen most the clips, never did i run accross red pixals'

As we know we have a Kodak support, use it, worst that can happen you waste your time, talking to them, or the bestthat can happen you get a Brand new cam. the options are open there.

We do not supply support here and a descussion section, imagine if we fixed the issue LOL.
I fully agree with Fishy that we're not paid Kodak workers that offer support. we're just Zi8 owners that are enthusiast and sometimes can help the people here but its not something you can demand of us.
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:52 PM   #440

Update:

16 gb card, while filming segments of around 10-15 secs, rather many minutes. I found that the 16gb taken a longer time to respond to the ZI8.

as in the clips i shown on youtube one particular one the rest room being out, I was doing a short skit, and only a few secs, either I wastired, or very careful, lol

I am goingto use my 4 gb first, or 8 gb, the nreserve my 16 as back up to other cam.

not good to only get partical video

while on my two day trip I was suprized the cam held stong.

1.8 plus gig. 100 plus videos and still power left for additional video filming

I am very pleased so far, just going to ultilize the 8 gb card over a larger capacity one now.

a Video move will be made while I thought loading 15 sec clips that failed, were 3-8 secs lol were loaded will give you ideas of how the cam worked for me.
look for future clips coming.