Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:48 AM   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
If by "latency" problems you mean lack of sync of sound and video (again, I have a hard time with your language), I have recorded 30-60 minute concerts using a dual audio system using the Zi8 and a high-quality audio recording system. We sync the good stereo recoding to the sound recorded by the Zi8 using software that does this to the bit exactly. Believe me, we are very sensitive to concert recordings with out-of-synch audio, and there is NO audio sync problem at all with our Zi8.
No, I simply meant "slow response time", or waiting for the I/O (input/output) to/from the card. That is what I interpreted from one of fishycomics's posts regarding his 16GB card.. Because I should be receiving my Zi8 today, I need to by a SD card, and I didn't know what to get... I see Sams has a Toshiba Class 4 16GB SD card for $34.88.

Markr041 is using a class 6 16GB and has had not problems. Is anyone using a class 4 16GB SD, and if so, any feedback regarding it's functionality with the Zi8?

Thanks in advance.
goodoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #462

am using a PNY 4 GB class 4 SDHC, no problem what so ever. paid US$10 at Fred Myer, Target also have similar 4 GB for $10. I choose 4 GB because it is more than enough capacity for my use, about 40 minutes of Video and tons of photos.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:15 PM   #463

maxhuey, just curious, what mode do you record in? 720p, 30fps and 60fps, or 1080p?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:19 PM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhuey View Post
am using a PNY 4 GB class 4 SDHC, no problem what so ever. paid US$10 at Fred Myer, Target also have similar 4 GB for $10. I choose 4 GB because it is more than enough capacity for my use, about 40 minutes of Video and tons of photos.
4 gb sdhc class 2 are perfect, they do the trick, class 4 are as well perfect.

I preferre 4gb, today I anted up to 8 gb

This Am hour I noticed a short delay a sec, so it is said the higher the sdhc card the longer the delay, that is how I see it I am comparing my Aiptek GVS did a comparison clip, and it's a fraction off.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 2:45 PM   #465

Because I was totally unaware of SD "classes" until yesterday, I googled it to find out the # represents the speed, and that the amount of GB is independent of speed (for the most part).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it. Just got my Xi8 delivered from UPS. Now I need to go buy a SD card....
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:00 PM   #466

I bought a 16 GB PNY Class4 card in The Netherlands for 25 euros (free postage) and it works fine.
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:54 AM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoboy View Post
maxhuey, just curious, what mode do you record in? 720p, 30fps and 60fps, or 1080p?
I tried to answer this 3 times and it just show up this time...LOL

I use mostly 720/60 but have used all other mode without any significant problems.

What I have learned from the pass months:

95% of the people don't care that much about the nitty-gritty of the resolutions and such, they are just happy to see home made video in real HD.

For smaller LCD (40" and below), it is very difficult to tell the difference between 1080 & 720. 1080 has narrower view angle than 720 so when I shoot 720 on the same subject but closer, details are the same viewed on my 72" DLP.

On my 26" LCD, 720 & WVGA are virtually identical in quality.

with my friends having the latest Flip, Panny, Sony, Sanyo, Aiptek and some generic brand, we all agree Zi8 is the overall best of the bunch. Hopefully new FW fix those other minor problems.

Cheers!

Last edited by maxhuey; Dec 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM.
maxhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:21 PM   #468

About zooming in macro mode - as far as I followed this thread, this wasn't mentioned before:
The zoom factor is not reset when switching to macro mode. So you can zoom while in wide mode, then switch to macro and enjoy. To change the zoom factor you have to switch back to wide mode though. (Checked in firmware 1.06)

It's ridiculous that (digital!) zoom is is disabled in macro. Although the usefulness of digital zoom is questionable anyway, it can be helpful to check focus (as was mentioned before) or to avoid the need for scaling in post processing. In my opinion at least.
crashdebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:19 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdebug View Post
It's ridiculous that (digital!) zoom is is disabled in macro. Although the usefulness of digital zoom is questionable anyway, it can be helpful to check focus (as was mentioned before) or to avoid the need for scaling in post processing. In my opinion at least.
Yeah I realized that.
I tried opening the camera to disable the "click" of the switch (and maybe electric sensor that reports the position), but the screws holding the body together are smaller (shallower) than a #0 Phillips and I don't want to strip them.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:23 PM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdebug View Post
About zooming in macro mode - as far as I followed this thread, this wasn't mentioned before:
The zoom factor is not reset when switching to macro mode. So you can zoom while in wide mode, then switch to macro and enjoy. To change the zoom factor you have to switch back to wide mode though. (Checked in firmware 1.06)

A Excellent find, isn't it.

I do not use the maco, or zoo often, as we are limited, to X inchs, and have to be precisely on the object..............