Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:28 PM   #471

I just did some focusing tests. In macro, the focus distance is 14-16cm, anything closer/farther is too blurry.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 6:01 PM   #472

Hello everyone,

I registered on this forum because of this thread I've been reading through. Recently I purchased a ZI8 myself and wanted to give my experience with the product.

When I first got my ZI8, I wanted to update the firmware out of the box, so I did that. I updated to 1.06 and ran with it for a few weeks. I started to notice this prevalent white dot/line that would appear in about 90% of my videos. I called Kodak and they recommend that I return the camera, so I did that.

Today I got my new ZI8 in and it's got the default 1.03 firmware in it. I no longer see those white dot/line that was in my other videos... I also took the liberty of testing the audio sync vs the 1.06 I had. I noticed an audio delay when I used 1.06 on my first camera and wanted to ask you guys if you also get it.

At this point I don't know how much of a quality difference there is between 1.03 and 1.06 in low light, but it doesn't seem like a big difference. I know that with 1.06 that the bitrate may be higher since the time you can record is lowered but I'm scared to update to 1.06 with the problems I had in the past.

My other gripe is that the volume doesn't save and you have to manually set it EVERYTIME.

Like the old saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke. 1.03 hasn't given me any issues just yet so I don't know if I will update the firmware yet.

Any advice?

Last edited by gl0ry; Dec 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM.
gl0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:29 PM   #473

Default no audio delay

I have never experienced any audio delay, which has been precisely tested by syncing with external audio sources and using software. I have firmware 1.06. This is for clips ranging from 6 seconds to over an hour.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:38 PM   #474

No sync issues for me either.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 7:40 PM   #475

there was always a slight delay on my other camera. I could easily see it because I could tap something on my desk and the sound would come out maybe 40 milliseconds later.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:05 PM   #476

the cam does not have a audio/synch issue.

If you have the aud/synch it would deffently be like watcing a old Kung-fu movie. is that what you had.

Some may see a lagg when filming in any res, and when you pann the video seems to not be exactly the same , it will be off by a fraction.

Fw 1.03 preloaded and hesitant to load fw1.06, due to a defect prior, would make you kind of not want to load now.

1 if you can live without the zoom, stick with fw 1.03

2 If you can live with hte hand, and not care to see words of EIS stick with fw1.03

3 if you can live with the old proformances, stick with fw 1.03

I hear ya on the audio adjustment, everytime we set, it resets back, wish they could correct with the newer firmware.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:11 PM   #477

A member, if in here, that commented on youtube PM.

He says that hd1080p, and kodak finally admits, the hd1080P is cropped, I wasn't suprized, that is why I say field of dept, or depth of field.

I like watching hd1080p Shows, I love to see the details.

I expect to record in HD1080P, and capture in a wider spectrum, not a narrower field. but hey That's Kodak for ya, admitting cropping of 1920x1080
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:19 PM   #478

It crops? I never knew that. The text quality on the 1080p seems a lot clearer than 720p for me.

Was it confirmed whether or not the newer firm ware lowers recording time? I read it somewhere before and I can attest to it because I'm using the same SDHC card and I got half an hour more on this firmware.

Last edited by gl0ry; Dec 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:29 PM   #479

Person shows video, and what he decifers is hte depth of field, we all see in hd1080P nothing to worry bout.

bitrate, vid recording?

fw 1.03 if the vid hd1080P, 720P etc, etc records 1` min what is the file size in fw 1.03

what is the file size in fw 1.05

what is the file size in fw 1.06?

I am sure it is not that much of a big deal, but hey wait didn't Kodak state up to 10 hours of Hd video LOL. that means why 8 hrs of video then?

so maybe I have to observe this find now
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:11 PM   #480

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ry View Post
It crops? I never knew that. The text quality on the 1080p seems a lot clearer than 720p for me.
The Zi8 has a 5 megapixel (3072x1728) sensor, so it is resizing/cropping from that size down to 19201080 (1080p). So no quality loss.

Now my question is, where do the pixels for digital zoom come from?
Does the camera simply enlarge 1080p resolution?
Or,
Since 1080p is only 2 Megapixels, are the other 3 used for digital zoom?