Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:58 PM   #41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7jvOyGiIE
As this and others are going up Pleas e enjoy the clip as this showsall of the Low level at a night time. hd720P30, and WVGA are within my channal

video if click the pic thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:08 AM   #42
ApG

Kodak Zi8 firmware upgrade 1.05 is up! Get it while its hot!
http://www.kodak.com/global/mul/serv...&pq-path=14091

This firmware version provides WINDOWS 7 compatibility and improves the following features: Audio recording and playbackDigital ZoomUser Interface!

good night!
http://apgfoo.blogspot.com/
ApG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:31 PM   #43

test it out let me know because If
one goes foward , can one go back that is the question, I can live with the issues

Playback Zoom not live feed zoom.

No correction to sound the kodak team is not going say what sound will improve.

It is sad to hear that. I have to P A S S

I asked about the missing Icons of face detec, stab, and ext mic no tshowing on the screens live feed, not tools or settings. and their response was:

1 have you gone to settings.
I said yes.
they said: let me check the cam now
they said in a way its a kodak way. no need for them?
Well I am better off talking to a Ibot, then a chat person of Kodak

If one cares to find their info best to be a phone call.

It is best to know Once you load a Upgrade, you cannot Downgrade. so best to make sure you can live with the Firmware you have if it works fine then leave alone. If you upgrade and do not like you are going to have a Improvement, or a Disappointment. enjoy

Update info. Down grade is possable , if onesaves the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApG View Post
Kodak Zi8 firmware upgrade 1.05 is up! Get it while its hot!
http://www.kodak.com/global/mul/serv...&pq-path=14091

This firmware version provides WINDOWS 7 compatibility and improves the following features: Audio recording and playbackDigital ZoomUser Interface!

good night!

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:49 PM   #44

Mr fishycomics,you said kodak will release a new model of pocket camcorder in january 2010. are you sure of that ? and what new feature that will be added?
bollity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 7:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollity View Post
Mr fishycomics,you said kodak will release a new model of pocket camcorder in january 2010. are you sure of that ? and what new feature that will be added?
by the Kodak vice president he has mentioned this inforlation, and only his company knows whatheyare. you may try your best to contact them.

the rumor goes hd1080P 60fps.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Thank you Wayne.

requests are always welcomed, I thought just doing 720p would have been good enough because it shows the video quality. 30 or 60. so I shall do it for ya at 30. I also have to do WVGA, and forgot the sdhc card.

The pool shot, I do not have any pool shot. And that was the Adm's test. Yellow did not do a great jobas I mentioned above in a post. I filmed a dandilion standing, and macro, and still, viewed hd tv on set, and pc.

excelent Observation of the Pcs proformance. I guess you'll wait one more round (drinks) my pc is best at 720P30-60 for Kodaks Zi8. the DOD f200hd I can handle hd1080P(1920x1080)
Yes, I was referring to the pool video in the other review posted.

Thanks fishy for the footage. I mentioned 60fps non-night mode in very dim light, to test the camera to it's max and see how the higher data rate handles it (30fps gives twice as much light per frame, night mode slower frame rates give more light again, but 60fps is quality and if it looks good there, it is probably good at 30fps, which we can estimate from 60 fps look). 720p mode also gives us pixel binning, so is best HD for low light. All scientific like, whats the name, testing as usual, for less testing.

Looks like the latest ATI cards have been released, so now a matter of deciding how to upgrade (mac, 7+ati or larrabee). Looks like also the 5850 second top card is the optimum performance ati card to buy, but 7770/7750 card available too..

Last edited by Wayne12; Oct 17, 2009 at 1:50 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 1:53 AM   #47

Everybody chasing bigwigs at companies might not be so good, as they might decide to stop talking.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:35 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
Thanks fishy for the footage. I mentioned 60fps non-night mode in very dim light.....,..

Quote:

Fishy, any chance that you could show 720p60 at night in normal mode to give an idea of picture performance? Also, is the 1080 mode of the type that has a much narrower field of view than the 720p mode?....
As I did the shot for, that you requested. HD720P 30, and WVGA 30 nighttime. so now you are saying , you like a low level one at a evening time when the sun is just going down.

Well according to Kodak.com this is not a night time Camcorder rotfl.

this is a bitrate wusing the TMI orTME program of total.

Forget me showing quicktime it saidsomething like 10.88 mbits andeven lower for hd72p, but higher with WVGA 1 mbit higher LOL for it over the hd720P
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:53 AM   #49

Hi,

I just received my Zi8 yesterday and was wondering too if it has a 5MP or 1.6MP sensor, so I did some research.
You can enter a hidden test-menu if you press and hold the "waste bin" and "camera" button while powering on the Zi8. Once there you can scroll down to "FW Version" which will give the following information plus some more, less interesting, numbers:
Code:
Service Information
FW: Zi8-V1.05-1005
HW: Zi8
SW: 586
Time of operation:
Power Cycles:
Total Video Time:
Number of 1080p:
Number of 720p60:
Number of 720p30:
Number of WVGA:
Number of Photo:
Average Video Time:
Lens: OEM
Sensor: MT9M002
ROM: 2MB, STG2: 72MB
WB Cal:2 Bp Cal:2
Shade Cal:1 Ob Cal:1
Now what got my attention here is the Sensor: MT9M002. As far as I have found out, it is the same sensor used in the older models Zi6 and Zx1. You can also easily find a product information flyer for the sensor, it doesn't really give in depth technical information, but states the following facts:

• Optical Format: 1/4.5-inch
  • Active Image Area: 3.24mm x 2.41mm
  • Active Pixels: 1472H x 1096V
  • Pixel Size: 2.2μm x 2.2μm
  • Frame Rate: 1280 x 720 at 60 fps, 1440 x 1080 at 30 fps

According to this, the sensor is really just 1.6MP, and actually intended for recording at 720p + some spare pixels to be used for EIS.

Quote:
Also, is the 1080 mode of the type that has a much narrower field of view than the 720p mode?
Yes, that's how it is, and this is one of the things that made me suspicious in the first place. I'm guessing that an even smaller window than the 1440x1080 of the sensor is used for the "1920x1080" mode and some pixels at the boarder are used for EIS, thus resulting in a narrower field of view. Like i.e. using a window of 1200x900 pixel and scaling it to 1920x1080 for recording.
Also the "5MP" still images, really look like they are just bloated up 1.6MP images, even in decent lighting conditions.

If this is in fact true, I'm really disappointed - it's a bit like Kodak is taking us for a fool or something, with stating the Zi8 has a 5MP sensor (at least they do so in the manual, and it also seems most preview/review sites have this information). The Zi8 is still a pretty fine camera for its price, but this would just feel wrong.
A true 5MP and [email protected] sensor would be i.e. the MT9P401 (1/2.5-inch 5MP CMOS sensor), you can find the product flyer on the net too.

Maybe some of you might want to try and look what sensor information your Zi8 gives, would be even more confusing if there are different versions used (maybe even a real 5MP in some?).

Also I think it might be possible to downgrade the firmware version, the camera seems to flash whatever version you have in the system folder if you press the joystick while in the FW Info menu - but I could not fully confirm this yet, if somebody has a link to the 1.03 fw I will try. The "play" button will take you back to the previous menu.
Update: this is confirmed now, see my next post for more information. Naturally you should probably only try things like that if you know what you are doing it's your own responsibility if you are using undocumented functions.

For those who wonder what changed in 1.03->1.05, two things I noticed were:
  • The jerky zooming of 1.03 while recording video is now smooth
  • The EIS option in the menu now says "EIS" instead of an icon nobody can make sense of
phil

Last edited by crashdebug; Oct 17, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
crashdebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:13 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdebug View Post
Also I think it might be possible to downgrade the firmware version, the camera seems to flash whatever version you have in the system folder if you press the joystick while in the FW Info menu - but I could not fully confirm this yet, if somebody has a link to the 1.03 fw I will try. The "play" button will take you back to the previous menu.

For those who wonder what changed in 1.03->1.05, two things I noticed were:
  • The jerky zooming of 1.03 while recording video is now smooth
  • The EIS option in the menu now says "EIS" instead of an icon nobody can make sense of
phil

Phil welcome aboard again.

the EIS I seen nodda, that is the Icon of the stabilization? rather a Check and X on the last on top, it is now different, and is it as well on the main screen?

Here is the FW 1.03 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LV71XD9X

So when firmware is at Kodak, they automatically delte older as well wow glad I saved it.

Let me know and I am holding out not to Upgrade unless I get a honest answer.

I am content. and happy .

Can you say

I N T E R P O LA T E D