Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:54 PM   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
Yes I know. The sensor should be easy to bypass/remove.
Are there phillips#-1 screwdrivers? I don't want to grind my screwdriver to make it shallower...
I think its the sound of protruding bits of one plastic gear falling into the other plastic gear its holes. I wouldn't wanna mess with it unless you want to ruin the precise distance of the lens assembly from the CMOS sensor. This goes about microinches !
maicod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:03 PM   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
Hi I had the same problem but someone noted me that they have it for sale when you call them by telephone which I did and I then gave my credit card details and they sent the remote control to me. I received it 5 days ago.

I called the Dutch telephone number but it put me through to Scotland (they just have Dutch speaking persons based in the same building) but someone else from Scotland himself (the one who noted me) bought it via the UK phone number.

It is: 08702430270 or 00448702430270 when you call from outside UK
Thanks for the info Maicod, I will call them first thing in the morning!
=Alex= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:06 PM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Alex= View Post
Thanks for the info Maicod, I will call them first thing in the morning!
your welcome
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:49 PM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicod View Post
I wouldn't wanna mess with it unless you want to ruin the precise distance of the lens assembly from the CMOS sensor. This goes about microinches !
Once I find a suitable screwdriver I'll open it up to disable the sensor, I bet it's located on the switch/gears rather than the lens.

Lens elements on these CMOS sensors are either mounted on threads, or fixed in place with a bracket. (From what I've seen, some cellphones even have lens built directly on sensor lol..)

Or we can tell Kodak to let us zoom in macro mode!
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:55 PM   #505

Quote:
Once I find a suitable screwdriver I'll open it up to disable the sensor, I bet it's located on the switch/gears rather than the lens.

Lens elements on these CMOS sensors are either mounted on threads, or fixed in place with a bracket. (From what I've seen, some cellphones even have lens built directly on sensor lol..)

Or we can tell Kodak to let us zoom in macro mode!
do what you can't refrain yourself from. Its YOUR Zi8
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:31 AM   #506

I understand NothingRare's desire to hack his way into fixes/new features. I find it hard myself not to try different "hacks" out with my equipment. For example I've been crossflashing my optical drives in the past with different firmwares (which were meant to be for updated models), in order to unlock new features. I've also modified my three older nVidia cards BIOS or crossflashed the cards with BIOS from updated compatible models to unlock hidden pipelines etc. Thankfully I've never had a dead drive/card as a result, but other users have managed to kill their equipment this way (not to mention invalidating the guarantee). Sometimes it's hard not to try when you got the "bug" for such a thing. I personally wouldn't open my Zi8 though, I'd rather wait for a Kodac fix.

I've ordered the remote controller from the Kodak phone number you gave me maicod, there were only two in stock so your advice was perfect in its timing! Thanks again!

Last edited by =Alex=; Dec 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:36 AM   #507

so we want to have a macro zoom, in record, and that is why we're opening up?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:51 PM   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Alex= View Post
I've ordered the remote controller from the Kodak phone number you gave me maicod, there were only two in stock so your advice was perfect in its timing! Thanks again!
no problem !
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:33 PM   #509

I give up. Kodak wins. The Zi8 screws are so ridiculously tight it twisted one of my screwdrivers...that's how tight it is!

Also,
I ordered a macro and 2x telephoto lens... But it's been 3 weeks and it hasn't arrived yet

Last edited by NothingRare; Dec 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:05 AM   #510

Quote:
I give up. Kodak wins. The Zi8 screws are so ridiculously tight it twisted one of my screwdrivers...that's how tight it is!

Also,
I ordered a macro and 2x telephoto lens... But it's been 3 weeks and it hasn't arrived yet
NothingRare, can you provide links to the lens you bought? Thanks.